Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
HuJass

Drives: GM
GM Could Stop Building Camaros for 6 Months and Still There Would be Enough Inventory

http://www.gminsidenews.com/articles...ugh-inventory/

Quote:
Yet it’s as we approach these months that GM’s Camaro inventory has expanded to well in excess of 30,000 units, very nearly six months of supply.

In other words, if General Motors stopped building the Camaro at its Lansing, Michigan, assembly plant today, there are enough Camaros in stock at dealers and on their way to dealers to make it to the end of May 2017.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
This is all good, but it doesn't help me in my quest to obtain a 2017 red hot ZL1 with A10.

Ha Ha Ha!! LOL...

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
There is a flaw in their logic: November is typically one of if not the worst selling months for Camaros. As spring rolls in, sales pick up by a few thousand units normally. So the 30,000 cars would likely be gone in 4 to 5 months if they stopped building them today.

Now, are inventory levels high? Absolutely. A 4 and a half month supply is bad, ideally it would be around half that. But things are not as bad as the article makes it seem.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #4
SkipNWis

Drives: 2016/SS Has had 4 Gen 5's
I still feel they should have never made the 2016 Model gen6. Held off the introduction until 2017. Then made a really big deal about the 50TH. Brought out the ZL1,1LE,Z28 and the 50th edition all together. Just my 2 Cents worth........

SnoWhite
SkipNWis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipNWis View Post
I still feel they should have never made the 2016 Model gen6. Held off the introduction until 2017. Then made a really big deal about the 50TH. Brought out the ZL1,1LE,Z28 and the 50th edition all together. Just my 2 Cents worth........
All that gets you is 1 more year of bad 5th gen sales.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
you mean not advertising, following your new model after changing the previous model to look very close to the upcoming one, waiting like 10 months to put out your "base" model and flooding dealers with optioned out $50k cars, and every media outlet and dealer is convincing every buyer that the only thing worth buying is an SUV or a truck and this is hurting the sales of a sports car? no way.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #7

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
They might as well just lower the MSRP by 20% and call it a day....With that kind of backed up inventory, I would wait for the sales anyhow....

Just lower the price now and get it over with.......
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
Good news for new buyers.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #9
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
you mean not advertising, following your new model after changing the previous model to look very close to the upcoming one, waiting like 10 months to put out your "base" model and flooding dealers with optioned out $50k cars, and every media outlet and dealer is convincing every buyer that the only thing worth buying is an SUV or a truck and this is hurting the sales of a sports car? no way.
What you posted, in a nutshell, explains exactly the situation with current Camaro inventory. Well said.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
cooden

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS & '15 Durango R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
The only people flooding dealers with $50K cars are the idiots at the dealership who order their inventory. Do you know how many dealerships have the stupidest assortment of vehicles/options? I've seen it with trucks, cars & the Camaro. I've literally offered for FREE to order the inventory at my dealership because 90% of the time they have to dealer trade for me--for instance, not adding the package onto Silverados that includes remote start & rear window defogger--we live in Rochester, NY!!! Who the hell wouldn't want their truck to be warm in the freezing cold OR cool when it's 90 degrees out? Their response is "the guy that ordered these 30 trucks forgot to order that package--WHAT???
cooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
reeper

Drives: 2010 HD D/A, 2015 Z06, 2016 2SS
The Camaro is a great car - to a small niche or enthusiasts.

I was happy to take advantage of some steep discounts but if GM doesn't start limiting production there won't be a Gen7....
OEM Blackout tail-lamps
OEM SEMA Grille
35% window tint
Black glow-tie
BMR Suspension (Pretty much everything)
ACS rear-deck spoiler
Rotofab CAI
Lolly-pop red rotors by Madison Powder Coating
reeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #12
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooden View Post
The only people flooding dealers with $50K cars are the idiots at the dealership who order their inventory. Do you know how many dealerships have the stupidest assortment of vehicles/options? I've seen it with trucks, cars & the Camaro. I've literally offered for FREE to order the inventory at my dealership because 90% of the time they have to dealer trade for me--for instance, not adding the package onto Silverados that includes remote start & rear window defogger--we live in Rochester, NY!!! Who the hell wouldn't want their truck to be warm in the freezing cold OR cool when it's 90 degrees out? Their response is "the guy that ordered these 30 trucks forgot to order that package--WHAT???
Lol that sounds like the typical GM disconnect between factory and dealers. I was very surprised that someone at my local dealer ordered 3 1LEs for the lot.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #13
HuJass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There is a flaw in their logic: November is typically one of if not the worst selling months for Camaros. As spring rolls in, sales pick up by a few thousand units normally. So the 30,000 cars would likely be gone in 4 to 5 months if they stopped building them today.

Now, are inventory levels high? Absolutely. A 4 and a half month supply is bad, ideally it would be around half that. But things are not as bad as the article makes it seem.
4-5 months is still terrible.
Like you say, optimum is 2-3 months.
I think things ARE as bad as the article says.

They can't keep cranking them out like they are. They'll have to idle production sometime this winter. They just can't keep going like they are.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
Old 12-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #14
HuJass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
All that gets you is 1 more year of bad 5th gen sales.
I think the last year of the 5th gen outsold the 1st year of the 6th gen.
Can somebody call up those numbers?
2004 Colorado ZQ8
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U