Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-22-2020, 02:56 PM   #15
tartagliazl1

Drives: 2013 zl1 vert
Here is the spring coupler that was in my supercharger that was replaced in 2017. It was installed with very little grease, not packed at all. I had the rattle again so i replaces it with a solid one.
Attached Images

22% lower/ 2.5 upper/ 2” headers/ cat delete/ x-pipe/ 2 gallon x tank/ 100-3 pump/ fic 850/ dsx aux kit/ 103mm throttle body/ RPM 5” intake/ meth kit/ prometh lid injection/FI interchiller/ 160* stat/ ngk-7/ msd wires/ elite catch can/ tsp cam/ Che trunnions/ ported supercharger/ 1/2” lid spacer/ brick mod/BMR toe and trailing arms/ 751hp 757 tq SAE @17.3lb on a loaded dyno.
tartagliazl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:20 AM   #16
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I can tell you that after 3 other superchargers, I got one that rattles at idle. I assume a solid isolator. Only thing I can say that is encouraging is that it probably has 100k miles on it and it still sounds as crap as it did when it was replaced. No change is good change.

Noisy, rattily, solid isolator for the win. Sure beats the 20k mile squeal and seize...
Old 04-23-2020, 05:30 AM   #17
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Not sure I understood the question, but the original Eaton had a spring Isolator. There had been numerous complaints from the Cadillac group of a marble sound at idle but GM ignored the complaints as normal operation. When the Z was introduced with all the focus on a true track car that was fully warranteed and owners started complaining GM took notice, especially when many started replacing the Spring Isolator with a solid pinned unit from Lingenfelter.

Eventually GM started the TSB extended warranty coverage and began replacing initially the whole unit with a new Eaton. You couldn’t just do the Z's and not the caddy's for the same problem so caddy was added to the TSB. That in itself consumed all available stock as the caddy problem went back to 2009. So for a little over a year the new units were available for the Z but unless you got them early a massive inventory problem arised and you were waiting. To solve this GM went back to providing a refurb Eaton with a pinned solid, and eventually went back to a supposedly a new and improved Spring Isolator and stopped any further Solids from being installed. I have heard in some cases they will just replace the snout with a spring isolator but since I don't know anyone that has actually had it done I cannot confirm its true. They also refunded anyone who had already paid to have a solid put on and extended their warranty. Not sure I answered your question.
The question was poorly worded. You answered it and then some. It was presented from the perspective of someone who has the warranty, hasn't used it, and doesn't want to lose it because of mods. So more accurately, if it is now refurbished with another spring and some grease as opposed to a brand new one with the solid isolator, is the warranty worth preserving? Judgement call on my part.

Thanks to all for the input. Informed decisions are always easier to live with when the result is less than ideal.
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:50 AM   #18
MichiganMatt

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Excellent clarification. I purchased a used 2013 M6 last year and had the SC replaced by the dealer in the fall – vehicle had less than 1K miles when I purchased. I plan to keep the latest SC w/o mods through the extended warranty period. I think I’m good through summer 2022 and will reassess the situation afterward. Might go with a pulley upgrade and do a solid isolator post warranty. The question I have with this strategy: will a faulty isolator cause damage to the SC assembly if I wait 2+ years under the warranty? I like the extended warranty and do no want to void it, don’t want to cause long term damage in the mean time either. Love the car but this has been causing some stress since the purchase…what should I do ?

Last edited by MichiganMatt; 04-23-2020 at 10:09 AM.
MichiganMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:17 AM   #19
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMatt View Post
Excellent clarification. I purchased a used 2013 M6 last year and had the SC replaced by the dealer in the fall – vehicle had less than 1K miles when I purchased. I plan to keep the latest SC w/o mods through the extended warranty period. I think I’m good through summer 2022 and will reassess the situation afterward. Might go with a pulley upgrade and do a solid isolator post warranty. The question I have with this strategy: will a faulty isolator cause damage to the SC assembly if I wait 2+ years under the warranty? I like the extended warranty and do no want to void it, don’t want to cause long term damage in the mean time either. Love the car but this has been causing some stress since the purchase…what should I do ?
From all I've read on this forum in the last 2 yrs. there is no risk of damage from the source of the rattle. If you take the time to read all the old posts on the issue I believe you will find some peace and comfort. Don't let this issue detract from the pleasure of ownership. After all, 10-20 percent of the purchase price is gone forever. It's a great car, enjoy it!
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote