Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
indigloflow

Drives: Summit White 2ssrs inferno
Sub Thump Complete systems. LONG!!

I also sent this to the guys at ********, didn't get a reply yet, I'm sure there busy. Thought you guys might be able to chime in.

The subs in question are Kicker CVR 2 ohm either 10 or 12 inch
The amp for either setup is a kicker ZX750.1

Complete systems are between 6 to 8 hundred complete with enclosure,amp,subs and wiring.

I was checking out your products on your website, which I found on the camaro5 forumn. I must say you make some excellent products. With that said I'm just getting back into stereo systems the last system I had was 2 punch pro 12's and a punch 45 amp. Needless to say that was 15 plus years ago, and I could use your products and help to self install a system in my new camaro. When you get a chance could you please answer a few questions for me. Thanks in advance.

1. Do you guys produce and sell a complete system with 3 tens, I didn't see one on your site?

2. I am looking for tight hard hitting bass, would I be better with 2 10 inch woofers, 3 ten
inch woofers, or 2 12 inch woofers?

3. I noticed you sell the same amp for two 12 inch woofers and 2 ten inch woofers on
your complete packages, could it adequately push 3 tens?

4. How hard is it to install the bass control knob? and what location do you recomend
installing it on the new camaro.

Thank You Very much for your time and effort,

Jesse Church
indigloflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
gr8daneh
460 RWHP 420 RWTQ

Drives: 2SS/RS - IBM LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigloflow View Post
I also sent this to the guys at ********, didn't get a reply yet, I'm sure there busy. Thought you guys might be able to chime in.

Complete systems are between 6 to 8 hundred complete with enclosure,amp,subs and wiring.

I was checking out your products on your website, which I found on the camaro5 forumn. I must say you make some excellent products. With that said I'm just getting back into stereo systems the last system I had was 2 punch pro 12's and a punch 45 amp. Needless to say that was 15 plus years ago, and I could use your products and help to self install a system in my new camaro. When you get a chance could you please answer a few questions for me. Thanks in advance.

1. Do you guys produce and sell a complete system with 3 tens, I didn't see one on your site?

2. I am looking for tight hard hitting bass, would I be better with 2 10 inch woofers, 3 ten

3. I noticed you sell the same amp for two 12 inch woofers and 2 ten inch woofers on

4. How hard is it to install the bass control knob? and what location do you recomend

Jesse Church

Sorry, just had to chime in quickly...

I just bought the 2x10 2 ohm package with the Kicker amp and subs. If you want tight bass, I think this setup will be more than adequate in the Camaro, especially at 2 ohms. 12's may overwhelm, but maybe I am wrong. I will be installing early next week as ******** has already packaged and shipped my order. FAST... I will be posting a review shortly thereafter!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigloflow View Post

Jesse Church

1. 3 tens aren't needed, unless you are craving output. Plus, it would be hard to impedance match three.

2. Number of subs, size of the cones doesn't determine if the bass is tight or not. Enclosure does. If you want more output, grab the two 12s, if not, the pair of tens will work. Since the ******** enclosure is sealed, the tight bass you are after will be there, if teh enclosure size is right.

3. Yep, the Kicker ZX750.1 can push 3 tens, and do it fine. It isn't needed.

4. Depending on how stealth you want the knob to be, it can be as simple as running the cord and double side taping it to something. Or as hard as drilling a hole somewhere and disassembling the knob and hiding it. Either way, keep it close to where you can reach it safely, it you must have it.
Also, set your amp up with the knob cranked, then turn it down as needed. That way you lower the risk of overdriving the amp/subs when you crank teh knob.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #4
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
I dont understand why folks are spending 600 - 800 on just subs and amps and not touching the rest of the system. If your adding 2 subs and 750 watts to an OEM system that puts 15w - 20w (assuming no BA) to some cheap OEM speakers, what is the likelihood that your going to be happy with the OEM powered door speakers? The head unit in my wife's Subaru puts out 8w per channel... 8! (as an example)

For 800.00 you can put together a pretty decent system (not top of the line, but better than Dual or Sony and light years better than OEM) that you would actually be happy with.

