Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-31-2023, 07:55 AM   #29
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Relative easy install. I’ve done 3 sets without removing cradle. One of the best mods for 5th gens.
So you did this on your lift? Great idea. I might have to try that. Any suggestions, warnings or tricks I should know?
FasNuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:00 AM   #30
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Relative easy install. I’ve done 3 sets without removing cradle. One of the best mods for 5th gens.
Agree - not hard to do and no need to remove the cradle. Did mine on a lift as well, more room to work. But basically removed each subframe bolt, 1 at a time, and then reinstalled a few turns to get some room to work. Then remove 1 corner completely, insert an appropriately sized socked between the subframe and body, jack up the subframe till there is downward pressure on that bushing, apply heat to the outside of the bushing, and just keep applying pressure to drive out the bushing. Then clean up the inside of the subframe, install new bushings, and prosper!
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:14 AM   #31
FasNuf

Looks like you left the exhaust on?
Old 03-31-2023, 08:17 AM   #32
FasNuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Agree - not hard to do and no need to remove the cradle. Did mine on a lift as well, more room to work. But basically removed each subframe bolt, 1 at a time, and then reinstalled a few turns to get some room to work. Then remove 1 corner completely, insert an appropriately sized socked between the subframe and body, jack up the subframe till there is downward pressure on that bushing, apply heat to the outside of the bushing, and just keep applying pressure to drive out the bushing. Then clean up the inside of the subframe, install new bushings, and prosper!
So you used a jack instead of a stand and lift for the rear end?
Old 03-31-2023, 08:55 AM   #33
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
So you used a jack instead of a stand and lift for the rear end?
I raised the car on a lift, by the body, like you usually would. Then I used a floor jack with a post to apply upward pressure on the subframe where I need it to squeeze out the bushing. You want to be careful you don't apply so much pressure that you start picking the body up off the lift, but it's really pretty straight forward.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 09:55 AM   #34
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
When we did mine, we did it this same way. Pretty easy and it only took about 2 or so hours to complete!! Totally worth the effort.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:57 AM   #35
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Old 03-31-2023, 10:13 AM   #36
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Looks like you left the exhaust on?
Just took rubber hangers off to let exhaust freely move as needed to move as cradle moves a few inches when removing bushings.

Make sure bushing hole is completely clean of old bushing before trying to install solid bushing. Freezing solid bushings is of great help and make sure the solid bushing fully seat.

I removed anti-sway bar mount as I think it was in the way or needed to let it drop more. It’s been awhile since doing ZL1 so don’t exactly remember. But the process is super simple relative to all the other projects you’ve completed.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:30 AM   #37
FasNuf

Quote:
Just took rubber hangers off to let exhaust freely move as needed to move as cradle moves a few inches when removing bushings.

Make sure bushing hole is completely clean of old bushing before trying to install solid bushing. Freezing solid bushings is of great help and make sure the solid bushing fully seat.

I removed anti-sway bar mount as I think it was in the way or needed to let it drop more. It’s been awhile since doing ZL1 so don’t exactly remember. But the process is super simple relative to all the other projects you’ve completed.
Great, thanks. With the lift exhaust removal is painless, I just dont want to have to do more work if not needed. I'm more concerned with the car slipping off the jackstands than removing the bushings.
Old 03-31-2023, 05:16 PM   #38
FasNuf

Got the front one out. I disconnected the shock from the lower control arm since it's the part that attaches to the body. Sway bay is still intact. This FE5 suspension has a green plastic that separates the rubber from the cradle. It wouldn't press at all under the cars weight, I had to add heat to move any. Wasn't too bad once the car was up on stands. Man I hate jack stands!
Old 04-01-2023, 12:42 AM   #39
FasNuf

Ok, what a PITA. Got all 4 in and tight, but I'm going to finish torqing and do the final assembly tomorrow, I'm beat.
Always seems to take twice as long because of recording and I learned a ton. I could do the next one twice as fast I'm sure.
Thanks guys for the ideas and the lift suggestion, it made a huge difference not having to jack a handle a million times.
I did have to remove the sway bar to drop the rear mounts.

Tomorrow, the Hotchkis Chassis Brace.

Old 04-01-2023, 05:24 AM   #40
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
The upper control arm bushing would be a lot easier to change now while cradle is down a bit. The brace goes on easily.
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 08:00 AM   #41
FasNuf

Yea, I saw those and they looked pretty accessible, but I can always do them later now that I know how to use the lift this way. The lift is the best tool I bought for the shop by far.