Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2018, 04:24 AM   #1
Brent114

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro rs
Question Duals to Quads

I have a 2015 V6 Camaro with duals right now and i'm wanting to put quads on it. I was wonder how i would do it? How's anyone done it??
Brent114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:07 AM   #2
Yellow Bullet

Drives: 2017 Chevy Sonic RS 1.4T
You would need a 1LE or ZL1 rear fascia as well as the quad tips. The factory mufflers don't give any room to replace the dual tips with quads though.
http://tips.byethost4.com

2017 Sonic Mosaic Black RS 1.4T
Yellow Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Yeah, any exhaust will require pipes to be rebent before and after the mufflers for clearance for quad tips. Plus as the poster above me said, you need the NPP diffuser for the rear end.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:18 AM   #4
Brent114

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro rs
Okay thank you guys. Do you know how much it'll cost? Is it worth doing?
Brent114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
Yellow Bullet

I had mufflers put on with it so it cost me around 1k, I would say it's definitely worth it. Have always liked the quad tips over any other diffuser

Old 06-11-2018, 08:23 AM   #6
Marklar

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent114 View Post
Okay thank you guys. Do you know how much it'll cost? Is it worth doing?
I'll let you know tomorrow after my consultation this afternoon. I have an axle-back clamped on now. I bought the tips and diffuser last week. I'm going to get a quote on welding the axle-back and tips, replacing the diffuser, and another quote for adding Hemholtz resonators (J-pipes) because I'm losing my mind over this 1800-2000rpm drone.

BTW, the link the provided above to buy the tips is legit. The website looks shady as **** (mostly because it looks like it was programmed in 1997), but I can attest for it. $125, zero shipping and handling, and I got my tips in the mail in less than 36 hours. I was shocked as they didn't sent me a confirmation email with shipping info after I ordered it. The confirmation of shipment email came after they had already arrived at my front door lol
Marklar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marklar View Post
I'll let you know tomorrow after my consultation this afternoon. I have an axle-back clamped on now. I bought the tips and diffuser last week. I'm going to get a quote on welding the axle-back and tips, replacing the diffuser, and another quote for adding Hemholtz resonators (J-pipes) because I'm losing my mind over this 1800-2000rpm drone.

BTW, the link the provided above to buy the tips is legit. The website looks shady as **** (mostly because it looks like it was programmed in 1997), but I can attest for it. $125, zero shipping and handling, and I got my tips in the mail in less than 36 hours. I was shocked as they didn't sent me a confirmation email with shipping info after I ordered it. The confirmation of shipment email came after they had already arrived at my front door lol

Do you have the Magnaflow resonated x? I feel like I might as well be a Magnaflow salesman with how much I ask that question here lolol but it really does kill most drone. Granted, I don't know if it's more or less cost effective to add it and remove the stock H and resonators vs helmholtz pipes.

OP, the only thing to remember if you get it done is that it's just an appearance mod. Won't sound any different or anything, but the quad tips look much sharper. It looks like the diffuser you need is part number 22829477.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 06-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
Marklar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Do you have the Magnaflow resonated x? I feel like I might as well be a Magnaflow salesman with how much I ask that question here lolol but it really does kill most drone. Granted, I don't know if it's more or less cost effective to add it and remove the stock H and resonators vs helmholtz pipes.
I do not and yes I've seen you mention it several times lol. I doing the j-pipes for several reasons.

First (and most importantly), building custom hemholtz resonators will almost definitely be cheaper than buying the magnaflow X pipe AND paying to have my exhaust cut/welded again. I'm already paying for the labor to weld my axle backs and tips, it will be easy for them to add a few inches of pipe stock. I haven't gotten my quote yet, but I'm expecting to see the $70-110 range to add them.

Secondly, if it ends up not working as expected I can still install the x-pipe.

Thirdly, the x-pipe will still muffle the sound and change the tone, which is what I'm most trying to avoid. I love the sound of my car currently. There's several comparison videos before and after adding the res-X pipe and they're noticeably quieter and the tone changes.

The biggest benefit of the x-pipe is it eliminated rasp, which is not my problem. Rasp comes from uneven air flow (laminar versus turbulent flow). My problem is there is a resonance at the starts ~1700rpm and continues through about 2000. When I cruise in that range the volume in the cabin gets progressively louder. You can really feel it when you're sitting at the same RPM for a while (like highway cruising at ~1850) and it gets louder and louder and louder until my eardrums are ringing. That happens because of the harmonic frequency from sound waves bouncing off each other in the exhaust system and the ~120Hz waves resonate and amplify. I need to cut the resonance by adding a resonator.

If I end up getting high flow cats or an upgraded cam or whatever that will significantly increase air flow through my pipes, I'll likely look into a resonated X-pipe because I'll likely have rasp, but for now I'll get the J-pipes and see how that works out for me.

I feel like I've made a well thought-out decision. If there's anything I said here that doesn't add up, maybe you can correct me, I'd like to hear others' thoughts.

Edit: Sorry for the novel lol. Didn't realize I'd typed that much until after I was finished.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Nah, you're good. There have been a ton of discussions about the effectiveness of helmholtz chambers and the numbers to back it up, I totally get it. The reason I always suggest the Magnaflow X is two fold; first, the stock H pipe is terrible. The V6 wants an X pipe, and with it added and the stock resonators removed, you really don't lose a lot of volume, but the exhaust drops a few octaves in tone. That's why exhaust videos sound so much quieter, not because of an actual decrease in volume. When I start my car, it has a deep bellow that you feel in your chest, and it sets off close car alarms in parking garages. Which is also tied to the second point - since it doesn't decrease volume that much but has such a profound effect on in cabin noise, it obviously increases exhaust flow in some meaningful manner.

That said, since you suggested high flow cats, I guess you have stock cats. In your case, yeah, maybe adding the resonated x isn't the best choice, unless you removed your rear cats.

But hey, as I'm sure you know, I just love to make the suggestion. You've done your homework. I dig it honestly.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:08 PM   #10
Marklar

Yea, I have everything stock except for the axle-back and the intake. I didn't realize you meant to remove the resonators as well. That would definitely change the tone and probably cause the rasp that the res X is so good at fixing.

Not that I'm trying to hijack this thread (lol), but since you've brought it up, what do you mean by the stock H pipe is terrible?
Old 06-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #11
DSX_Camaro

Okay, first, I shouldn't say it's terrible, because it's not. It functions right enough to balance the sides. The SS guys call the entire mid-pipe section by the connection (which stock is the H pipe) and for us from the H back it necks down to 2.25". The H and the smaller pipe change the V6's sound profile a bit and make it higher pitched and hollow sounding - er, the same kind of hollow that old school muscle cars have I suppose, which is also part of why the V6 gets hate for muffler deletes. If it came with an X pipe the sound profile would be just different enough that I think there would be less criticism from people that don't own V6s. That part is just frustrating. It should've had the same exhaust as the SS (which I'd think would be more cost effective too, to have 2 sets instead of 3, V6, LS3 and L99) which wouldn't fix everything but it would be a better starting place.

An X also should outflow an H on the top end too, but no one has ever dyno'd it to see on these.

But yeah, compared to like the LS3 which is a crossplane V8, the V6s have a 1 2 3 4 5 6 firing order, alternating left and right constantly. Unlike the V8 that would occasionally have uneven exhaust pressure between both sides (and use the H to balance it as such), the V6 should always be the same, so the best way to assist scavenging would be an X.

It's a lot more theory than proof, trust me, I know. I've just tried a lot of different exhaust combinations now and the worst part is easily the H.

Uh. Sorry OP. Yeah. Little off topic now. Lol. Hope they decided on their quads.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #12
Marklar

Just got done at the shop yesterday. He said it would be $350-400 total. ~100 just to install the diffuser so I'm considering doing that myself because the tutorials make it look really easy. He didn't break it down line by line unfortunately so I cant say exactly how much everything is individually but he said 3-4hours labor. Assuming standard-ish labor rates of $80/hr ($320 for 4 hrs) he's basically adding the j-pipes for free. He said he probably has 2" pipe lying around he can use, it's just a matter of cutting and welding.

So anyway, OP, take that for what you will. If I had to estimate only replacing the diffuser and adding new tips, I would guess $150-200 to install everything. maybe as low as 80 for only welding tips if you have the diffuser installed already. Tutorial to take off your current one here: https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153221
Old 06-14-2018, 09:08 AM   #13
Yellow Bullet

When I replaced my diffuser, I wasn't worried about the stock one do it ended up breaking... would've be a pain if I tried to save it. Putting in the new one is a pieceof cake, dont pay someone else to instal it

Old 06-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
Marklar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Bullet View Post
dont pay someone else to instal it
Planning on it, but I have to do it tonight or never because the tips are getting welded on tomorrow!