Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 08-30-2017, 06:46 PM   #253
show7ime

Drives: 2017 1SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Lmao. That's a $700 car payment with 0% interest and you make like $600 A WEEK???

My car payment is $370. I have a house, a boat, a 2015 Silverado ($700 a month) , 2 jet skis and the ability to travel the world endlessly on my salary. Now I just feel sorry for you, living above your means. But you have that 1.5 seconds!

Perhaps utilize your money in classes on humility. How one person chooses to live his/or her life is to their own. If they are happy with their choices... what's the big deal? Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
show7ime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #254
Camarolover85
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by show7ime View Post
Perhaps utilize your money in classes on humility. How one person chooses to live his/or her life is to their own. If they are happy with their choices... what's the big deal? Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol you mean like the whole, "who would buy a V6 when they could have a V8?" mentality? That kind of humility? He spent pages dissing on everything and everyone who owns a V6 and their "turd engine," go have a look. In the end one of us can actually afford the 2SS and the other one is just a DB who wants to pretend he can.
Camarolover85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:03 PM   #255
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
I vote you get the V-6 1LE Camaro with NPP option, there are some tuning options on the V-6 engine which I have seen on videos and sites something like 290RWHP.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 PM   #256
Lukemo

Drives: '17 1LT RS V6 6M NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarolover85 View Post
Lol you mean like the whole, "who would buy a V6 when they could have a V8?" mentality? That kind of humility? He spent pages dissing on everything and everyone who owns a V6 and their "turd engine," go have a look. In the end one of us can actually afford the 2SS and the other one is just a DB who wants to pretend he can.
Lukemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #257
Kiefer

Drives: 2018 NGM SS 1LE
if you can afford it v8 no question
Kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #258
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumba View Post
This is similar to my experience with a v6 manual. 3rd was always disappointing. Gearing on my car was probably different than the 5th gen Camaro? 60mph was a third gear pull. 2nd topped out at 64ish. Almost anything with an auto would keep up with me from a 60 role haha. Doesn't matter unless you do a lot of open freeway driving which I did. If it was hotter than 90F it was down right depressing haha. I believe the 3.8L I had was 348hp and 290 ish tq. 290 is a respectable number the gearing just couldn't stay in the narrow power band after 2nd.

I believe that cars being over optimized for 0-60 times is partially to blame for this.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

My 2nd gear would top out at about 70. I could smoke the tires in 1st gear, and fish tail it hitting 2nd. 3rd gear would hit with a positive shift but not a hard punch. It was a fun car though and still give it props.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #259
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Black1LESS View Post
You don't have to make $70k+ a year to afford a SS. By LS1 territory I'm assuming you are talking about the LS1 Camaro/Firebird. Stock for stock, and I know this is comparing apples to oranges, the 6th Gen V6 is not in the territory of the LS1 Corvette.
Well it really depends. There is no way I would attempt it at under $50k. Brand new, the car starts at aprox $38k and fully loaded ending just a hair above $50k (convertibles) At $38k even though you're looking at payments between $550 and $600 unless you put down a large down payment. Then you have to factor in the cost of ownership, such as insurance, gasoline, MAINTANENCE, TIRES (which alot of people seem to be neglecting the fact that an SS eats through them every 20k miles).. and thats not including your every day expenses such as your HOUSE, food... some people even have children, or a wife that doesn't work...

If you're under $50k base salary then an SS is going to chew holes through your wallet car payment wise even at its lowest option and if you choose a car that costs as much as you make annually..forget about it.. it's going to HURT unless you neglect other areas of your life..

I'm not duping / bashing anyone by saying this, but when I chose my V6 I was making only half as much as I currently make and had no insight that my income would increase so I chose something that I could pay for without financially hurting me paying a $1,200 house note, gas, water and electric, fuel, ect ect.. If you're paying only for the car then yea you're fine.. but some of us have other financial obligations than Camaro's.

And yes, I was comparing it to a LS1 4th Gen.. it will be hard for any NA V6 to compete with a vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Point of clarification. 2LT and 2SS seemingly get thrown together like they are similar in features when they are not. Point in case to get a 2LT equipped like a 2SS ,excluding any performance related items (i.e. HD cooling/braking, summer tires, suspension package), you need to add several packages.

1. RS PACKAGE
2. CONVENIENCE AND LIGHTING PACKAGE

That brings a 2LT with LGX to $37,740. A 2SS is $42,995. That's only $5,255 difference to have the LT1, better brakes, HD cooling, and a much better suspension.

When you compare a 1LS (since 1LT includes the A8) to a 1SS, there is still a similar difference (albeit bigger) when equipped equal minus any performance items. $31,245 vs $37,995. So this idea of $10K is not accurate at all. Especially if you consider the available performance items to bring the LT up to SS levels (excluding the HP/TQ of course).

I know the guys picking the LT over the SS likely don't care about those performance differences so I left them out from pricing. There is tremendous value in the SS cars compared to the LTs IMO. But I can see how $5-7K can be a too high for some budgets, especially if they find no value in the performance level difference.

As for this LS1 debate, the only close comparison would be LS1 A4 with 2.73s vs LGX A8. Those were real slushbox days and it took some work for them to keep up with M6s. The M6 LS1s are almost 1/2 a sec quicker in media testing than the LGX A8. Real world has shown quite a few LS1 M6s break into the 12s. That's quite a bit of difference anyway you cut it. So the accurate comparison would be the LGX has better performance than the old LT1 F-bodies which is still impressive. Especially if you remember the dog that the 3.8Ls were in those days.
I'll give you that one about the $5k / $7k difference as I did indeed forget the SS automatically gets the RS package where as the 2LT's do not and overall I agree for the difference in cost the SS offers alot more.. that there does make sense. So yea me personally between a 2LT RS and a 2SS I would just save up the difference in price as an addition to my down payment and get the 2SS.

When I got my 1LT, while I loved the new features on the 2LT RS and 2SS, I couldn't justify paying $40k+ for it.. The LGX V6 was a big step up from my 5th Gen V6 even, weighing several hundreds of pounds less, offering more power, handled much better, and makes shockingly better fuel mileage (and while we're on that subject I just want to point out that all three models of Camaro's (I4, V6, V8) are making MUCH better fuel mileage than the average car on the road today, shocking that these are sports cars.) Now I didn't buy my car to race or run at the track, thats the job for my 99 Z28 LS1, however; my V6 isn't so far behind my LS1 that I can call it incompitent.. the car deserves respect for what it is... A 335 HP V6 is nothing to sneeze at. It runs laps around our Infiniti G37 and is pretty close to keeping up with my mildly modded (intake / TB only) LS1.

I currently still own and drive a 99 Z28 with 3.23's in the rear axel - While there is a difference between it and my LGX, it's no longer the extreme differences we have seen in the past between V6's and V8's.. hence why I said "near" LS1 territory. not quite there..but they're pretty damn close. My LGX would definitely keep up with my 99 Z28. Don't let its silent acceleration fool you that car biulds up speed pretty quick and doesn't run out of steam on the highway (gearing) like the 4th Gen V6 did.

Also please note that the M6 F-Bodies that dipped into the 12's were few and almost every condition had to play out to the favor of the LS1 for that to happen such as the moon and gravitational tides had to line up perfectly while it reflected blue light at a drag strip local to a K-Mart shopping center..most of them were around 13.3 time slip with the average LS1 F-Body being around 13.6.. and a LGX hero run has been made at 13.5 where they average LGX runs around 13.8 ..where as a 4th Gen LT1 is a low 14 second car stock... so no..they are not far off from a STOCK 4th Gen LS1, and there are even videos on youtube where an intake / exhaust LGX V6 completely destroys a mildly modded 4th Gen (no exaggeration, look this up..it shocked the hell out of me.)

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 08-31-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:03 AM   #260
14Black1LESS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Despite what the people above talking acting like they know what an LS1 ran like I can honestly give you an opinion as I owned a mint 2002 6-speed manual LS1 equipped Camaro for over 10 years. My 6-speed manual lgx V6 would definitely be able to give an LS1 Camaro a run. You guys talking about the fifth gen Camaro are forgetting that it had less power and that it was 400-plus pounds heavier. And one of the things that makes the alpha platform so much fun is the handling which I can guarantee you is better in the V6 then the V8 due to the less weight in the front end.
I have owned a 2002 Camaro SS and a 2002 Corvette so I know the LS1 pretty well. As I already stated I'm assuming that the poster was talking about the F-body because the LS1 Corvette would beat a V6 6th Gen with no problems, but all that was stated in the post is that the V6 6th Gen was in the LS1 territory which is kind of a broad range considering the Corvette is in that range now. I do agree that the 6th Gen V6 is in the range of the LS1 F-body, stock for stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well it really depends. There is no way I would attempt it at under $50k. Brand new, the car starts at aprox $38k and fully loaded ending just a hair above $50k (convertibles) At $38k even though you're looking at payments between $550 and $600 unless you put down a large down payment. Then you have to factor in the cost of ownership, such as insurance, gasoline, MAINTANENCE, TIRES (which alot of people seem to be neglecting the fact that an SS eats through them every 20k miles).. and thats not including your every day expenses such as your HOUSE, food... some people even have children, or a wife that doesn't work...

If you're under $50k base salary then an SS is going to chew holes through your wallet car payment wise even at its lowest option and if you choose a car that costs as much as you make annually..forget about it.. it's going to HURT unless you neglect other areas of your life..

I'm not duping / bashing anyone by saying this, but when I chose my V6 I was making only half as much as I currently make and had no insight that my income would increase so I chose something that I could pay for without financially hurting me paying a $1,200 house note, gas, water and electric, fuel, ect ect.. If you're paying only for the car then yea you're fine.. but some of us have other financial obligations than Camaro's.

And yes, I was comparing it to a LS1 4th Gen.. it will be hard for any NA V6 to compete with a vet
Your assumption is based on buying new. Not everyone buys brand new. That's why I said you don't have to make $70k+ to afford a SS. Other than that I agree with what you are saying. You should only buy what you can actually afford.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:10 AM   #261
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzberd6 View Post
Funny you should mention the Golf MKVII, I was running with one at Daytona this month. This one is not stock however. I could catch him, but I couldn't stay with him once we got on the banking.
I'm not surprised. Guys are getting big power out of the 2.0 MKVI & MKVII.

Just watched the video. Golf R, even more power potential. As much as I LOVE my 1LE, if the Golf R was more reasonably priced, AND if they still made it in a 2 door, I would have bought one. But, alas, things worked out well.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:58 AM   #262
stigmacher

Drives: 1LT 1LE
Car & Driver Lightening lap times (VIR)
V6 1le = 3:04.0
Audi RS5 = 3:04.3
Audi R8 V8 = 3:04.6
BMW M6 = 3:04.7
BMW M5 = 3:05.2
BMW E93 M3 = 3:05.4
Porsche (997) Carrera S = 3:05.8
2015 Subaru WRX STI = 3:10.5
2015 VW Golf R = 3:12.3
stigmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:32 PM   #263
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigmacher View Post
Car & Driver Lightening lap times (VIR)
V6 1le = 3:04.0
Audi RS5 = 3:04.3
Audi R8 V8 = 3:04.6
BMW M6 = 3:04.7
BMW M5 = 3:05.2
BMW E93 M3 = 3:05.4
Porsche (997) Carrera S = 3:05.8
2015 Subaru WRX STI = 3:10.5
2015 VW Golf R = 3:12.3
That is awesome! How the hell does the V6 1LE outrun some of those?
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:14 PM   #264
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx9rmal View Post
That is awesome! How the hell does the V6 1LE outrun some of those?
Handling.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:22 PM   #265
stigmacher

Drives: 1LT 1LE
Handling & power to weight. During Car & Drivers lightening lap they said it was faster through the infield @ VIR than an Audi R8 V10 plus & Jaguar Ftype Project 7.

& While not as beastly as an SS it has a flat torque curve that delivers horsepower all the way to redline & a decent 10.5 lbs per horsepower.

Note: it's also faster around VIR than the current Mustang GT.
stigmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:31 PM   #266
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigmacher View Post
Handling & power to weight. During Car & Drivers lightening lap they said it was faster through the infield @ VIR than an Audi R8 V10 plus & Jaguar Ftype Project 7.

& While not as beastly as an SS it has a flat torque curve that delivers horsepower all the way to redline & a decent 10.5 lbs per horsepower.

Note: it's also faster around VIR than the current Mustang GT.
You're wrong. It sucks because there exists trims that have more horsepower.

In 10 years when the bottom trim has the power that the current SS has, that too will suck because there will be a trim with more power.

That's the logic you are working with here.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote