Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #309
wernergmhtp

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS/RS A6
For what it's worth... results of semi-official GM testing below.

With help from Chevrolet (who built and own the modified 2015 Camaro SS being tested), Grassroots Motorsports was able to show how actual oil temperatures compare with those indicated on the factory 4-pack gauge. Testing was performed using the same equipment GM uses during their own testing (literally the same - GM sent it to them).

This testing was done at VIR at full bore with track times in the 2:12s, and since I was present that July weekend with my own Camaro, I can verify that ambient temps were HOT.

Note that the car in question is STOCK in terms of the oil system and DOES NOT have an aftermarket oil cooler.

Special thanks to Grassroots Motorsports for allowing me to share the attached pdf with the forum, and be sure to check out summaries of the other stories on their 2015 Camaro SS project track car here. (Full stories are available in back issues.)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GRASS_133.pdf (131.7 KB, 3423 views)
wernergmhtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #310
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wernergmhtp View Post

With help from Chevrolet (who built and own the modified 2015 Camaro SS being tested), Grassroots Motorsports was able to show how actual oil temperatures compare with those indicated on the factory 4-pack gauge. Testing was performed using the same equipment GM uses during their own testing (literally the same - GM sent it to them).

This testing was done at VIR at full bore with track times in the 2:12s, and since I was present that July weekend with my own Camaro, I can verify that ambient temps were HOT.

Note that the car in question is STOCK in terms of the oil system and DOES NOT have an aftermarket oil cooler.

Special thanks to Grassroots Motorsports for allowing me to share the attached pdf with the forum, and be sure to check out summaries of the other stories on their 2015 Camaro SS project track car here. (Full stories are available in back issues.)
Thanks for posting that. I wasn't sure if we could or not hijack it from their magazine or website. It was a good build and the insight on this matter was nice to see out in public.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #311
JTRATX

Drives: 17 SS 1LE, 14 Yukon Denali
Can't see your pic on iPhone w tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTRATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #312
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:

Wernergmhtp, thank you for sharing that link!!!

"Our Ultimate Track Camaro SS hit the track again
recently, and it’s holding up as well as ever. When
we left off last time, we were adding heavier oil and
installing a mechanical thermocouple, because we
were seeing oil temp readings of nearly 320 degrees
(or more) on the factory gauge.
Turns out that was a false alarm.
Rather than an actual thermocouple gauge to
measure oil temperature, this Chevy uses a computer
algorithm that takes into account various parameters–
ambient temps, rpm, load, throttle position and
a zillion others–to simulate what it thinks the oil temperature
must be. That’s right, instead of measuring
the oil temperature, it basically measures everything
else and uses that data to model the temperature.
Chevy says the system works
great–except under occasional
weird circumstances, when
it doesn’t. Since this Camaro
sees 90 percent of its on time
at full throttle, we’d say that
counts as weird.
So Chevy sent us a
mechanical gauge and
a thermocouple that we
installed before our
Ultimate Track Car Challenge
event at VIR. The
result: nearly ideal oil
temps. Readings ranged
from about 275 to 285
degrees in the pan,
which we can completely
live with.
In the spirit of monitoring
even more
parameters, we also
installed a cool little
device from Auto Meter
called a DashLogic.
Plugged into the OBDII
port, the DashLogic
hijacks the driver info
center in between the
tach and speedo and
lets you display custom info from the OBD system–
stuff like steering angle, throttle position and
timing. This sub-$300 device installs in about a
second and provides a meaningful service, so we
call it a big win.
"
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #313
rockrau