I realize this doesnt answer your question so feel free to ignore me... otherwise, I would encourage you to look into a whole system versus just adding a sub to a mediocre front stage and hoping to be happy.

you can get a decent set of components a single 12" sub and a solid 4 or 6-channel amp that will power it all for the same money and be much happier, have a trunk and have some good SQ.

I 100% agree with mrray13 on all his points.

At the VERY least, you need to go through your car and start identifying places to add sound deadener. Spend a little of that $$ on some FatMat or some Second Skin (there are lots of brands) deadener

Also, its important to remember that subs provide bass, but generally dont provide "punch"... midbass provides the "punch" and the subs give that punch balls. Assuming of course you want to listen to a drum beat versus just the sound of bass. If you dont believe me, turn off your mids/highs and just run subs with nothing else. the bass is there, but it just doesnt have the punch most of us really enjoy.

I will get off my soap box now...

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
indigloflow

Drives: Summit White 2ssrs inferno
Thanks for the help guys, still haven't heard back from sub thump so I appreciated all your help and opinions.
indigloflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Having installed two ******** enclosures while messing with my single 12" install, I would logistically recommend the two 10". The reason for this is that the 12" begins to get close to the edge with the mounting screws. The 10" would leave a little more room for screwing it down. I mention this only cause in doing my install I said several times "man a ten would have been much easier".

Also at Topdown, I think we focus on the sub adding because it is easier then replacing the other speakers. While your point is very valid, adding a sub it the easiest to do first. As mrray told me once, once you start upgrading your audio you wont stop.
Cheers
K
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriartii View Post
As mrray told me once, once you start upgrading your audio you wont stop.
Cheers
K

ooooh... hot dang, in all seriousness, thats the best answer I have ever heard and looking back at my car audio budget over the past 20+ years, I would have to agree, 100%. lol!

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
ooooh... hot dang, in all seriousness, thats the best answer I have ever heard and looking back at my car audio budget over the past 20+ years, I would have to agree, 100%. lol!
It's addictive, that's for sure, lol!

I agree that too many people focus on the speaker that reproduces the smallest amount of frequency response as well. Yet, it's what most seem to crave, and that's what the manufacturer's push.

There is much more to audio then simply adding a sub/amp. I'd relate it too a nitrous on a motor. It adds the biggest bang for the buck, but it isn't a system that can do everything, all the time. A turbo/supercharger is like a complete system, it's not drag race only. They'll work on a road course, or daily driving, much like a complete audio system will reproduce everything, regardless of genre. n2o and subs are great for the blast down the strip, that boom that lets everyone know you've arrived. They are also the cheapest, easiest install, and in most cases, you see/hear the gains much easier. They are right now.

Okay, I think I confused myself, but I hope you can read through the mumble jumbel and understand my point, lol.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Moriartii

Drives: 11 IOM 2SS/RS M6 w/Hurst
Yes I am a bit mad at mrray right now since I got in trouble with the wife. I hooked up the sub and all last night and while very please I said to her.............. now I gotta upgrade the other speakers...................... she hit me!!!
Moriartii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
som315

Drives: SS M6
Over the past 15 years, I have installed all of my own sound systems.
It has always been 1 or 2 woofers. So I asked myself, why not a system with 3 tens?
I have 3 Alpine SWR-1043D & a JL 1000/1v2, the 450/4v2 is begging to come out and play.
I Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop upgrading. It's addictive, for sure!! I love this system!!!

Last edited by som315; 06-05-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typing error
som315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #11
Texzen

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/RS/1LE
Just finished my install w/the 10w3v2-d4 and JL 300/4. Added some MUCH NEEDED bottom end to what was, in my opinion, pretty anemic even for a factory upgrade. Now I'm definitely going to have to pick up another amp for just the subs and move the 300v4 to the other speakers...now if I could only get my focal tweets to fit in the stock BA tweeter location...

Moriartii, let's meet up this week, I want to compare notes, sound, upgrade lists, etc...
Texzen is offline   Reply With Quote