Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-04-2019, 11:36 PM   #15
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
For one I would definitely install a Melling high volume oil pump not the Genuine GM stock L99 oil pump that would be a mistake when you lack lubricantion. I recommend the LS7 lifters they never failed when I installed my last camshaft. People will recommend what they had good luck using. I recommend giving TSP a call and asking them your questions. I have mixed comments about pushrods because I had my pushrods bend before soon after one of my camshaft installs.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:01 AM   #16
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
I have mixed comments about pushrods because I had my pushrods bend before soon after one of my camshaft installs.
Pushrods bending soon after a cam install sounds like you had a valvetrain geometry issue - such as too long of a pushrod.

The more aggressive profile of a non-factory cam, along with the significantly heavier springs used to control the valves that are now being actuated more aggressive and at higher speeds, really should have a pushrod of suitable strength to stand up to the increased loads. Also, and just as critical as the strength component, is the length. Changes in cam base circle, head milling, lifters, etc can all impact the required pushrod length. Lifter preload should really be carefully checked with any change to the valvetrain, and then a suitable length pushrod selected.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:39 AM   #17
PhantomBlack

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueovalman View Post
For one I would definitely install a Melling high volume oil pump not the Genuine GM stock L99 oil pump that would be a mistake when you lack lubricantion. I recommend the LS7 lifters they never failed when I installed my last camshaft. People will recommend what they had good luck using. I recommend giving TSP a call and asking them your questions. I have mixed comments about pushrods because I had my pushrods bend before soon after one of my camshaft installs.
I'm surprised to hear that about the L99 pump. It's a high volume pump from the factory but I'll look into the melling as well since they are about the same in price! Your second to recommend the LS3/LS7 lifters so I'll keep those in mind as well.
PhantomBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 07:45 AM   #18
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBlack View Post
I'm surprised to hear that about the L99 pump. It's a high volume pump from the factory but I'll look into the melling as well since they are about the same in price! Your second to recommend the LS3/LS7 lifters so I'll keep those in mind as well.
I've heard the same, the L99 pump is a pretty good piece and unless you're high miles not really something you need to worry about. The LS3 pumps are the ones people get tight about - a small percentage (like under 5% would be my guess - there is no actual data) of guys have had the bypass stick open. If that happened on the big end of the drag strip under heavy load and high rpm I could see it doing major damage before you got out of the throttle, but most of the time it's just cruising along lightly - you get the low oil pressure warning (happens immediately), you step on the clutch, cut the engine off, and get a tow.

I sent my LS3 pump right back in at 30k, got it spaced and shimmed properly. If it fails that's just the cars way of telling me it's time for something more wild.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:45 AM   #19
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
im running the chevrolet performance LS3/LS7 lifters

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #20
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
If it fails that's just the cars way of telling me it's time for something more wild.
:cl ap2:

Bone Stock
Old 06-07-2019, 11:22 PM   #21
PhantomBlack

I thought I'd give you all an update. The car is currently at GPI getting worked on and here is the final parts list that's being installed:

Camshaft: GPI - L99 SS1 VVT

Valve Springs: Brian Tooley Racing - .660" Lift Platinum Valve Spring Kit for LSx Engines (SK001)

Retainer: Titanium

Locator Type: .505" ID .060" Thick (Standard Size)

Pushrods: GPI - 5/16" Hardened Pushrods for LS1 / LS2 / LS6 / L92 / LS3 / L99 - 7.425"

Phaser Limiter: GPI - L99 VVT Cam Phaser Limiter Kit

Lifters: Chevrolet Performance - Set of 16 OEM Hydraulic Roller Lifter Kit Gen III and IV LS-Series GM Engines (12499225)

Lifter Trays: Chevrolet Performance - Set of 4 LS2 and Newer Lifter Trays (12595365-4)

Crank Bolt: Chevrolet Performance - Crankshaft Damper Bolt for LS engines (12557840)

Timing Cover Seal: Chevrolet Performance - LSx Timing Cover/Damper Seal (12585673)

Timing Cover Gasket: Chevrolet Performance - Timing Cover Gaskets (12633904)

Head Gasket: Chevrolet Performance - Cylinder Head Gasket LS3 / L92 6.2L - Standard LS Bolt Pattern (12610046-set)

Head Bolt / Stud Kit: Chevrolet Performance - Head Bolts for 2004 and Newer LS Engines (17800568-2)

Valley Cover: Chevrolet Performance - Lifter Valley Cover Chevy Small Block Gen III/IV LS Engines (12599296)

Valve Cover Gasket: Chevrolet Performance - Set of 2 Valve Cover Gasket Chevy LS1 / LS2 / LS6 / LS7 / L92 (12637683-2)

Water Pump Gasket Seal: Chevrolet Performance - Set of 2 LS Water Pump Gasket (12630223-2)

PCV Tube: Chevrolet Performance - PCV Breather Hose (12599298)

Camshaft Sprocket Bolt: Chevrolet Performance - VVT Camshaft Sprocket Bolt (12682000)

Timing Chain Damper: Chevrolet Performance - LS2 / LS3 / LS7 Timing Chain Dampener (12588670)

GPI - LS3 Micro-Polished Rocker Arm with Bronze Bushing Upgrade

Chevrolet Performance - Heavy Duty Timing Chain (12646386)

Eaton TruTrac Differential 2010-2015 Camaro SS

GM Performance - 3.91 Gear Set - Fits 2010-2015 Camaro SS

Chevrolet Performance - High Volume LS Oil Pump (12612289)

Mishimoto (MMTS-VET-05) 169 Thermostat (Chevrolet Camaro SS/ZL1)

ACDelco Iridium Spark Plugs (41-162)

GPI Ported Rod Mod Intake

Texas Speed 1 7/8 Long Tubes w/HF cats

Ok now that's all out of the way the car has been in the shop for 2 days now and the gears and trutrac has been installed and they started taking apart the engine. So today I stopped by to check out the progress and like everyone here has mentioned these guys are real easy to talk to. They've been really helpful since I first walked in the shop. While I was there I was chatting with one of the techs that was getting ready to take the heads off my car. I was telling him about how glad I am to get rid of all the AFM stuff and how I have always had a "lifter tick" which was really annoying since I've owned the car. Well.....

He removed the rocker arms on the drivers side and 3 out of the 8 were busted!! Needle's and pieces of metal from the rockers gone! We were both shocked. So they took the engine out of the Camaro and decided to dig deeper. They dropped the oil pan and started inspecting, see pics below. It was starting to get late in the day at this point, but as of now they have not seen ANY damage to the engine. All of the needle bearings were in the oil pan and pickup tube. How crazy is that?!

Old 06-07-2019, 11:34 PM   #22
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

good to hear a "happy ending"

GPI is definitely the business

even in california we know about those class act fellas

Bone Stock
Old 06-08-2019, 05:42 AM   #23
GRNFLSH

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
I helped a friend with his cam swap (GPI VVT SS2) and ran I the same situation but only one rocker failed. The good news is the GM oil pickup screen did its job and prevented further damage.

By the way, your gonna love the setup you just described. I bet there’s a stall converter in your future.
BTR .660 springs, Straub solid bushing trunions
GPI rod-mod intake with I-M heat sheild
Circle D 258mm Pro single disc 3700 rpm stall converter
169F thermostat & manual fan switch
Tuned by Ryno at GPI - 455 RWHP / 416 lb-ft
GRNFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #24
PhantomBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
good to hear a "happy ending"

GPI is definitely the business

even in california we know about those class act fellas

I'm not out of the woods yet, but it's looking pretty good.
Because of this little mishap I can't afford to add in the Powerbond UDP to the build sheet.
But all in all I'm still very happy that my car is in good hands!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNFLSH View Post
I helped a friend with his cam swap (GPI VVT SS2) and ran I the same situation but only one rocker failed. The good news is the GM oil pickup screen did its job and prevented further damage.

By the way, your gonna love the setup you just described. I bet there’s a stall converter in your future.
That's really good to hear. I thought I was the only one that had this happen to a pretty much stock car.
I knew this car had a rough past (ex rental), but damn I wasn't expecting that lol.

There may be a stall in the future and thanks I can't wait to get her back out on the road!
I see we have similar mods, are you still happy with the power jump? Or are you wanting more power?
Old 06-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #25
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Motors out!! Get a stall in that car now!! Best mod you can do to a auto car IMO!!
2011 Camaro 2SS, 6.0 iron block forged bottom end, Dart heads, BTR intake, Huron twin turbo kit, Summit stage 3 twin turbo cam, Circle D stage 4 6L90, 3800 FTI converter. BMR suspension, Viking coil overs, Fore triple pump fuel system.
IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #26
Rob Russell

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS L99
Great cam of choice! I ended up backing my VVT SS1 with a 3600 triple disc from Circle D. I honestly wish I would’ve done the stall long before the cam upgrade. If you do a stall be sure and get a good trans cooler as well. Cheap investment and will keep your trans happy for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #27
GRNFLSH

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBlack View Post
I see we have similar mods, are you still happy with the power jump? Or are you wanting more power?
Yes, I’m very happy with the power for my goals, which was to be a solid 11 second car that can comfortably cruise the streets and sounds like a beast.

After adding a converter the next issue becomes traction because the engine ramps straight into its power curve when you romp on it. Over the winter I picked up some 17” Racestar’s and M/T ET Street drag radials which hook up very well. I also added Pegasus solid subframe bushings and was really surprised at how solid the car feels now, no wiggles or swaying, it like it’s on rails. I don’t think I’ll ever be done, I’m always planning and saving for the next round of mods.
BTR .660 springs, Straub solid bushing trunions
GPI rod-mod intake with I-M heat sheild
Circle D 258mm Pro single disc 3700 rpm stall converter
169F thermostat & manual fan switch
Tuned by Ryno at GPI - 455 RWHP / 416 lb-ft
GRNFLSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:39 PM   #28
PhantomBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKILLEDSUPERMAN_ZL1 View Post
Motors out!! Get a stall in that car now!! Best mod you can do to a auto car IMO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
Great cam of choice! I ended up backing my VVT SS1 with a 3600 triple disc from Circle D. I honestly wish I would’ve done the stall long before the cam upgrade. If you do a stall be sure and get a good trans cooler as well. Cheap investment and will keep your trans happy for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for all the input guys. I'd have to save up for one in the future. I've spent enough on this trip already.
But one of the reasons I went SS1 is because I know it works well with a blower and the guys at GPI suggested if I do go that route it would be best to let them spec a converter that will pair well with the blower when that time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNFLSH View Post
Yes, I’m very happy with the power for my goals, which was to be a solid 11 second car that can comfortably cruise the streets and sounds like a beast.

After adding a converter the next issue becomes traction because the engine ramps straight into its power curve when you romp on it. Over the winter I picked up some 17” Racestar’s and M/T ET Street drag radials which hook up very well. I also added Pegasus solid subframe bushings and was really surprised at how solid the car feels now, no wiggles or swaying, it like it’s on rails. I don’t think I’ll ever be done, I’m always planning and saving for the next round of mods.
That's awesome! And I know what you mean, car modding never stops.
The solid subframe bushings are definitely on my list, along with some BMR and z28 suspension parts.
Those will probably be the next thing I tackle since I added a bit more power.