Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Torn between

So lately I just don't know what I want.

Money isn't really the ULTIMATE factor, although I don't throw money away either. My financial situation and income level has dramatically changed over the last two years where as now I can even realistically and feasibly afford a 6th Gen 2SS but I don't want to make a hasty decision either...

Currently I have a 17 1LT V6 and a 99 Z28.

Before we dog the 99 Z28, this isn't exactly your average 4th Gen. ALOT of cosmetics have been done to this car, and not the kind to make it ricey...Details here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-upgrades.html

I also have alot of body work done, ground effects fiberglassed to the body, 19" wheels and Brembo brakes, LID, MAF and TB, Turn One PS Pump, Braided PS Lines, Optima Battery, Powermaster Alternator, Aluminum Radiator, Trans Cooler, Braided transmission lines, Truck Starter.. Then all the interior stuff listed in the thread above - while the motor mods arent major..I still really enjoy driving this car because its paid off, its a pure toy and the amount of work I've done to it. I don't want to give up my 99 Z28. It now has about 210k miles but still runs like it only has 40k miles which is amazing. I'm not really afraid of it "breaking" perse as I've pieced this car together every other week at times..although lately its been alot more reliable than it used to be.

Then I have the 1LT V6 and ever since they have been producing these cars, the 6th Gen has been my dream. ORIGINALLY I wasn't aiming for the SS. I only wanted a fully loaded V6. Instead I ended up getting a base model V6 and wish I had a sunroof but otherwise love the car..

The thing is though, especially everytime I come here.. I still can't help but desire / crave that SS 6th Gen as it looks to be an absolute winner in almost every way.. and I'd LOVE a ZL1 but that may be pushing it slightly as far as the budget is concerned... Its costing me "nothing" to keep the 99 Z28 and trading the V6 in for an SS wouldnt financially hurt me...but I keep asking myself..is this what I really want to do..

One thing I love about my V6 is.. the thing gets up to 42 MPG all highway and literally my work commute is 100% Street NO interstate and I am averaging between 28 and 31 MPG without even TRYING to conserve fuel (no exaggeration, I managed up to 42 MPG All Highway in that car ), uses regular unleaded and can still give me some pretty fun kicks. I mean.. I could throw on an RS Grille, RS Headlights, and Wheels, Leather seats, then do Intake and Exhaust and it will look and drive like a pretty darn good car... with the minor exception that I will have to worry about the warranty.

On the flipside... having a 2SS with leather seats, sunroof, all the options just makes me drool.. and what scares me is if I do that, I would probably no longer have a need for the 99 Z28 and I just love my Z28...yet mod for mod the 6th Gen will always be faster...

...and then even still... I could just go the adventurous route and throw a 427 in my F-Body, upgrade suspension, tubular K-Member, or maybe go with something like an LQ4 with forced induction and keep my V6 as my commuter car while having a show car that stands out from the crowd and is all balls.

and I just can't tell what I really want...
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
ok, so what's the decision to be made? sell the 99 for a 2SS?

what do you think you can reasonably get for the 99? you WILL NOT get out of it what you put into it most likely, so Just keep it, trade 1LT in. Or get rid of both of them and get the ZL1.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
show7ime

Drives: 2017 1SS Summit White
If you have THAT MUCH sentimental attachment value towards your Z28, keep it. Trade the 1LT for an SS and call it a day. As far as putting value towards MPG... I regularly achieve 33-35 MPG on the interstate with my SS and 18-25 in the city for average commuting.

Honestly, its really a choice that none of us can realistically make for you. Best of luck on your choice that you make.
show7ime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
JoeCastigs94

Drives: 2018 1SS/Nightfall Gray/M6/NPP
To be honest, i would even consider just a 1SS. You get the 6.2, you get the perf and mean look also. the 2SS has more options such as leather,navi, cooled seats, etc... But i held back and tried to be smart and saved 10k off sticker with the 1ss. I am also leasing the car which is a whole diff story. And the 1ss interior really isnt bad at all. Still very sporty. whatever you choose to do is obv up to you and what you want! Hope all goes well.

1SS, Nightfall gray, M6,NPP.

-Joe
JoeCastigs94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #5
trophy hunter

Drives: 2016 1SS - M6
This might be a good time to make a "Pros" and "Cons" list. When you think about it all in your head, it can sometimes be a little overwhelming - putting it to paper
(or tablet/I-Pad) might make it easier to see/review the "better" option

But honestly, I think that you're in a win/win situation either way...... remember, the V6 is being discontinued too.

Good luck !
trophy hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
NightSkyCode
Owned gen 4, 5 and 6

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Id sell the the z28 abd go with a 17 or 18 2SS. you wont be disappointed. Plus you can save some cash on the 17s right now. Got mine last month and saved around 7k. No joke.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:32 PM   #7
TopHatPlus
Account Suspended

Drives: 16 2SS NPP MRC
I have a fully specced 2SS mag ride, NPP, nav, sunroof etc and its an amazing user experience in all 3 canadian seasons (winter, slightly less winter and spring) but GM is working hard to do there mid cycle refresh in 2019 with is supposed to bring another V8 option and no doubt some things i would mind on mine like cameras on the front to save my splitter. Just a thought enjoy the cars for another 1.5 years and see what a refresh brings and then get something with the latest greatest.
TopHatPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 PM   #8
NightSkyCode
Owned gen 4, 5 and 6

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHatPlus View Post
I have a fully specced 2SS mag ride, NPP, nav, sunroof etc and its an amazing user experience in all 3 canadian seasons (winter, slightly less winter and spring) but GM is working hard to do there mid cycle refresh in 2019 with is supposed to bring another V8 option and no doubt some things i would mind on mine like cameras on the front to save my splitter. Just a thought enjoy the cars for another 1.5 years and see what a refresh brings and then get something with the latest greatest.
Front camera would be amazing... I have to park so far back to pretect the splitter. its annoying.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #9
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
http://www.brandmotion.com/curb-alert-4.html#
I haven't tried this but it might help you out.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #10
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I'd keep what you already have. Trading in a '17 to upgrade to a new SS will be bad financially with deprecation, and you sound happy with what you already have.

Drop some forced induction toy on it once warranty is over if it's more power you are craving.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Thank you for all your advice guys. I read everything but I'm typing from a phone so I can't really reply through every post.

I am highly considering keeping the 1LT and just waiting till 2019. I went to the dealer yesterday just for giggles and told them I had a down payment of about $10k.
$10k down is a comfortable down payment for me. I could go up to about $15-$17k with some work and on the extreme side up to $20k...
Thing is I don't know if it's worth it.
I was looking at a fully loaded 2SS (reason I was looking at a 2SS is because i settled for the 1LT which didn't have the options I wanted and not even a year later I'm looking again) So I'm in the air about it .. the $10k down will get me in the 2SS but my payments will be high. Not unmanageable, but still alot higher than I would like. I am looking to stay around $400 - $450 a month but if I have to put $20k down to do that, is it worth it or would it be better to finance with a lower down payment and just eat the high monthly payments? I'm probably just going to wait till either 2019 or till the rebates bring the price down some
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
Baker

Drives: 2010 camaro RS,2017 camaro 1Le
Trade the LT and go to the SS that's a decision you won't look back on and be like man I wish I hadn't got rid of that car. You won't think twice about it. I went from a 5th gen v6 to a 6th SS and I haven't regretted it once the z28 sounds like a beautiful car and good looking ones aren't that prevalent anymore
Old 08-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #13
JoeCastigs94

Drives: 2018 1SS/Nightfall Gray/M6/NPP
At this point, if your going to drive yourself crazy.. Get the v8
JoeCastigs94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #14
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
get rid of both for a '17 Grand Sport vette
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote