Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #29
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Do superchargers shorten engine life?
if ur pushing the engine past its limitations
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #30
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
I beg to differ, my muffler/header combo has indeed produced solid numbers. And done after being on the car better then a week each, so the ECM had more then enough time to compensate. Headers alone added just over 5rwhp and 8rwtq, and did it throughout the powerband, not just at peak.
So your header/muffler combo is yielding around ten horses? That isn't too bad I suppose. It's not exactly great bang for the buck, but not too bad. It's certainly better than a friend I know who saw more like 20+ hp from headers, full cat back exhaust w/ cat eliminated, just to see it go back to a couple horses over his baseline when the computer "re-learned".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrray13 View Post
That said, smoothing out the intake tube has shown to help, not a complete CAI. Tune is getting tweaked, and IAT relocation has shown small gains for little coin.

It all depends on how much power you want for your dollar. n2o is hard to beat in that area, although turbo/superchargers, IMHO, are more reliable overall, but then again, they are more expensive.

As a note, I have done the IAT relocation, Flowmaster mufflers and JBA shortie headers. I've got $900 in my mods total, that includes labor and dyno time. Not a bang for the budget type of gain, roughly $90 per rwhp gained, but it's a start. That's also an estimate as I never did a bonestock dyno pull. I do know for certain what the IAT and headers added seperately as those were pulled after the first pull with axle back.

For what it is worth, as soon as the tune is figured out, maybe before then, I might go n2o, but if it is before tune, it'll be small shots, ala 35hp tops. After a tune gets figured out, who knows? Forced induction is looking better all the time though, lol.!!
I wanna see the tune get figured out as well. I wasn't trying to put down the future of modding the LLT engine, just that at this point in time the situation is muddy at best. I may go n20 as well, but waiting to see what price point the LPE supercharger comes in at. The LLT engine has much potential, it's just at the moment, there doesn't seem to be that "no-brainer" mod that is cheap and provides nice results aside from n20.

Last edited by bng804; 01-14-2010 at 05:33 PM.
bng804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #31
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Yeah, this car is very different beast than my 2005 V6 Stang... With the Stang a $50 take off GT muffler was good for 10 RWHP! A tune was good for 12 RWHP and almost 20 RWTQ! Add a good intake you you've added 30 RWHP with just very simple bolt-ons! Stock the car was 170 RWHP but with the bolt-ons I was just over 200 RWHP...

Not having the same luck with the Camaro... still doing a some head scratching... but have a few ideas...

Now the best bang for the buck right now though is going to N20... however N20 really is strictly a track thing... N20 at the track is an absolute thrill! But that's where it needs to stay...

I think a small turbo or two would really be ideal!
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #32
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bng804 View Post
.... It's certainly better than a friend I know who saw more like 20+ hp from headers, full cat back exhaust w/ cat eliminated, just to see it go back to a couple horses over his baseline when the computer "re-learned".
So your buddy's car actually cut off that much power after "relearning"? I was a bit sceptical that the computer actually did this (even though I was leaning towards the "yes it actually does" side lol) but if he dynoed again later after the 20+ gain and lost most of it...well I guess that pretty much confirms it.

That sucks!

Chevy..we want a new ECM that does not do this!! lol.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #33
TonyNo

Drives: 2016 2SS, SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by marley. View Post
There's an SShole in every crowd aint there.
Is this the first use of that? I love it!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #34
bng804

Drives: '10 Victory Red 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
So your buddy's car actually cut off that much power after "relearning"? I was a bit sceptical that the computer actually did this (even though I was leaning towards the "yes it actually does" side lol) but if he dynoed again later after the 20+ gain and lost most of it...well I guess that pretty much confirms it.

That sucks!

Chevy..we want a new ECM that does not do this!! lol.
I don't think we're sure what causes this, but yeah he seems to have lost much of his gains. I'll see if I can get a hold of his dyno runs and post them on here. He was about to pull the trigger on the tune, but with the lackluster success of that at the moment, I think he's just gonna wait and let the bugs get worked out.
bng804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #35
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
So your header/muffler combo is yielding around ten horses? That isn't too bad I suppose. It's not exactly great bang for the buck, but not too bad. It's certainly better than a friend I know who saw more like 20+ hp from headers, full cat back exhaust w/ cat eliminated, just to see it go back to a couple horses over his baseline when the computer "re-learned".
Yeah, I'd say approximately 10rwhp. Also, since the mods had been on the car for better then a week, two weeks from install of the headers to the dyno run, I'm fairly certain the gains are there to stay. I also think the ECM can't "compensate" for the exhaust as much as it gain the intake. All it can monitor is A/F trim in the exhaust side. Albeit that is fairly important. At approximately $90 per rwhp, you're right, it isn't going to win a bang for the buck competition, but it does work, and it sounds good!! Worth it for me.

Quote:
I wanna see the tune get figured out as well. I wasn't trying to put down the future of modding the LLT engine, just that at this point in time the situation is muddy at best. I may go n20 as well, but waiting to see what price point the LPE supercharger comes in at. The LLT engine has much potential, it's just at the moment, there doesn't seem to be that "no-brainer" mod that is cheap and provides nice results aside from n20.
I understand, and I agree. I think exhaust and smoothing, again not necessarily a complete CAI, of the intake tube ala scrming removing the silencer, is the best bolt on, bang for the buck mods one can do without a tune.

The tune, when figured out, I'm sure will get us 10-12 more rwhp, at least that's what I'm hoping for. This ECM is our motors downside right now. The potential, to me, of the LLT is substantial. We just need the right key to unlock it, lol.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #36
marley.
OCD

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNo View Post
Is this the first use of that? I love it!
Yeah I just came up with it this morning when I read that guys post. I was so mad that people can be such scumbags I wanted to say a lot more but didnt wanna get banned so I came up with that.
marley. is offline   Reply With Quote