Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you want to see an automatic option for the ZL1?
Yes 1,312 66.30%
No 667 33.70%
Voters: 1979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #351
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
I'm pleased my comment about this poll has sparked increased interest in making it valid. My only point with my original comment is that the (current) 65.5% favor for autos is out of 600, which is less impressive than if it were out of 1,000+. This isn't a stats class, just a place to recognize and express interest in this fine car. I agree that this forum sample is a special (read: biased) sample, one that would favor manuals over the general public. As people previously mentioned, the fact that such a specialized sample STILL favors the inclusion of an auto can help us extrapolate interest in the larger buying audience. I re-read the original webchat Q&A that was held and they clearly asked "should we offer an auto?" They asked, it is our duty to answer.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #352
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Also with automatic transmission available just think how rare the manual
transmissions will be for the first year of production. Sorry I just
couldn't resist making that comment "my bad".
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #353
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
You just weeded out a helluva lot of buyers. GM wants to sell this car to as many people as would be profitable to buy it. If GM targets the tiny crowd you are suggesting, they will be leaving a lot of moeny on the table.
That's not what I want my goal or what I meant. Whenever GM builds a vehicle or anybody for that fact they are going to have a target market. Just like a diesel truck, which they build to suit construction and heavy duty haulers that is their target market. Sure are they going to pick up some people outside that market but the bread and butter is going to be in that target group. Do they get it wrong sure. But a 50k sports car is definitely a niche car and there is going to be specific market for it. Are they going to want to capture as many people as they can probably, but at this price it's like the vette GM is going to listen but they are going to build what they want and sell what they want. Again i don't care if they do or don't beyond my own personal opinion. It's just American to have a V8 muscle car with manual. It's like taking an apple pie and using canned apples sure it may be easier and taste good but its not the same thing

Last edited by nards444; 04-05-2011 at 08:54 PM.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #354
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
That's not what I want my goal or what I meant. Whenever GM builds a vehicle or anybody for that fact they are going to have a target market. Just like a diesel truck, which they build to suit construction and heavy duty haulers that is their target market. Sure are they going to pick up some people outside that market but the bread and butter is going to be in that target group. Do they get it wrong sure. But a 50k sports car is definitely a niche car and there is going to be specific market for it. Are they going to want to capture as many people as they can probably, but at this price it's like the vette GM is going to listen but they are going to build what they want and sell what they want. Again i don't care if they do or don't beyong my own personal opinion.
Don't get me wrong, I have no idea how to run a business of that size. I run a business just a tad smaller.

They obviously have a reason for only offering a standard tranny. But I'd bet big money it's not because nobody would buy an auto. I'm betting that it's because, like has been eluded to several times, (including yourself) they think enough of the auto tranny guys would go ahead and buy the manual if they wanted a ZL1 bad enough.

I'm saying I suspect they are wrong. I was actually surprised.

Like I said, if they offered the auto, I'd consider a ZL1 trade. But I want the auto so I'll keep mine. To me you get the best of both worlds. One of the fastest cars on the road, and a daily eating, drinking, smoking, cruising machine when your tired of shifting gears. I guess I just grew out of the need to shift gears. It got just as boring as an auto. I mean, like you said, you don't even realize you're shifting. It would be a latteral move for me but I'd have even more power with a few minor mods.

Last edited by PQ; 04-06-2011 at 12:29 AM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #355
nasa.zl1

Drives: 2011 White Camaro
I would hope after their recent bankruptcy that they have learned to listen to their customers. There is no way I buy a manual. I plan to drive mine 20k miles a year. I actually had 320k miles on my 1994 camaro before I gave it to my niece last year. It is simply too much of a headache to drive a manual in rush hour traffic.

Besides I wañt to be like Nascar and have tap shift auto.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 AM   #356
skoal bandit

Drives: 2012 ZL1 1991 Syclone 2011 Silverad
I would think I'm in the target group to buy this car 45yrs old lots of disposable income and for me its no automatic ,no sale.

And yes i can drive a manual learned how to drive in one ('64 Chevelle)and drove many since but i havent bought one since that Chevelle.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #357
nards444

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I have no idea how to run a business of that size. I run a business just a tad smaller.

They obviously have a reason for only offering a standard tranny. But I'd bet big money it's not because nobody would buy an auto. I'm betting that it's because, like has been eluded to several times, (including yourself) they think enough of the auto tranny guys would go ahead and buy the manual if they wanted a ZL1 bad enough.
I think you are right I mean if you really want one you'll buy what they offer. To be frank this car isnt't going to top 10k in sales probably. It will be close first year maybe but after that it will be a small market. Again right or wrong I think GM is going to want to keep an image on this one they are going to sell what they sell. This car it's self is not going to be a big money maker at 50 grand it's going to price it's self out of contention because its simply going to cost to much or at that price people will go for the vette and other things on the market. But what its going to do is create hype and brand image. Somebody is going to come in and look at the car get sticker shock and the dealer will say well we can give you a v6 for half the cost or you can get the SS for a 15 grand savings, and they will sell cars this way. Look at the Ford GT500 sales model. It sold big first year and since kind of petered out in 2008-2009 where they had to give them away, now they redesigned it and have a little more hype.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #358
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I won't trade my 2SS auto for a ZL1 unless there is an auto. I drove manual for over 30 years, but the modern auto is a whole different thing.
Same goes for me. However; I think I'll keep my SS, and when it's paid off, then I'll get me an auto ZL1 (that's if they offer it with one). If not I'll just get me an auto 'vette.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #359
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
I think you are right I mean if you really want one you'll buy what they offer. To be frank this car isnt't going to top 10k in sales probably. It will be close first year maybe but after that it will be a small market. Again right or wrong I think GM is going to want to keep an image on this one they are going to sell what they sell. This car it's self is not going to be a big money maker at 50 grand it's going to price it's self out of contention because its simply going to cost to much or at that price people will go for the vette and other things on the market. But what its going to do is create hype and brand image. Somebody is going to come in and look at the car get sticker shock and the dealer will say well we can give you a v6 for half the cost or you can get the SS for a 15 grand savings, and they will sell cars this way. Look at the Ford GT500 sales model. It sold big first year and since kind of petered out in 2008-2009 where they had to give them away, now they redesigned it and have a little more hype.
I don't understand this 'image' thing you talk about.

The top Camaro, wether it be Z-28 or whatever, has had an auto tranny option more times than not. What are they trying to save?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #360
nards444

they want an elite muscle car image. Just pricing it at 50k does that without even talking tranny. Again they dont care if they sell a lot of these cars, and they never will. This car is a brand image. Either way it doesnt matter, im not getting one and either are you. Personally a waste of money, rather have my ss and 29ft Fountain than just have a car. Again this car wont be for everybody due to tranny, price etc.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #361
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
they want an elite muscle car image. Just pricing it at 50k does that without even talking tranny. Again they dont care if they sell a lot of these cars, and they never will. This car is a brand image. Either way it doesnt matter, im not getting one and either are you. Personally a waste of money, rather have my ss and 29ft Fountain than just have a car. Again this car wont be for everybody due to tranny, price etc.
Ok, I dont get the 29ft Fountain thing.

But if John Fitzpatrick is to be taken at face value of what he said, then they will build and sell this car to as many people as will buy it. And they are considering the auto tranny. Doesn't sound to me like they aren't seriously wanting to sell as many of these as they can.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #362
nards444

Quote:
Ok, I dont get the 29ft Fountain thing.

But if John Fitzpatrick is to be taken at face value of what he said, then they will build and sell this car to as many people as will buy it. And they are considering the auto tranny. Doesn't sound to me like they aren't seriously wanting to sell as many of these as they can.
29ft fountain is performance boat(
). And im sure they want to sell as many as they can. And they might the first year. But a 50 grand sports car will never sell that many year after year just wont happen.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #363
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
29ft fountain is performance boat(
). And im sure they want to sell as many as they can. And they might the first year. But a 50 grand sports car will never sell that many year after year just wont happen.
Once again if you are including an automatic transmission offering and are looking for a sales target I would take a look at what the base model C6 sold.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #364
PQ
Booooosted.

Whoa..... nice boat.

Well, I would imagine that the difference in a ZL1 and an SS would be much less than buying that boat and maintaining it.

But your point is certainly valid. I have zero interest in a boat. (Thank God,lol) I"m a pretty simple guy. My hobbies are few. Cars, my kids, and football.

One thing I still don't get is the Vette thing. A base Vette isn't as good as a ZL1 in my opinion. I'd easily go ZL1 before a base Vette. Sure, I'd go Z06 before a ZL1, but a Z06 cost MUCH more. So I don't think the Vette and ZL1 will clash much at all.