Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #351
Red Rocker
I can't drive 55!

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 CRT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
6 Mustangs, 4 Camaros and 2 Firebirds... It was my '83 Camaro with '84-'89 parts that ended my RR career 11 years ago.. It was a worked 5.0 (yes the 305), I used the Quadrajet an the Turbo 350 tranny. Yes, a 3rd gen can road race, it was the rear anti sway bar that broke that caused the wreck.

It was a county sanctioned road race, it was 930pm... I didn't have the power some cars had... I was 8th, about to lose 8th.. I played dirty and blocked the road (horseplay). He turned his lights off so I tried to compensate with speed and over cutting corners... I can't remember much, but I remember taking a right turn and my right front and rear suspension bottomed out as I went off road during a hard right turn.

I heard something metal "digging and flapping" under the car (what I told EMS), I handled the small straight really good (the mph/kph tach: those '83s had bounced sooo bad, but I would say I was at 55-60mph), but the next strong right is where I noticed the car was different... I couldn't keep the rear straight, and it fish tailed maybe 4 times left to right, trying to compensate but keep on the gas... I turned the car 180 and head first through the barriers and into the guardrail... I broke my chin, 7 teeth and deformed my right ear (almost cauliflowered) because I never could afford a helmet..

The guy behind me stopped and pulled me out of the car via the window, My K-frame and front wheels were ripped from the front and settled mid door pinning them closed... That was the 90s.... The guy behind me was driving an '83 GT HO.. I bought it from him and started drag racing 3 weeks later...

I will return to the track this year.... so I hope most of you understand that there is an individual passion that burns deep down in every individual.. You may never understand it, and those who are passionate have a hard time expressing...

FYI: I had to pay for the guardrail, the repairs and also recieved a "Disorderly Conduct" Citation in which I didn't pay and a bench warrant was issued.. and spent 2 weeks in Butler county jail to pay off... but I'm a cop now so Sylvester the Cat was right.. "If you can't beat 'em.. join 'em"
What state out of curiosity?
Red Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #352
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
It is your duty to do so, without your dedication to your brand, and survival of that brand.. The other will wither and die.. or turn up a station wagon...

I hate you, and you should hate me.. and tell a friend that you hate me and why.. because I will surely do so.. and in turn, we will sale 1 Camaro and 1 Mustang and the fight will continue...

What is a warrior without war?.. I will tell you... Its a station wagon or a mini van, remember that tonight as you construct my voodoo doll...
Well said Pill!

Quote:
No I don't really want to kill any of you, but the younger guys don't need to know that...
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #353
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tob View Post
A few words from the "opposition" if I may. As a blue blooded Ford aficionado, even I can admit to some excitement for the GM camp. Whatever moniker adorns the upcoming Uber Camaro, I have no doubt that it will pack more technology and performance than Chevrolet has ever offered to the public in their version of the pony car. It should be one hell of a ride.

A few things have piqued my interest, most notably, the wheel/tire sizing.

The GT500 community has been begging Ford to upgrade to similar wheel/tire sizes for a few years now. Ford has increased power and decreased weight, but has done nothing (beyond a move to a 265 up front on an SVT PP GT500) with regards to better traction. A 285 out back has failed miserably at putting power to the ground (and yet there are cries for more power!). As mentioned, the weight of the OP's tire sizes would definitely cross a threshold. Unsprung weight is a NVH killer, along with increased rolling resistance (decreased MPG) via more rubber to the road. As an enthusiast, I'd love to see GM pull this one off, especially in light of the impending "green takeover" looming in the near future. If not, I'm sure that just as S197 owners have to do (rear bumpstop bracket trimming, shock boot elimination, carefully chosen offset specs) Z28 owners will be stuffing the widest possible rubber combinations possible under the fenders.wn S197 product development team meetings - I'm all ears.
Absolutely, Ford needs a bigger tire out back for traction, each suspension system has advantages (for drag racing).
Unsprung weight (USW): Unsprung weight can cause wheel hop without the the right amount of rubber. USW though offers better traction in hard acceleration from a dig. Anyone who lives in a winter snow state will try to simulate tire weight by loading the trunk/bed to gain traction. Nothing can truly simulate wheel weight like actual wheel weight/axle weight. Drag racers love the even, left to right power transfer and the heavy USW helps from the dig.

Cheese and Wine F1 guys try to simulate SRA handling with downforce (imaginary weight, with no real weight added) because a solid axle will not work in a mid engine car that has wheels that extend beyond the body. IRS is heavy overall (for now), but unless the proper 6 link is used, its just as common as a home made go-kart. Unsprung is reduced, sprung weight is increased (which is directly responsible for body roll)... The suspension is doing less work?.. yes... the entire car is suffering from weight?... also yes... If Ford were to use 305s, it would hook and handle.. If Ford were to use say... the GT350 suspension with the same 285s?.. well, thats that "simulated" weight I was talking about. In this case though, it is the damper and springs that simulate.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #354
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
330 rear...wow, that's very nice.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #355
BustedCrank

Drives: Broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
They bought the rights.
Did they buy the rights, or are they "leasing" the name? I dont think they will call this car the zl1, but i dont think gm would sell the rights for that moniker either.

Remember all those people that argued against just modding an SS for cheaper then a z28 will cost, just because it wouldnt have the prestige of being called a z28. If its not called a z28, there will be some POed people for that reason. I dont really care what its called. It looks to be a fun ride. And hopefully the 335 wasnt a typo or mistake on someones part.
BustedCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #356
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedCrank View Post
Did they buy the rights, or are they "leasing" the name? I dont think they will call this car the zl1, but i dont think gm would sell the rights for that moniker either.

Remember all those people that argued against just modding an SS for cheaper then a z28 will cost, just because it wouldnt have the prestige of being called a z28. If its not called a z28, there will be some POed people for that reason. I dont really care what its called. It looks to be a fun ride. And hopefully the 335 wasnt a typo or mistake on someones part.
From what I understand GM didn't renew their right. So SLP jumped and grabbed it.
I really think the 330 is a typo or mistake.
305 or 315 is more like it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 PM   #357
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
OK, thanks. That takes care of using ZL1 instead of Z28.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #358
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
I understand there was more to it. But the z28 was not the high horsepower application originaly. That was my point
And from a performance standpoint (rather than simple HP ratings) your point would be invalid.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #359
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
If not Z/28, then what.
RS. In use
SS. In use
IROC. GM doesn't own it.
Panther. The Camaro's pre-production name. Not likely.
Z/29. God I hope not.

Don't get me wrong, I will have the top model "alpha platformed" Camaro, no matter what its name is. I'm just trying to figure out what else it could be named.
Well, you've got quite a wait for an Alpha platform model, the current Camaro is on Zeta II and an Alpha Camaro is not likely to be seen prior to 2015 or so.
Clyde
Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #360
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
Who said they weren't? Yes RPO Z-28 was available in '67 and 602 were built. The point was it was just and RPO code until early/mid '68 when it was decided to officially give it the Z/28 name from the RPO code and they started putting Z/28 emblems on the cars.
It was called a Z/28 from it's very first presentation to the automotive press in 1967 (October of that year I think). So it was called and named Z/28 from the day it was announced, it took a while before they decided to put emblems on them, originally in '67/'68 the wide "rally stripes" were Z/28 only, so they felt no need to put emblems on them. Eventually the stripes could be ordered on any Camaro.
Clyde
Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #361
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
CAMARO MONGOOSE EDITION That'll get those Cobra guys' attention
There was a limited edition performance sports car with Chevrolet engines made in the '70s to compete with the Shelby AC Cobra and it was called ...........the Mongoose! I don't think the company is still around, very few made and probably very few still exist.
Clyde
Old 01-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #362
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYKOFF69Z View Post
If it is a Z, do it like the first generations and make the only options you could not order are a automatic transmission and air conditioning.
You forgot convertible, first gen. Z/28s could not be ordered as a vert. Though there was one built for Pete Estes, who if I remember correctly was a Chevy VP back in the day.
Clyde
Old 01-14-2011, 07:15 PM   #363
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
Quote:
305 or 315 is more like it.
I agree.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:47 PM   #364
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rocker View Post
What state out of curiosity?
PA, Just north of Pittsburgh.. every year they have a "back to the 50s" fest. Drag racing, Auto cross, burn outs and car show...
I will return to the circuit here in Germany, I will be sponsorless so open track this season...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 camaro hp edition, 2012 camaro hp model, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 chevy camaro z28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro hp edition, 2013 camaro hp model, 2013 z28, camaro hp edition, camaro hp edition model, camaro hp model, camaro z28, camaro z28 hp, camaro z28 hp edition, chevy camaro hp edition, cobra killer, hp edition model, new camaro z28, new z28, sexy beast coming soon, z28 forum, z28 forums