Drives: 2010 2ss red LS3
wernergmhtp; What issue of GRMS is that? I think I am missing that important issue! Thanks!
Pedders Pace Car Kit with ZL1 sway bar conversion & camber bolt kit.Lowered 1.5". 1LE tires & wheels. CAI air intake. Anvil CF rear spoiler.MGW shifter. 1 7/8" Kooks LT headers & HF cats.V-Max ported TB. Tuned.
rockrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #314
wernergmhtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrau View Post
wernergmhtp; What issue of GRMS is that? I think I am missing that important issue! Thanks!
It's the December 2015 issue but there is some more discussion of the oil temperature issue, and their process for investigating it, in the November 2015 issue.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #315
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
So what I'm gathering from this is that a stock Camaro ss keeps a 285 degree oil temp? How can we display actual oil temp on the 4 gauge cluster instead of the calculated temp?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:37 PM   #316
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
So what I'm gathering from this is that a stock Camaro ss keeps a 285 degree oil temp? How can we display actual oil temp on the 4 gauge cluster instead of the calculated temp?
There's not a way to have it display anything other than what the computer outputs to the gauge. There may be a way to bypass the computer and have the electronic signal from the sender go directly to the gauge, but I Haven't seen anything along those lines yet. Most just go simple aftermarket gauges.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #317
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:

Wow great objective info.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #318
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
A MUST READ for Oil Temps for Tracking

I run a stand alone oil temp sensor with a digital gauge and have seen temps at 305 on a stock LS3 running a small cooler. After adding a 2nd cooler I didn't see temps above 285. I don't know how accurate an external engine block oil drain plug temp would be in relation to the actual oil temp, and from what the article states and show that's where they took their readings from.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #319
wernergmhtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
I run a stand alone oil temp sensor with a digital gauge and have seen temps at 305 on a stock LS3 running a small cooler. After adding a 2nd cooler I didn't see temps above 285. I don't know how accurate an external engine block oil drain plug temp would be in relation to the actual oil temp, and from what the article states and show that's where they took their readings from.
hcsi99, where exactly is your oil temp sensor located?

I'm not sure there is a way to measure "actual oil temp" because clearly, not all 8 qts are at the same temperature at the same time. Of course the temperature in the main oil gallery will be different from the temperature of the oil sitting on top of the heads, which will also be different from the temp of the oil in the pan. Is it the maximum temperature that matters? The amount of time spent at max temp vs. minimum temp?

I'm certainly not saying a given method of measurement is wrong. I'm just saying that clearly, GM Powertrain engineers thought about some of these questions before sending GRM one of their own oil drain plug thermocouples that they use in their own testing.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #320
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Quote:
hcsi99, where exactly is your oil temp sensor located?

I'm not sure there is a way to measure "actual oil temp" because clearly, not all 8 qts are at the same temperature at the same time. Of course the temperature in the main oil gallery will be different from the temperature of the oil sitting on top of the heads, which will also be different from the temp of the oil in the pan. Is it the maximum temperature that matters? The amount of time spent at max temp vs. minimum temp?

I'm certainly not saying a given method of measurement is wrong. I'm just saying that clearly, GM Powertrain engineers thought about some of these questions before sending GRM one of their own oil drain plug thermocouples that they use in their own testing.
My oil sensor is located in the oil cooler adapter out port going to the cooler. I agree, the oil might be a different temp in different parts of the engine. I also can't help but think that GM wouldn't want to admit that a car labeled as a track pack that 2% of the people that buy may actually take to the track would have a problem with the oil getting excessively hot. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #321
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
A MUST READ for Oil Temps for Tracking

I took a bit of a lead from the Z06 guys and put in a cooling duct aimed at the factory oil cooler. Running it this weekend but it's supposed to be cool so it won't be much of a test.

2014 ZL1

Last edited by MTCobra; 04-05-2016 at 06:31 PM.
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #322
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Not sure how the Camaro6 is with its temps but they didn't seem to address what most see as a oil temp problem in the introduction of the C7 either. I don't think GM sees a problem with Camaro's oil temps. An oil temp problem is too easy for the OEM to come up with a solution, they added a trans cooler on the 1LE, why not throw on a oil cooler as well? It isn't a cost issue. The price of an oil cooler is irrelevant in the big picture, especially if it's critical. I'm sure GM is on the cutting edge of oil technology and even I've seen many reports that 300 is not an excessively hot running temp for quality oils nowadays. Many oils claim they are capable at temps into the 400 range. My own oil reports show no indication of thermal related issues when it's spent significant time at 270-300. It may be time to rethink this as a norm and not as an issue.