Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 11-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
After market exhaust effect on rear aerodynamics

I've always wondered if there are any noticeable negative affects of deleting the OEM mufflers. As I recall the OEM mufflers are supposed to be part of the rear diffuser aerodynamics where by wind flowing under the car flows over the shaped mufflers and is dispersed by the diffuser.

When the OEM mufflers are deleted or replaced, there is a big gaping hole where the air flow can create all sorts of currents and eddies.

Has anyone consider a rear belly pan to replace the function of the OEM mufflers?
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
the rear of the car can catch up to 1.21 mega newton jewels of quantum friction if not diffused. this Jrod motorsports patented diffused diffuser relieves over half of the potential negative effects of the a fore mentioned scavenging residuals. im not an aerodynamics expert but none of these other internet know it alls are either. lol i figured id relieve the tension before they all come in here out talking one another.
i took a hole saw to my rear diffuser to let any pressure out that might be there. a rear belly pan might help. it would probably be best if a man could make an incorporated pan/real diffuser like a race car has. the rear diffuser would be a part of the rear pan. it would angle up way sooner than the factory one. the factory rear diffuser is cosmetic at best and only catches air.
Attached Images

JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNSONROD View Post
the rear of the car can catch up to 1.21 mega newton jewels of quantum friction if not diffused. this Jrod motorsports patented diffused diffuser relieves over half of the potential negative effects of the a fore mentioned scavenging residuals. im not an aerodynamics expert but none of these other internet know it alls are either. lol i figured id relieve the tension before they all come in here out talking one another.
i took a hole saw to my rear diffuser to let any pressure out that might be there. a rear belly pan might help. it would probably be best if a man could make an incorporated pan/real diffuser like a race car has. the rear diffuser would be a part of the rear pan. it would angle up way sooner than the factory one. the factory rear diffuser is cosmetic at best and only catches air.
I mentioned how this was nothing but a cosmetic parachute years ago on this forum when some Idiot asked me for proof that it holds back our cars WOW. I mentioned taking off the rear defuser during events.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
My understanding is that the rear valance becomes a parachute.
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:21 PM   #5
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I studied aerodynamics at Embry-Riddle... and I still won't make an assertion as to what the best setup is but I think the OP's concern is valid. I've also seen wind tunnel tests where the "bunch-o-holes" approach pictured above cause extreme extra drag since the outer surface of the valence was a low pressure area- it sucked the air back IN the holes.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I spoke with some Camaro TEAM engineers about this way back in 2009. Removing the OE exhaust does increase drag. I can't remember the exact amount. It wasn't much, something like 2 MPH at top speed.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #7
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
The dead space behind the diffuser has the same aerodynamic principles at work that the bed of a truck has.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
The dead space behind the diffuser has the same aerodynamic principles at work that the bed of a truck has.
Meaning?
Old 11-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
White_SS/RS

A pocket of air is created that allows faster moving air to flow over it much like it was solid. Of course actual solid material such as the role the mufflers play is better. Think of them somewhat as a tonneau cover. Probably why they said removing them only causes minor drag issues.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Great comments everyone. Keep em coming.

Problem with a rear "pan" would mean hiding the exhaust. But then, if Pete is right about the 2 mph, I don't think I'll lose sleep over that.
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Let's dispose of the term "pocket of air" as it's nonsense. There is high and low pressure, high and low velocities or stagnation. If you look at most well done diffusers in a wind tunnel, you'll see they are trying to marry the air passing under with the air passing over without creating undue turbulence. This isn't easy to do.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #12
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
Let's dispose of the term "pocket of air" as it's nonsense. There is high and low pressure, high and low velocities or stagnation. If you look at most well done diffusers in a wind tunnel, you'll see they are trying to marry the air passing under with the air passing over without creating undue turbulence. This isn't easy to do.
I agree it's a laymen term for sure.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #13
JOHNSONROD

Drives: 62 Chevy & 2021 1SS/1LE manual
Quote:
I studied aerodynamics at Embry-Riddle... and I still won't make an assertion as to what the best setup is but I think the OP's concern is valid. I've also seen wind tunnel tests where the "bunch-o-holes" approach pictured above cause extreme extra drag since the outer surface of the valence was a low pressure area- it sucked the air back IN the holes.

which of the many wind tunnel tests you have witnessed of camaros that have holey diffusers was the worst lolololol.
JOHNSONROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #14
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalnch View Post
Great comments everyone. Keep em coming.

Problem with a rear "pan" would mean hiding the exhaust. But then, if Pete is right about the 2 mph, I don't think I'll lose sleep over that.
Give or take a 1/2 mile an hour it is accurate. If the rear fascia really did become a full on drag item it would blow off at some speed in triple digits. I have not heard of this happening.

Quote:
I was looking for the Myth Busters version, but the photo in this GMC test make clear the concepts under discussion. This is not a complete answer, but it is a good illustration of flow.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...truck-mystery/