Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #29
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_rider View Post
Well, I'm french and I have just driven an auto once in my life. We're a manual nation, very few people get auto overhere.
So it's all about being used to. I feel awkward when driving an auto, and stick is just natural to me.

No offence to those driving auto, but to me auto is just about some kinda "lazyness" (unless you're driving a Formula 1).

Stick isn't uncomfortable, stick is fun!!

PS: don't mind about being flamed, it always happen and calms down, you might not get well understood and some overhere might have a bad day before answering!
Sir, do you honestly think that saying no offense just before you say something that some will find offensive makes it OK to say it anyway???...
Old 03-30-2014, 04:38 PM   #30
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
I have 2ss/rs automatic and I am really close to being just as good or even better than the 1le suspension. I also got the 3.91 gears in my already aggressive trans. It is super fun and goes around corners like no other! I would say get the auto then upgrade it. But if you get the gears your gonna need a bigger cam.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #31
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Sir, do you honestly think that saying no offense just before you say something that some will find offensive makes it OK to say it anyway???...
reminds me of ricky bobby. wish i had that clip.

nm, found it. should be safe. with all due respect.

Updated w/ Willow Springs:
1. Nissan GTR Track Pack 1:19.6 2. Ducati 1198 S 1:19.7 3. Nissan GTR 1:20.3 4. Corvette Z06 1:20.4
5. Audi R8 V10 Plus 1:22.0 6. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:22.3
7. CAMARO SS 1LE 1:22.7
8. Shelby GT 500 1:23.5
9. Mustang Gt Track Pack 1:25.8
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #32
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beany323 View Post
reminds me of ricky bobby. wish i had that clip.

nm, found it. should be safe. with all due respect.

Yeah, I remember that...
Old 03-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #33
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Please consider the fact english isn't my native language and that "lazyness" was put between brackets to show that was both volontarily and unvolontarily "excessive".

Still, culturally, auto cars are still kinda uncommon overhere, and, still no offence but just giving some facts, here in France, auto cars are, most of the time, big wide Mercedes/BMW owned by old guys or crappy SUV owned by soccer moms.

From a European perspective, shifting is part of the pleasure of driving. Camaros are pleasure cars (not duty cars like a Golf or Cruze would be). Very hard to understand why would someone buy a hipo pleasure car with auto.

(yeah, ferraris and lambos have auto, and paddles, still you'll recognize it is not the same world, and that a Ferrari auto gear box isn't really close to what a chevy gear box would be).

I mean, to me is like if I put Spark wheels on a Camaro because it would be more fuel efficient and less noisy ... I can see the advantages, still I can't see why looking for these advantages in such a car.

I guess the fact Z28 and 1LE don't/won't exist in auto somehow means my feeling is kinda supported by GM engineers ...

so, trully, from the deepest of my heart, I do not want to hurt or offence anyone, I'm just expressing an opinion that is partially cultural and that is, anyway, my opinion. Might be offensive to some, still, it's my opinion and guess I shouldn't apologize for having one!

Again, sorry for my crappy english. I love you all and just want you all to be happy with your cars. no competition into models, years, or driving style. just have fun your ways.

Ps: Seriously asking: Manual shifting is THAT annoying??? In a sports car?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #34
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Please consider the fact english isn't my native language and that "lazyness" was put between brackets to show that was both volontarily and unvolontarily "excessive".

Still, culturally, auto cars are still kinda uncommon overhere, and, still no offence but just giving some facts, here in France, auto cars are, most of the time, big wide Mercedes/BMW owned by old guys or crappy SUV owned by soccer moms.

From a European perspective, shifting is part of the pleasure of driving. Camaros are pleasure cars (not duty cars like a Golf or Cruze would be). Very hard to understand why would someone buy a hipo pleasure car with auto.

(yeah, ferraris and lambos have auto, and paddles, still you'll recognize it is not the same world, and that a Ferrari auto gear box isn't really close to what a chevy gear box would be).

I mean, to me is like if I put Spark wheels on a Camaro because it would be more fuel efficient and less noisy ... I can see the advantages, still I can't see why looking for these advantages in such a car.

I guess the fact Z28 and 1LE don't/won't exist in auto somehow means my feeling is kinda supported by GM engineers ...

so, trully, from the deepest of my heart, I do not want to hurt or offence anyone, I'm just expressing an opinion that is partially cultural and that is, anyway, my opinion. Might be offensive to some, still, it's my opinion and guess I shouldn't apologize for having one!

Again, sorry for my crappy english. I love you all and just want you all to be happy with your cars. no competition into models, years, or driving style. just have fun your ways.

Well, I think your English is a lot better than many people born in this country speak.
There are really many reasons for owning an automatic in the U.S.A. For one we are a country of commuters, and owing a manual on a daily city commute can be annoying after a while.
Another reason can be physical problems. I worked at a industrial job where I had to at many times crawl around on my hands and knees under equipment to work on it. After about 14 years of this my knees were worn out. Using a clutch in my daily commute would sometimes be very painful. I learned how bad it had gotten when a group of people I knew met for a weekend of driving our sportscars in the mountains. After the first day we had made a 6 hour round trip lots of shifting all day , when we got back to the lodge I could hardly walk. The next day my knee was swollen and very tender. After I got home it took 3 days before I could drive that car again. The next week I traded it for a similar car with an automatic. Now I still own a truck with a manual transmission but I don't drive it often, when I do have to all those old pains return. It's not fun at all.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #35
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
Quote:

I would agree with you 100% in your opinion of these cars. It sounds like to me that you " get it" when it comes to the 1LE. It is an absolute pleasure to own and drive. I would definitely recommend you getting one. I have owned all 3 versions of the 5th gen SS i.e...Auto SS/ Manual SS/ 1LE SS , and without a doubt the 1LE is a completely different animal..Get the 1LE if you are considering it. If you don't I am afraid you will regret it. And no shifting is NOT annoying at all in this car IMO
Old 03-30-2014, 10:17 PM   #36
Boydr12

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, 2013 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 954camaro View Post
I have 2ss/rs automatic and I am really close to being just as good or even better than the 1le suspension. I also got the 3.91 gears in my already aggressive trans. It is super fun and goes around corners like no other! I would say get the auto then upgrade it. But if you get the gears your gonna need a bigger cam.
Boooo automatic, get out of our 1LE forum!
Boydr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:36 AM   #37
954camaro

Drives: Camaro SS/RS inferno red interior
^hahaha
Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 PM   #38
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydr12 View Post
Boooo automatic, get out of our 1LE forum!
Lol.... Oh wait stop it! We are gonna drown in the tears....

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #39
DaemonGPF
Redonkulous

Drives: Camaro
WOW this thread escalated rapidly..

All sorts of anger, chips on shoulders, haters and elitists exposed from all angles and perspectives. Quite astounding the jabs being lofted back and forth among what should be enthusiasts of the same proverbial cloth. Way to draw more enthusiasts in, guys.

OP - I'm assuming positive intent and that your post was legitimate. That said, screw everyone else that gave you absolutely nothing useful to go on. Props to those who took the time to indulge your questions without being ass hats about it.

It's pretty simple - get what will suit you the most. If auto vs. manual is a major consideration, don't compromise on it. You won't be happy in the long run. Don't let anyone give you crap if you choose to go auto - they are lower maint. and shift quicker than anyone on here can with a standard. I prefer manual in my performance cars and the 1LE suits my tastes, but that doesn't make my choice the right one for you. Who cares what anyone else may think about your decision. The manual transmission, gearing, suspension and wheel/tire setup in the 1LE makes sense for the target objective that the 1LE is designed for. If you're more into drag racing rather than autocross or road courses then a regular SS makes more sense for many reasons - in manual or automatic. It's not hard to replicate the look of a 1LE with some powder coating or plastidip, and some vinyl wrapping. It is quite expensive to try and turn an SS into a 1LE performance-wise after the fact. It's also more expensive to continually maintain and operate a 1LE. Some are willing to pay to support this sort of machine. Others aren't. Some like it, some don't. Some would rather build something custom to their liking. To each their own.

Best advice I can give - go drive a 1LE, and an SS (auto and manual). Go from there. In the end, they are all awesome machines with great performance and looks in which anyone on here should be appreciative to even own in the first place, without the need to bag on someone else's preference.

DaemonGPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #40
alv927

Drives: 2013 camaro 2ss/rs dusk edition
the manual trans doesn't have issues with hills because of the hill assist option, in this case its really easy to drive as apposed to earlier models. Traffic does suck tho from time to time.
alv927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #41
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
Learning how to drive a manual will be a very rewarding experience.
May be better to start with a friends beater if you know someone who
has one.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:14 AM   #42
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
Quote:
Well, I think your English is a lot better than many people born in this country speak.
There are really many reasons for owning an automatic in the U.S.A. For one we are a country of commuters, and owing a manual on a daily city commute can be annoying after a while.
Another reason can be physical problems. I worked at a industrial job where I had to at many times crawl around on my hands and knees under equipment to work on it. After about 14 years of this my knees were worn out. Using a clutch in my daily commute would sometimes be very painful. I learned how bad it had gotten when a group of people I knew met for a weekend of driving our sportscars in the mountains. After the first day we had made a 6 hour round trip lots of shifting all day , when we got back to the lodge I could hardly walk. The next day my knee was swollen and very tender. After I got home it took 3 days before I could drive that car again. The next week I traded it for a similar car with an automatic. Now I still own a truck with a manual transmission but I don't drive it often, when I do have to all those old pains return. It's not fun at all.
Makes completely sense. In that case, would think Auto is the way to go and that stiffer (but not that stiff though) 1LE suspension might be a no-go either regarding back pains and so on!