Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Nails

Drives: 02 Saturn VUE, 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Electrical Problems

I'll try to make a long story short. Last year I got my 2010 Camaro SS. I bought it at the same dealership I bought my 2000 Camaro from. The dealership is 45 minutes away but they gave me the best price out of 5 nearby dealerships I checked. First problem I had was a dead battery after sitting for 3 days. Put it in and they replaced the battery because it failed the battery test. Three days later....Dead. I took it to the dealership I bought it and they couldn't find anything wrong so I left it there for three days so they could replicate the problem. They ended up finding a short after looking for three days. It had a crushed wire under the driver's seat causing the short. Six months go by with no problems. So one day I go to start it and it does a click click with hesitation before it starts. I thought the starter was sticking from not driving it for a month. So a week later it does it again. I drive a few miles then park it for 10 minutes. When I get back in the car is completely dead. No dome light no windows nothing. I call my friend for a jump and when he gets there 10 minutes later everything is fine and it fires up. Just before the winter I put it in at the dealership by my job and they can't replicate it of course and say they checked all the wires and can't find anything wrong with it. They acted like they really didn't try too hard to find the problem. After this past winter I started it and had the same click click before starting it up. It would do it maybe 1 in 10 starts. So this week I put it in at the dealer I bought it from again and when I dropped it off the mechanic got in it to move it and it did it for him on the first start. Today I get it back after 3 days in. It ended up being the main ground was loose to the starter. I've read some stories here about similar problems and the dealer couldn't find a problem. It really goes to show that it matters where you bring your Camaro to be serviced. I took it 45 minutes away to get good service when I have 5 shitty dealers half as far. Has anybody else had similar electrical problems?
Nails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
lionssfan

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
I'm gm tec....These things happen sometime from the factory. not your paticular problem, but different. human error, epuipment malfunction. all the manufacturers have these kinds of problems. All of them are always trying to work on keeping these errors/warrenty numbers down of course. Warrenty issues are always going to be there. there will never be 200.000 cars sold with not one issue. sorry to here about your problems and glad to here it got taken care of. actually that would be the first place to look if had a click noise at the starter. because that means at least your getting some kind of voltage at the starter. it's just a matter of is it enough voltage and if so the starter needs a good ground to be able to operate. if you had no click then you have to start looking at starer relay voltages, ignition, anit theft sys. this should of been an easy find for a tec.
lionssfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
Nails

That's kind of my point. If you have a problem and a particular dealer can't fix it you may have better luck at another dealer. I've read some other posts here about electrical problems that weren't resolved after being towed to the dealer and they say "can't replicate" which really means "we can't figure out what's wrong with your car". I wish I was a GM tech so I could fix these things myself but I'm not. I figured that was the problem too but didn't know what wire was what. I hope I'm done with any electrical problems. Two issues in 12 months isn't fun.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Glad to see your dealer was able to get you back and running. Have you had the issue come back or anything of that nature? Also thank you for giving your experience. It may help to save other members their time or their money.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
Nails

Thanks for your concern. So far so good! If it does it again I'll let you know but they were very certain it was the problem and I trust their word.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
tcotrel

Drives: '10 Camaro RS, '11 Mazda3
I started this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...12#post3626712

I will re-post it here:

The dashboard backlight in the center stack (including the radio/head unit) of our 2010 RS automatic went on and stayed on. I couldn't do anything to turn it off, or for that matter to turn on the radio. The following morning the battery was drained and I had to call a professional for a (very difficult) jump-start. The initial problem disappeared after I finally got the car started.

The dealer checked it out (they had another C5 with the same issue) and could not replicate it and could not find anything wrong. They even checked the body control module. They called GM to no avail.
tcotrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I no longer work at a dealership, but consider this. In 1982, most cars had 1 relay(starter) and no computers. When a dome light stayed on, you disconnected door jamb switches untill the light went out. Now the dome light has no connection to the door jamb switches. The switches tell the body control module to turn on the dome light. The typical car has 25 or more relays and at least 3 and as many as 11 control modules. If one of those modules or relays had an intermittent problem that didn't set a code, throwing parts at the problem won't help. In such a situation, if the fault isn't currently happening, testing gets you nowhere. The problem HAS to happen while the car is at the dealership for them to find it.