Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #15
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Doesn't matter whether or not they are approved by the federal government, its still up to the state to pass rules on what type of tail light is legal in said state. The federal government sets "guidelines", in this case over head lights and tail lights. Despite this the state does not legally have to follow these guidelines. Most of the time they do though in order to receive federal funding for transportation. The point is that just because a light is DOT approved doesn't make it legal everywhere you go.
I do however agree that it was BS that the owner was ticketed. Additionally the feds have the power to regulate interstate commerce so they could stretch that power potentially to regulate lights.

You would have to take it to the Supreme Court

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 AM   #16
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Doesn't matter whether or not they are approved by the federal government, its still up to the state to pass rules on what type of tail light is legal in said state. The federal government sets "guidelines", in this case over head lights and tail lights. Despite this the state does not legally have to follow these guidelines. Most of the time they do though in order to receive federal funding for transportation. The point is that just because a light is DOT approved doesn't make it legal everywhere you go.
I do however agree that it was BS that the owner was ticketed. Additionally the feds have the power to regulate interstate commerce so they could stretch that power potentially to regulate lights.
It does matter, however, because I don't know of a single state that's passed laws restricting vehicles beyond DOT - for the very reason you stated, so they can get federal funding. But, like I posted earlier - the state legislature having the power to potentially pass a law doesn't mean the state judiciary has the power to enforce said potential (but not passed) law.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #17
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthos View Post
It does matter, however, because I don't know of a single state that's passed laws restricting vehicles beyond DOT - for the very reason you stated, so they can get federal funding. But, like I posted earlier - the state legislature having the power to potentially pass a law doesn't mean the state judiciary has the power to enforce said potential (but not passed) law.
- X
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote