Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
Midlife Crisis

Drives: 2LT/RS
On Star Emissions warning

Ok I'm new to all this including posting so here I go. I have read a lot threads about CEL lights. I dont have a light on but On Star sent this.I Have JBA shorty's installed for about 2weeks with MRT V2 like it a lot Jenny (sorry Forest Gump Reference). Yes had to adjust to it but its great. Installing Long tube Ingen this weekend. Should I be worried?I know everybody has talked about this sorry just asking the question.

Emissions System • There may be an issue requiring action. Push your blue OnStar button and request an On-Demand Diagnostics Check.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Take it to the local parts store and see if they'll run a diagnostic and ask if they'll clear the code.
Is the CEL illuminated on your car?
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
With all those mods I beleive that you'll need a Trifecta Tune.....
Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Actually, the shorty headers don't require a tune, but they have popped a CEL before usually due to the flange on the JBA's. It's not extremely common, but for those that get the CEL it is annoying. I'd also check to make sure all your O2 sensors are still plugged in.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
doesn't jba shorties have leak issues causing cel's?
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Mine did this one time. Kinda weird- it was during that freak freeze we had down here. It never popped a CEL, and the next month's report was clean.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Midlife Crisis

Thanks for the input drove last night no code. Just got that On-Star warning. Going to let it go until i get the code.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
Midlife Crisis

Got CEL today plugged in reader got P2097 . I have looked over most of the other post on this issue.they seem to say that I'M running lean. Before I put on the JBA headers i noticed the that the tail pipes had some soot in them. After installing JBA they seem less sooty. I was told by a friend that a rich car has excess fuel not burnt off and it goes out the tail pipe. Leaner the mix less soot. The question how do i fix this? If I install my Ingen long tube CAI will this make it worse? not looking forward to the answer that i need a tune for short headers. P.S i checked my JBA install cant find any leaks had it done by a shop seems like good work.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

JBA has a flange that get welded to the stock mid-pipe and used to then bolt the headers to the stock exhaust. There's been a lot of discussion on this in the past. There's plenty of people that have had no issues and some that are having issues. One guy unbolted his mid-pipes, made a gasket for the stacker flange and resealed it with great success. Others have had issues with a porous weld, but that wouldn't be a JBA issue.
You're not going to be able to see the leak for a little while but you'll be able to feel it. With the car running put your hand down near the flange and you should be able to feel which side is leaking. Some of the others who had issues also had shops install their headers so that's no guarantee.
Has the shop that did the install looked at it? If there's a possibility it may be a leak your best bet is to not get the tune and get it sealed up.

Good luck, I know it can be a pain at times. How do they sound?
Old 05-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
The flange that gets welded to the mid-pipe is made of a thin, light duty material that can readily warp from the heat of welding, making a pressurized, airtight seal difficult. I think you could make both of them from one recycled Pepsi can.
Shame on JBA for not providing the same "bolt-together" traditional exhaust flange just like they did for their V8 Camaro shorty header.

There, I've vented.

When mine were leaking it popped CEL #POO41, but your CEL may have the same origin. If so, tell your shop to order some Acousti/Seal exhaust sealing compound, part #35959 by Tenneco. Tell'em to put a good coat in the stacker flange interface and then line the inside of the V-clamp with a coat as well. They do not claim it to be "sensor safe", so keep it outside the exhaust pipe.

Be prepared for it to smoke awhile, and smell even longer, but it'll quit and the smile will return to your face
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 AM   #11
Midlife Crisis

Thanks again to every one for your help. I went ahead an installed the Ingen long tube CAI. WOW what deference it makes. I would recommend to anyone.