Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
Who has New Retrofit Tops (22972088) with Failures? (Updated with pics)

I hate to start this thread, but need to keep track of Vert owners with the newest top (#22972088) installation that are experiencing problems? I know some of you, but there may be others.

My problems center around the rear quarter glass seal NOT staying in the channel. Mine actually blew out of the track while driving with the top up. The further questioning, my installer stated he also had problems with this when he cycled it, so he "glued/ATV" it in. They are currently talking with GM technical service to see what should be done.

There are exposed cables at the top of the quarter glass that are 1) poorly designed, or 2) routed incorrectly. Again the installer looked at other vert models that DID NOT have this exposure/Design. (Not sure on 2013). Also waiting on answer.

Hopefully we can keep this thread somewhat clean and only state problems even if they are duplicates of above; and then resolution if any. Keep the faith vert brotherhood.

Last edited by pony; 08-10-2012 at 10:34 PM.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
Again another halfwit was allowed to touch a vert. The weather strip actually has locking lugs built into it and the cables are wrong because the installer could not remove his head from his ass for 2 seconds to figure out the blatantly obvious routing for them. Why are none of these dealers sending techs to be trained? GM offers this traing do they not?
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
My dealer fixed mine right! Went through a giant rain storm 60+MPH winds and rain and not a drop in the car and the top looks awesome with about 4K miles on it!
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
Thyratron

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS Convert Black
I am just wondering does any one have a pic that they can point to were that cable is suppose to be run. I am going to have this retrofit top installed on my vert and If I can have a Pic of a good routing of these cables (the ones over the real quarter glass) I will bring it to my dealer so they do not make this mistake. Unless of course this is the new way of doing things. Thanks
Thyratron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyratron View Post
I am just wondering does any one have a pic that they can point to were that cable is suppose to be run. I am going to have this retrofit top installed on my vert and If I can have a Pic of a good routing of these cables (the ones over the real quarter glass) I will bring it to my dealer so they do not make this mistake. Unless of course this is the new way of doing things. Thanks
Take a picture of what you have now so you can compare it after the replacement
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
bulllett

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
spikess got it right on. THAT is definitely installer error. I mean they couldn't fix it properly so they "glued/atv'ed it in"? Geez why didn't they just use duct tape?

Fwiw, mine was installed by four "engineers" from GM. They were claiming it was one of the first ones installed with the newest design. Hence the reason that they had all those people taking pictures etc.

I believe that, for the most part, they got it right. About 1700 miles on her and doing well (I know that's not a problem on the newest design, but I though the input might help)
bulllett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
pony

Ok. Here are some close up picks of the wire routing and the trim/channel mating that are in question. How do these compare to factory tops and other top replacements?
Name:  Wire 1.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  Wire 2.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  Trim 1.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  Trim 2.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  98.4 KB
Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #8
cactuseater

Drives: .
I have the same exact problem, new retro-fit part number. Total failure. I refused it at the dealership Thursday. Pics in another post, didn't want to clutter up this thread.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 AM   #9
themoneypit

Drives: 2012 45th convertible ss ls3
just another epic fail on GMs part i guess... this top gets done on mine monday, and is their last chance before i pursue a buyback. im so fed up with the car, their "customer service" BS, and the complete inconvenience of owning it. i LOVE my vert, but its just not worth all this aggravation when theres so many other vert brands out there that dont fall apart within the first 5 months/3k miles.

they also have to fix the quarter panel when it goes in, since they made it worse when trying to fix the defective paint. basically if this car doesnt look brand new when i go to pick it up, im done all together with my vert and GM.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
New top installed by local trim shop. 3 days work. Looks flawless and fits perfect. Leaks, day 11 in shop with no resolution.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
After getting the Total Mechanical and canvas replacement from off the production line in March I have had no more issues with the Top. With enlarged water management installed at the same time no more leaks.
The Install was done by GM engineering flown in. I believe the trim shop could have done it with the correct instructions from GM.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
After getting the Total Mechanical and canvas replacement from off the production line in March I have had no more issues with the Top. With enlarged water management installed at the same time no more leaks.
The Install was done by GM engineering flown in. I believe the trim shop could have done it with the correct instructions from GM.
Another fine example of the lack of consistency across the board from GM on the repairs for these defective mechanisms. My car looks like the Three Stooges installed the last three tops....
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:09 AM   #13
pony

"3rd Time's the Charm"?????

I've been quiet on here as of late, patiently waiting to see how my top replacement will turn out. 1st visit I was optimistic, until the top came loose driving down the road and the cables were hanging out. The vert was serviced again with the molding being put back in and wires routed much better, BUT, now the windows won't go fully up, or get stuck once up, and one won't go in the proper channel because it is been pinched and damaged. "Mr. Obvious" tells me this is the result of the literal "hammering" that took place to get the fabric top back into the channel. We'll now wait and see what will take place to fix THIS issue; more hammering???

On a positive note, the top looks good without any rubs/pinches during this limited time of operation. The dealership has also been very understanding and has been working with me to correct these problems.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Another fine example of the lack of consistency across the board from GM on the repairs for these defective mechanisms. My car looks like the Three Stooges installed the last three tops....
Has the same place been doing the work each time?