Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
youngoliver

Drives: 2SS/RS SIM -- Lifted 99' GMC
Lowering suspension will void warranty?

I was wondering if putting on the Eibach lowering springs would void the warranty in any way? Complete void or just a void of the suspension, I have herd both so if anyone can clear it up for me i would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks
youngoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #2
will69camaro

Drives: 1969 and 2010 Camaros
Mods will only void portions of the warranty directly affected by the part itself. Suspension mods will likely just void part or all of the suspension warranty. If you lose something unassociated with the shocks then it's a crap shoot to see if they'll cover it. They have to prove the mod you did caused the failure.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
youngoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarowa View Post
i did and had no success couldn't really find a straight forward answer that's why i posted on here.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Just lower it, who cares...LOL
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
These questions have been asked here a million times. With 11,236 different answers.

You need to ask your dealer. Just remember, they get paid wether it's a warranty item and GM pays them, or it's not, and YOU pay them. So they really don't have any good reason to lie about it.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
youngoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
These questions have been asked here a million times. With 11,236 different answers.

You need to ask your dealer. Just remember, they get paid wether it's a warranty item and GM pays them, or it's not, and YOU pay them. So they really don't have any good reason to lie about it.
Thanks
I'll ask them asap
Old 03-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
will69camaro

Drives: 1969 and 2010 Camaros
Difference being MOST dealership rates are higher for NON-warranty work.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
Ghost of Vincent Price
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro
They just get less book time for the work.
Ghost of Vincent Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Hotchkis

Drives: 1st through 5th gen Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngoliver View Post
I was wondering if putting on the Eibach lowering springs would void the warranty in any way? Complete void or just a void of the suspension, I have herd both so if anyone can clear it up for me i would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks
No matter which aftermarket components you are looking at, whether it voids your warranty or not depends to some degree on your relationship with your dealership's service manager and the nature of the warranty claim.

Suspension mods won't effect warranty issues with drivetrain, electronics, interior, etc. If you lower your car and then something happens to a suspension component they may ask questions, but unless its directly related to the aftermarket part you should be in the clear... unless the service writer is a stickler. If you lower the car an extreme amount and then pull your exhaust off on a speedbump, well, you might have some trouble getting that covered.
Hotchkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
GM dealers have very serious differences in opinions. There are dealers that will not do warranty work on your Camaro if you put just wheels on it or change the tires. Then you have a more progressive dealership that it would not matter.

The bottom line is the federal government has made the ruling by making the Magnessen/Moss Act. This act allows you to do anything you want. But if there is a problem, it is the requirement of the manufacturer to prove the component you install created the problem. Now in most cases this is really hard and expensive to do. One exception might be adding a Maggie or some other major hp enhancer. GM has tested the strength of the power train for max hp and torque. If you have a transmission failure and your hp exceeds the trans torque rating, then you have a problem.

In the case of suspension upgrades, this will be pretty challenging to prove some kind of powertrain concern. Now adding coils with 40% or 50& stronger ratings to OE dampers and the damper fails, could easily be challenged by GM if the rating of the damper is exceeded. But there is no published info on the dampers. We have about 200 Camaro with our drop coils and have not had any damper failures. I have heard of a couple from some other coil companies that have a lower drop than ours. But we have tested the OE dampers and they can handle our coil travels and rates. But we have limited the drop of our coils due to the info that we have accumulated on these dampers.

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote