Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Local Marketplace

Old 08-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
LBCamaro562

Drives: 2015 camaro ss ls3
Long vs short tube headers

What are your guys thoughts on long vs short headers? Is there any brands you guys recommend for 2015 camaro ss ls3
LBCamaro562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:14 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
ROFL..you just opened up a huge can o worms...on your first post! Please research the forum..TONS of info...for me boils down to whether you have to pass emissions(like me), mainly a street car with frequent trips to the track and H/F cats...

your best bet is to contact a tuner...I use dynoSteve at RDP..https://www.rdpstore.com/..IMHO ANY mod should be coupled with a tune, give them a holler ASAP. Good luck!

peace
Old 08-09-2018, 12:28 AM   #3
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
ROFL..you just opened up a huge can o worms...on your first post!
Exactly!

Long story short: long-tube headers add real performance gains, but are illegal in CA. There's limited evidence that shorties add any real power at all, but can be legal (not all of them are, they require CARB approval). If you are doing the work yourself, or are already doing work on the car and thinking about also swapping out the stock headers for shorties while they are readily accessible (so incremental labor would be limited) then swapping could make sense. But I doubt the cost of parts and labor to install shorties on their own is justified from the the limited power gain (if any).
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Long tube headers will always be better but being from California, I understand why the choice for shorty headers as I went that route as well. Shorty headers by themselves will make barely any power gain but if you go with a catless or high flow cat downpipe then you can make some power with a tune. The downpipes are not too bad to remove, so when smog time comes, just replace the downpipes with the stock cats and good to go.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
Jrizo

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS black
So I literally just switched my manifolds bact to stock from having long tubes and no cats. The sound is definitaly louder and meaner sounding with the long tubes but at least the car doesnt feel to slow or bad. Like stated the long tubes are gonna give you real gains but its all dependant how legal you wanna keep it
Jrizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:14 AM   #6
Coyote_SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
Long tube headers will always be better but being from California, I understand why the choice for shorty headers as I went that route as well. Shorty headers by themselves will make barely any power gain but if you go with a catless or high flow cat downpipe then you can make some power with a tune. The downpipes are not too bad to remove, so when smog time comes, just replace the downpipes with the stock cats and good to go.
I'm the same right now. I bought a used 2010 SS with 25k miles on it.
The car feels lazy. . It does have a CALTUNELSX sticker on it so im assuming the previous owner had the car tuned. I just know nothing about what tune they did on it.

Im also looking into getting it cammed and headers on it but I want to keep it smog complaint. Not because im afraid of it not passing when its that time of the year because you know being in Cali you can still pass smog without passing smog 😉 but what's holding me back is that if I ever get pulled over and they do the test on the car or if I get caught in a smog check point then there's no way out of it.
Coyote_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:36 AM   #7
0-120

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS LS3
Sure there is. Out of state tag.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Coyote_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-120 View Post
Sure there is. Out of state tag.
But then I'd have to get an address out of State
Old 11-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
Mrgwrnch
Pay attention to details

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Shorties.

Just curious if the shorty headers change the exhaust note with an NPP exhaust system? I here that long tubes with the NPP system sound amazing.
Mrgwrnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
HAMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_SS View Post
I'm the same right now. I bought a used 2010 SS with 25k miles on it.
The car feels lazy. . It does have a CALTUNELSX sticker on it so im assuming the previous owner had the car tuned. I just know nothing about what tune they did on it.

Im also looking into getting it cammed and headers on it but I want to keep it smog complaint. Not because im afraid of it not passing when its that time of the year because you know being in Cali you can still pass smog without passing smog 😉 but what's holding me back is that if I ever get pulled over and they do the test on the car or if I get caught in a smog check point then there's no way out of it.
There are CARB legal cams and heads now, and lots of other CARB legal mods that’ll add much more power than shorty headers will.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #11
Coyote_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
There are CARB legal cams and heads now, and lots of other CARB legal mods that’ll add much more power than shorty headers will.
I know there's carb legal cams but Everytime i tried looking for anything else like headers they usually ended up being not carb legal. Do you happen to know where is the best place to look?
Old 11-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #12
HAMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_SS View Post
I know there's carb legal cams but Everytime i tried looking for anything else like headers they usually ended up being not carb legal. Do you happen to know where is the best place to look?
Here you go:
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437263
Old 11-04-2018, 11:57 PM   #13
Coyote_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
Right on ! Thanks a lot man .
Old 11-05-2018, 12:12 AM   #14
krisprz2010camaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/Rs Transformers
Long vs short tube headers

Long tubes for sure. I’m in California too.
Vararam intake(tune model)
Kooks LT headers & cats delete
Corsa ZL1 3" exhaust
RedBarn Racing Tune
CMS Stage 3 Cam
AFR CNC ported heads
MSD Spark plug wires
LNC-2000 Launch controller
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
1le strut tower brace-TPIS spacers
Nick Williams 102mm throttle body
Fast lsxr 102 intake manifold