Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2020, 10:04 PM   #1
Ls_Camaro

Drives: A Vette
Black or Ashen gray metallic ZL1?

In your opinion which color looks better on the ZL1 and really makes it’s prescense look more raw? Black or Ashen gray metallic?
Ls_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:16 PM   #2
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
HMM let me think about this
Old 02-10-2020, 10:17 PM   #3
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Ashen Gray...
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
13BlackBettyZL1

Drives: 13 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, 19 Ram 150
Choices, choices, choices
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2020, 01:26 AM   #5
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
Ah, LS I see you have narrowed your search considerably. I really like the AGM cars but nothing is more sinister than a well detailed all black car, especially a Camaro. The only drawback is keeping them clean, even more difficult for a daily driver. The AGM looks menacing in it's own way since all the trim items (spoiler, splitter, ground fx) are black. Both command attention just because they are 5th gens. You really can't go wrong either way.
Attached Images

ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:52 AM   #6
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
You're going to get ~59 different answers. Appearance is 100% subjective. Choose the one that you like best.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #7
Coop[580

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Ashen Grey
Grey all day!!!
Attached Images

635/632-93 octane
725/738-E85
Coop[580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #8
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Purely subjective; Its a matter of taste. All of the colors look good on ZL1.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Ashen grey!!

It's prob the only color I'd trade my VR ZL1 for.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #10
rednecks70

Drives: 2013 AGM ZL1, '70 Chevelle 454
I had the same problem and it was a tough decision. Ended up going with
Ashen Gray Metallic and couldn't be happier. I had several black cars in the past but never dark gray so it made my decision a little easier.

Just be aware if you go gray it will look black in the shade, I had more than one person say "I thought you said it was gray?". Also, it will show water spots like a black car, I'm constantly cleaning mine.

Good luck, either way it's an awesome car!
rednecks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednecks70 View Post
I had the same problem and it was a tough decision. Ended up going with
Ashen Gray Metallic and couldn't be happier. I had several black cars in the past but never dark gray so it made my decision a little easier.

Just be aware if you go gray it will look black in the shade, I had more than one person say "I thought you said it was gray?". Also, it will show water spots like a black car, I'm constantly cleaning mine.

Good luck, either way it's an awesome car!
Same with my imperial blue metallic, in certain lightings it’s looks almost black.
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
CFrance

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2013 LS
I was debating between these two colors and ended up going with black. It is a weekend/sunny day car so not a big deal to keep it clean.

In my opinion ashen gray can look really good but it doesn't always...

Just this weekend I saw a 100% stock ashen gray ZL1 at a car meet and honestly wasn't a fan. I like the color ashen gray itself but this one had the silver wheels and the hood insert was painted gray as well. The side rockers and lower grill/splitter just blend in with the gray.
With mine being black, the side rockers and lower grill stand out a little more, and the exposed carbon fiber hood insert just pops on the black. I also have the black wheels and went with more of a blacked out look.

Of course I am slightly biased because I love my car but even my brother who was with me said the same thing. When totally stock the gray with the silver wheels and a painted insert just didn't look as special.

My buddy has an ashen gray convertible with the black wheels, blacked out windows and taillights, of course the convertible top is black, and he pained his hood insert, side rockers, and lower grill black and it looks amazing! I almost went with ashen gray because of how amazing his looks.

So like I said, I think the ashen gray can look amazing with just a few visual mods. Of course, that's just my opinion.
CFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:53 PM   #13
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Ah, LS I see you have narrowed your search considerably. I really like the AGM cars but nothing is more sinister than a well detailed all black car, especially a Camaro. The only drawback is keeping them clean, even more difficult for a daily driver. The AGM looks menacing in it's own way since all the trim items (spoiler, splitter, ground fx) are black. Both command attention just because they are 5th gens. You really can't go wrong either way.

Good post! I’ve also seen a Z28 in ashen gray metallic in person it certainly looked good but I think your right about the black. The AGM does have its advantage because of the black trim contrast with the spoilers that’s also why I was kind of between the two colors. Nice picture btw! Oh and don’t worry Arizona I’m still about them Z28’s too. The Z28 definitely black. =)
Old 02-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #14
Ls_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I was debating between these two colors and ended up going with black. It is a weekend/sunny day car so not a big deal to keep it clean.

In my opinion ashen gray can look really good but it doesn't always...

Just this weekend I saw a 100% stock ashen gray ZL1 at a car meet and honestly wasn't a fan. I like the color ashen gray itself but this one had the silver wheels and the hood insert was painted gray as well. The side rockers and lower grill/splitter just blend in with the gray.
With mine being black, the side rockers and lower grill stand out a little more, and the exposed carbon fiber hood insert just pops on the black. I also have the black wheels and went with more of a blacked out look.

Of course I am slightly biased because I love my car but even my brother who was with me said the same thing. When totally stock the gray with the silver wheels and a painted insert just didn't look as special.

My buddy has an ashen gray convertible with the black wheels, blacked out windows and taillights, of course the convertible top is black, and he pained his hood insert, side rockers, and lower grill black and it looks amazing! I almost went with ashen gray because of how amazing his looks.

So like I said, I think the ashen gray can look amazing with just a few visual mods. Of course, that's just my opinion.
True man thanks for sharing! Yea if it had to be a ZL1 definitley with the black OEM rims. I like them best in my opinion on the ZL1. The Z28's rims alone are just wow! AGM can look good with black out spoilers and other fenders. Goes hand in hand with that color.