Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
JWoj3540

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS M6
First Test Drive...Update!

To everyone that helped me out on my post from the other day and is interested in how it went (and to all others for that matter)...I had a great experience! (Did not buy the car as I wasn't planning on it).

I will be eventually getting an SS, but wanted to take the V6 out for comparison sake and to see what the LFX can do (albeit a V6, it is a nice piece of engineering technology). The saleswoman (nice younger lady) tossed me the keys and said see ya in a bit, which I was somewhat surprised by, but was great! (I'm 25 so thought they may not trust me).

The LFX was a nice riding car and had some satisfying pick-up...but form the first open throttle...I knew it wasn't enough. Rolling back in she brought out an SS for me. They had me test drive a used one (2010), which was fine. I peaked around a noticed a few mods (muffler delete and CAI). From the moment I started her up I was pumping with adrenaline. I hauled ass around the streets as they were still pretty empty (it was 10am on a Saturday).

I figured I'd give the competition its due diligence. Although I'm sold on the Camaro, I wanted to drive a Mustang and Challenger for the experience. I rolled around in a 5.0L Mustang GT and was impressed by its smooth pick-up and handling. Felt nice...but just doesn't do it for me on very many levels. The Challenger on the other hand was much more impressive than I expected. Deceived by its exterior bulkiness, I was pleasantly surprised in its handling and smooth ride. I test drove an R/T so it had a 5.7L Hemi. I am still completely devoted to the Camaro, but if I wasn't a GM guy I would be seriously considering the Challenger.

By the way...in the four test drives...I was by myself on all of them! I did a similar 10-15 minute loop in each car. What a great morning, now I just gotta wait to April to pull the trigger.

Thanks again.
JWoj3540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Btmonty2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS white with IO vert
Btmonty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
Nice!

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
insidethreat07

Drives: 2001 Camaro 3.8
Old 10-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Thanks for confirming my purchase!
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Glad to hear you had such a good experience Cwoj, hopefully I'll see you out there next year on some of the tracks or maybe on Woodward hahahahaha.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Happy you had a good test drive. Must admit during the last 44 years mostly owned luxury cars. I was concerned about a hard ride. I asked car buddies what streets had most potholes, etc. Sent this harsh route to my sales associcate mapping out my 40 min. text drive.
No issues and firm ride was acceptible on worst of city streets.
I also liked the Mustang but prefered the Camaro style. Difference between the rear axle setup between Mustang and Camaro sold me on the Camaro.
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Wakemaker89

Drives: 2020 Summit White LT1 M6
Send a message via Skype™ to Wakemaker89
Awesome to hear it went great! I'm surprised you liked that challenger though. I too did my due diligence on the competition and drove an R/T challenger and was not at all impressed. It felt big and floaty and very un-sporty. Didn't ever get around to driving the mustang but wasn't impressed with the looks and just decided to buy the camaro instead! Haven't regretted a second of it
Old 10-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
Sweet!
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
doubletap407

Drives: 2011 ls v6 blacked out
Old 10-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #11
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post
To everyone that helped me out on my post from the other day and is interested in how it went (and to all others for that matter)...I had a great experience! (Did not buy the car as I wasn't planning on it).

I will be eventually getting an SS, but wanted to take the V6 out for comparison sake and to see what the LFX can do (albeit a V6, it is a nice piece of engineering technology). The saleswoman (nice younger lady) tossed me the keys and said see ya in a bit, which I was somewhat surprised by, but was great! (I'm 25 so thought they may not trust me).

The LFX was a nice riding car and had some satisfying pick-up...but form the first open throttle...I knew it wasn't enough. Rolling back in she brought out an SS for me. They had me test drive a used one (2010), which was fine. I peaked around a noticed a few mods (muffler delete and CAI). From the moment I started her up I was pumping with adrenaline. I hauled ass around the streets as they were still pretty empty (it was 10am on a Saturday).

I figured I'd give the competition its due diligence. Although I'm sold on the Camaro, I wanted to drive a Mustang and Challenger for the experience. I rolled around in a 5.0L Mustang GT and was impressed by its smooth pick-up and handling. Felt nice...but just doesn't do it for me on very many levels. The Challenger on the other hand was much more impressive than I expected. Deceived by its exterior bulkiness, I was pleasantly surprised in its handling and smooth ride. I test drove an R/T so it had a 5.7L Hemi. I am still completely devoted to the Camaro, but if I wasn't a GM guy I would be seriously considering the Challenger.

By the way...in the four test drives...I was by myself on all of them! I did a similar 10-15 minute loop in each car. What a great morning, now I just gotta wait to April to pull the trigger.

Thanks again.

Yeh they are all nice, but when you get down to it the Challenger SRT8 kicks all of thems ass in a flat out run but you will pay more for it.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:07 AM   #12
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Challenger SRT8

PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
jasonsk287

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoj3540 View Post

Thanks again.
Nice to hear you were able to go out on your own. That's always a really good thing; you can really concentrate on the car. I have the LFX V6 in my '12 and love it. On the other hand I'm surprised to hear you say this about the Challenger. Everything I read said that the handling suffered because it was so big. But I know it has since been updated so that might have something to do with it. I sat in a 2012 Mustang GT yesterday at a car show and the interior didn't wow me at all. Neither did the exterior. There are just too many of them on the road IMO.
Anyway, good luck! Waiting is going to be tough after driving it!
jasonsk287 is offline   Reply With Quote