Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
bombgolf

Drives: 45th Anniv 2SS/RS Convertible
Torque Converter??? Surging? Need advice

Torque converter causing surging?? My dealer took my car out to check the surging and lunging and it performed exactly as it has been for me so they are trying to isolate and diagnose the problem... The CSM and one of their techs took her out with the computer all hooked up... Apparently the computer indicated that my torque converter was locking up intermittently causing the surging... Does that make sense? My car only has 4700 miles...

My service department has been great... And trying to help but i wanted to get some thoughts from the smart folks here...

Any thoughts?
bombgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Sftshldr
Beast Rider

Drives: 2017 ZL1 BLK A10
TCM problem most likely, but could still be the converter I suppose if you drive "spiritedly":

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...e/viewall.html - "old article, but good stuf ... "

6L80 Six-Speed Automatic:
This new-gen GM trans is so sophisticated that it has a separate computer (TCM or transmission control module). Incorrect TCM tuning causes more problems than hard-parts failures.

TCM calibration: Reprogramming is required when changing engine rpm range, shift points, or rearend gear ratio. A significant power change increases engine acceleration rate, which changes the amount of trans slip; both impact when the shift needs to occur compared with when the TCM calculates it should occur.

TAPshift lag: When enabled, on-demand manual gear changes are made via steering wheel paddles. TAPshift permits holding a specific gear around a road course without fear that the trans might upshift or downshift during a turn and destabilize the car. It also works well for a burnout, but input lag creates straight-line acceleration issues; for drag racing, reprogram to upshift automatically at a desired shift rpm.

Torque management damage: Disabling torque management completely can cause failures. LPE says, "With a clutch-to-clutch trans like the 6L80, some torque management is needed to reduce the torque momentarily and allow time for the clutch for the desired gear to engage."
Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
bombgolf

She is completely stock... I have been leery of doing anything to her, as I don't want to lose my warranty... I want to throw some mods on her as frankly, I don't think she feels pulls like an SS with 400 foot pounds of torque and 400 ponies...
Old 04-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bombgolf View Post
Torque converter causing surging?? My dealer took my car out to check the surging and lunging and it performed exactly as it has been for me so they are trying to isolate and diagnose the problem... The CSM and one of their techs took her out with the computer all hooked up... Apparently the computer indicated that my torque converter was locking up intermittently causing the surging... Does that make sense? My car only has 4700 miles...

My service department has been great... And trying to help but i wanted to get some thoughts from the smart folks here...

Any thoughts?
That does seem like a strange occurrence, but I applaud you for taking the vehicle to the dealership for an official diagnosis bombgolf. I'd like to open a case regarding your concerns and document what you have described. There may be some options I can explore. Don't hesitate to private message me so I can research these matters further.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
bombgolf

Bump... I am a bit nervous about having my transmission removed and a new torque converter installed, if thats not likely the issue...If its the TCM, is there something that they should be looking for (code or??) to indicate the TCM is bad?

Any advice or suggestions from the smart folks on here?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
bombgolf

Ok, had the torque convertor replaced and the surging seemed to stop and all seemed right....UNTIL... Yesterday, when I went to pass someone and it seemed like it double shifted on each gear, you could feel a noticeable 2 lunge on the downshift and then as it up shifted to get around the car in front of me... Any thoughts on what that could be? Any thoughts?