Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 PM   #1
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Question Some people don't recognize the Camaro..

Today I realized something funny, your average Adult can't identify our car, but kids can without any trouble. Went out for Pizza today, and was sitting at a table next to a window where I could keep an eye on my ride. Two women were sitting at the next table. Overheard one say to the other "Ooh, look at that blue sports car out there!" The other woman responds, "Oh, it's just one of those newer Mustangs, everyone seems to have one of those these days."

I looked at my family at the table and shook my head. Then I said, "Excuse me, are you ladies talking about that car out there in the parking lot? I pointed at my Camaro. The first woman responded, "Why yes, that's the one." I said, "I believe that's a Chevy isn't it? Isn't it Ford that makes the Mustang? Looks like that's one of those new Camaros." She looks embarrassed and says, "Ah, you're right, it IS a Camaro. Sure is a sweet looking car."

I picked up a slice of pizza and was about to bite into it when I then said, "Thanks, I'm glad you like it." She said, "That's yours?" I nodded.

On the way home, I was at a stoplight in town and two kids around the age of 10-12 were riding by on bicycles and the first kid screeched to a halt. The second kid then stopped too. The first kid says to the other, "Check it out man, it's one of those new Camaros!!" The second kid yells to me, "Hey Mister, NICE CAR!!" and flips me a thumbs up. The light turned green, but I risked angering the people behind me to make sure I gave the kid a thumbs up back and yelled to him, "Thanks buddy, maybe you'll get one someday too!"

Got home and gave the Camaro her weekly wash and wax. Was in the process of wiping off the excess dried wax when a neighbor family was out for a walk with their dog going by. One kid grabs his dad, and says "Look at that, that man has a COOL car!" The dad says, "Yeap, that's a Mustang." The kid scowls and says, "No it's not dad, can't you tell the difference between a Chevy and a Ford? That's the Camaro!" Then the youngest kid trailing behind say, "Yeah Dad, Camaros are MUCH COOLER." I just smiled and waved to them.

I guess that Transformers movie advertising was worth something for Chevrolet, as the kids these days can spot and name a Camaro without any trouble at all. I'm somewhat shocked at how many adults can't tell the difference between Chevrolet Camaro and Ford Mustang though. You'd think at least some of them would have owned one or the other in their youth and could tell the difference, but I suppose not.

Anyone else notice that kids can spot and name your car without hesitation, yet adults are clueless, despite the huge Chevrolet emblem on the grill and rear, and the word "Camaro" on each of the front fenders?
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
hubcap

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS
So true. An older lady was walking by as i was washing my camaro. She said "Wow! Thats a nice mustang".
hubcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
AMPM1678
AMPM95

Drives: 2010 RY Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I think thats one of the reasons chevy put the camaro emblem on the fenders
AMPM1678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcap View Post
So true. An older lady was walking by as i was washing my camaro. She said "Wow! Thats a nice mustang".
now that is a major insult
Old 08-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Staggering isn't it?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I've had the same thing happen, mine has been called a mustang many times... once someone called it a charger?? But I agree, kids can spot them a mile away.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
larmo1967

Drives: 2010 camaro rs ss2
had mine called both (but everyone likes it)
larmo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #8
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
joy read, got more compliments today. It's such a badass looking ride.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #9
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
I know the feeling. A lady once told me I had a nice Mustang even though it was my Charger! They look nothing alike!!!

What's worse is that recently someone asked me if the Camaro was the same car as before. Hmmm... Silver definitely does not look like Orange!!!
Attached Images

LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
sangerbanger58

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT/RS
i was at a stop light and had my windows down when a BMW came on the side of me with kids in the back seat they were yelling at there dad saying LOOK DAD IT A CAMARO IT'S A CAMARO
sangerbanger58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #11
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
I pulled up to my kids day care and a bunch of little kids (less than 5 years old) came running up to the fence and said, "Is that a Camaro?!" I told them it was, and one kid said," I'll give you a hundred dollars for it".

I blame Transformers... that's why all the kids know about it. My kid has watched that movie a hundred times already (both of them) even though it's a little more geared towards adults. He saw a yellow one at the dealership and said, "It's Bumblebee!" I told him my black one was Bumblebees cousin.

Needless to say, I think kids are becoming more in tune with what's going on than people believe. Adults now a days are just clueless, where kids pick up on a lot!

My kid has a special skill (one I have too but can't seem to get paid for)... he can watch 5 seconds of a movie... any movie he's seen at least once before... and know what it's called. It's freaky.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:01 AM   #12
Kycamaross
RED JEWEL inthe BLUEGRASS

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS, 01 S-10 Xtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
I pulled up to my kids day care and a bunch of little kids (less than 5 years old) came running up to the fence and said, "Is that a Camaro?!" I told them it was, and one kid said," I'll give you a hundred dollars for it".

I blame Transformers... that's why all the kids know about it. My kid has watched that movie a hundred times already (both of them) even though it's a little more geared towards adults. He saw a yellow one at the dealership and said, "It's Bumblebee!" I told him my black one was Bumblebees cousin.

Needless to say, I think kids are becoming more in tune with what's going on than people believe. Adults now a days are just clueless, where kids pick up on a lot!

My kid has a special skill (one I have too but can't seem to get paid for)... he can watch 5 seconds of a movie... any movie he's seen at least once before... and know what it's called. It's freaky.

So did you take the kid's Franklin?

And if your's is Bumblebee's cousin, I'd have to say it must be his EVIL cousin
Old 08-21-2010, 04:03 AM   #13
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycamaross View Post
So did you take the kid's Franklin?

And if your's is Bumblebee's cousin, I'd have to say it must be his EVIL cousin
Oh, evil for sure. Hehe... and no I had to pass on that very tempting offer. It's like my kid, they just don't have any understanding of the value of money and what's really worth what. My kid tells me all the time that he wants to go buy something with his allowance (which is like $6 a week). He doesn't get it that he could save it for a big toy, or get a small one. He thinks $6 will really get him far.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
A: Because most people are not into cars.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote