Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Six.Two SC

Drives: 2018 Summit White Camaro 1SS
Give the ZL1 cold weather....

.....and it turns into a beast!!! Mid 40's this morning here in Los Angeles. Let the oil warm up, IAT2 was in the 50's, then did some spirited driving. WOW, the car ran like a bat outta hell!! Big difference as opposed to when it's warm out and the engine is hot. The good and bad of a forced induction motor. FYI, my only mod is a CAI Inc.

Added: Diode Dynamics Black LED Sidemarkers, GM Dark Finish Tailights, GM ZL1 Black 3rd Brake Light, Black Plastidipped Bowties(front/rear), AFE Dry Drop In Filter, 12mm Spacers(front/rear)
Six.Two SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six.Two SC View Post
.....and it turns into a beast!!! Mid 40's this morning here in Los Angeles. Let the oil warm up, IAT2 was in the 50's, then did some spirited driving. WOW, the car ran like a bat outta hell!! Big difference as opposed to when it's warm out and the engine is hot. The good and bad of a forced induction motor. FYI, my only mod is a CAI Inc.
I hope you are not relying on the PTM to save the day in the cold. You will be bitten.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Six.Two SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
I hope you are not relying on the PTM to save the day in the cold. You will be bitten.
Now I am. Was ALMOST bitten about a week ago. Scary. Wasn't racing or anything like that. Spur of the moment. Needed to pass a car.......nailed it in 3rd(TC off), lost control, but thankfully regained control without hurting myself, anyone else or the car. Very cold that morning, ironically.

Added: Diode Dynamics Black LED Sidemarkers, GM Dark Finish Tailights, GM ZL1 Black 3rd Brake Light, Black Plastidipped Bowties(front/rear), AFE Dry Drop In Filter, 12mm Spacers(front/rear)

Last edited by Six.Two SC; 12-26-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
You never know when this car will break loose, the nannies aren't a guarantee!

Via lightning from a large Hammer.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #5
12 ZL1 #1725

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post

Via lightning from a large Hammer.
Very true!!!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Very true.

It's like having a deadly poisonous snake in your grasp. You think you have it under control but you NEVER should relax your grip.

That much power and torque will easily overwhelm the TC and PTM modes for a nano-second.

That is plenty of time to wake up dead if conditions are right. This kind of snake bites hard.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Engine loves the cold weather, but the tires do not.

The tires like hot weather but the engine does not.

Drat.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #8
SocalZL1

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six.Two SC View Post
Lol I thought the same this morning. My Z was pulling like a train getting on the 5. I almost took a sick day just to go cruising!
SocalZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #9
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I had the same experience two months ago when the temps hit the 40s here. Lots more power but the tires couldn't handle it...at least on the street. Car was scary powerful. Now consider Big Dave running 11.5 on stock tires in the same temps. Impressive.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 12-27-2014 at 07:25 AM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #10
JamesZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 Camaro, 2015 C7 A6 Z51
Funny you should metion this...I also am using the Torque Pro app and have been watching my IAT and IAT2 Temps (Usually 20 degrees between the two). Last night I was coming home from picking my wife up at work. She hasn't been in the ZL1 in a while and she was wanting me to nail it on the way home. I told her that since I added the upper pulley, the car breaks loose at almost any speed now and the stock tires can't handle the power anymore. She wouldn't let it go and wanted me to nail it. I told her to make sure her seat belt was securely fastened and I put it to the floor, the car went sideways (in touring mode) and then it chopped the power and straightened up. I looked over at her and she was about to crap in her pants. She said "Don't so that again." I'm getting new tires now..lmao
Roto-Fab CAI, Texas Speed Headers, Texas Speed X-Pipe, Texas Speed LS3-B Blower Cam, Metco 9.10" Crank Pulley, Metco 2.5 Upper Pulley, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Ported Throttle Body, Alky Control Methanol kit, E2 Catch Can, 610HP / 608 Torque.
JamesZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #11
Six.Two SC

What tires perform well in the cold and hot?

Old 12-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #12
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Pilot Super Sport A/S do pretty dang good. Even though they are a Ultra High Performance all season the stick allot better than most high performance summer tires in the warm.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #13
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I have the Pilot Super Sports and they are much more forgiving than the F1 Supercar G2 that are stock in the cold and wet. They don't slide around in the cold or take off on you if you hit a puddle like the Goodyears tend to do. This is my first month with the Michellins and aside from the looks of the sidewall being a little different, I'm really loving how they perform so far. Mid 30 degree weather and she handled like a piece of cake yesterday morning going to work.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Pilot Super Sport A/S do pretty dang good. Even though they are a Ultra High Performance all season the stick allot better than most high performance summer tires in the warm.
They are fantastic ..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote