Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #1
NJ20102SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Want to change the door panels and dash trim to yellow

Thinking about swapping out the silver door panels and dash strips for the Rally Yellow ones. Any info from someone who has done this? Will my factory ambient lighting on the doors still work? Thanks!
Comp cam, Hooker Blackheart 1 7/8" SS long tube headers; titanium wrapped, CAI cold air intake, ARH high flow cats, Borla ATAK exhaust, QTP cut-outs with wireless remotes, Black Magic front and rear sway bars, Hurst shifter, 21" factory wheels, OEM ground effects, dyno-tuned by JP Superior Solutions.
NJ20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
I bought the gm kit. The ambient lighting swaps right over. Took a couple hours to install. The only issue is the factory ice blue color with the rally yellow door panels created a aqua green ambient light. LOL

I was thinking about using vinyl or even having them painted but I'm glad I got the gm kit. They look fantastic.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:53 PM   #3
NJ20102SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
I bought the gm kit. The ambient lighting swaps right over. Took a couple hours to install. The only issue is the factory ice blue color with the rally yellow door panels created a aqua green ambient light. LOL

I was thinking about using vinyl or even having them painted but I'm glad I got the gm kit. They look fantastic.
Thanks for the response! The kit I'm looking at is a factory GM kit....should be the same one you have. Any chance you have pics of it installed....including how it lights up at night?

I haven't taken the door panels apart. I'm assuming it's relatively easy to get the panels off? I have a bunch of dash removal tools, so I should be set there.

What's involved with transferring the ambient lighting to the new panels?
Comp cam, Hooker Blackheart 1 7/8" SS long tube headers; titanium wrapped, CAI cold air intake, ARH high flow cats, Borla ATAK exhaust, QTP cut-outs with wireless remotes, Black Magic front and rear sway bars, Hurst shifter, 21" factory wheels, OEM ground effects, dyno-tuned by JP Superior Solutions.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Try these:

https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1874

https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2084
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
NJ20102SS

Thanks! I looked at RPI's site earlier and only saw the one's that said they didn't work with the ambient lighting. Didn't see the one's that said they work with ABL. So, ended up ordering GM one's....which were $55 more.....but apparently they're GM...OEM parts. They'll be here this week...can't wait to install them!
Old 04-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #6
jmroslin

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2 LT
The only thing that was hard to get off was the plastic rivets that are melted on to the door trim itself. A little sanding will get it off

Sent from my SM-N9300 using Tapatalk
jmroslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #7
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

I used a putty knife and hammer to simply cut the melted part of the rivet head cleanly off. Worked great.

I'll take a few pics of the finished install today and post them later.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:48 PM   #8
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Here's the pics. I added the lettering on the dash piece to keep my son happy who complained that it should have been there in the first place. The third pic shows the greenish ambient color as compared to the window switch on the door which are bluer.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2017, 03:33 AM   #9
NJ20102SS

Quote:
Here's the pics. I added the lettering on the dash piece to keep my son happy who complained that it should have been there in the first place. The third pic shows the greenish ambient color as compared to the window switch on the door which are bluer.
Thanks for the pics and info. Looks awesome! I'll be installing mine this weekend
Old 04-24-2017, 05:50 AM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Make sure you check the paint quality by holding them up to direct sunlight. The first set the dealer sent me were terrible quality. One panel barely had any paint on it and I was able to see through it. A second set was better and they gave me a return label for the first set.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:30 AM   #11
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
... The only issue is the factory ice blue color with the rally yellow door panels created a aqua green ambient light. LOL
That Yellow set looks fantastic.
There is a tiny LED in the end of the plastic fitting holder on the lightube. If you have a soldering iron you can swap out the LED and get the exact color you want - you do not have to use only the LED color choices Chevy offers.

p.s. The newer LED traffic lights use a similar lens color/LED combination to generate the green light, amazing that those are only 7 watts and still show up well in daytime.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 04-24-2017 at 06:41 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:46 AM   #12
NJ20102SS

Quote:
Make sure you check the paint quality by holding them up to direct sunlight. The first set the dealer sent me were terrible quality. One panel barely had any paint on it and I was able to see through it. A second set was better and they gave me a return label for the first set.
Thanks for the heads up with that. I'll definitely take a good look at them when I get 'em. Hopefully the first set will be good.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #13
NJ20102SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
That Yellow set looks fantastic.
There is a tiny LED in the end of the plastic fitting holder on the lightube. If you have a soldering iron you can swap out the LED and get the exact color you want - you do not have to use only the LED color choices Chevy offers.

p.s. The newer LED traffic lights use a similar lens color/LED combination to generate the green light, amazing that those are only 7 watts and still show up well in daytime.
Ron
I have a soldering gun. Any ideas on what color LED to put in to get the original blue color through the new yellow panels?
Old 04-24-2017, 07:03 AM   #14
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

I think the only way to get it back to blue would be to remove some of the yellow paint but I'd rather just leave it alone. I don't use the car much at night.