Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
OEM vs GiroDisc Weight

I do not own a scale and would like to know if anyone knows the difference in weight between the OEM Ceramic and the GiroDisc? I can't see to pull up any threads with a comparison.

The large GiroDiscs are beautiful, but boy they are not what I'd call lightweight.
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Probably not a lot on this but there is a few FS threads with people selling Ceramic rotors and they show the weights.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
OEM ceramic rotors are frt~ 14lbs, rear~18lbs
Steel rotors this size are usually in the 40 lbs range. Not sure of the girodiscs but I am interested to know as well because this is a good option for a less expensive brake set up.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Steel rotors this size are usually in the 40 lbs range. Not sure of the girodiscs but I am interested to know as well because this is a good option for a less expensive brake set up.
Thanks -- I'll see about getting a scale and report some weights...
Old 03-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Jeff71

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #1251
I mean, how hard would it be for GD to list the weights??? They mention the pad profile changing to keep rotor weight in check, you know they know what they weigh, just list it.
Jeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
pzero

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28 #968 Silver Ice M
Good to know. I’ll tag this for future reference. That way I’ll have an option when time comes to replace ceramic rotors. (Ceramic rotors for all 4, you’ll end up with 2nd mortgage).
pzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:27 AM   #7
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
https://youtu.be/b0OlFFsFSSo

Granted these are a tick smaller than the Z disc out gives you a idea.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:00 AM   #8
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzero View Post
Good to know. I’ll tag this for future reference. That way I’ll have an option when time comes to replace ceramic rotors. (Ceramic rotors for all 4, you’ll end up with 2nd mortgage).
It’s not only the rotors but the pads are $1k each axle from dealer. Granted dealer.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #9
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
These ceramic rotor weights are with the hats. The girodisc weights on the YouTube was w/o hats. Just to clarify.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #10
Biergut

Okay - very unscientific weight measurement with an old bathroom scale my wife managed to pull out from under a sofa...

Front GiroDisc = 27 pounds
Rear GiroDisc = 22 pounds

Obviously, the exact weight will be somewhat close.

The rotors measure the same diameter as the factory OEM ceramics. (15.5 & 15) The hats look to be a bit larger in circumference and would explain the decrease in annulus/swept area.

I know I've said it before, but they are a beautiful product. Made in the USA and look like just great manufacturing.

Hope I get good life from them. (I expect that to be the case)

BG
Old 06-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #11
AustexaSS
Build Date - Dec 08, 2014

Drives: 2015 Z/28, #1007, Black A/C Stereo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
Okay - very unscientific weight measurement with an old bathroom scale my wife managed to pull out from under a sofa...

Front GiroDisc = 27 pounds
Rear GiroDisc = 22 pounds

Obviously, the exact weight will be somewhat close.

The rotors measure the same diameter as the factory OEM ceramics. (15.5 & 15) The hats look to be a bit larger in circumference and would explain the decrease in annulus/swept area.

I know I've said it before, but they are a beautiful product. Made in the USA and look like just great manufacturing.

Hope I get good life from them. (I expect that to be the case)

BG
Biergut!
Any feedback you can share on the Girodisc track performance thus far? Braking the same / equal to the CCM rotors or hopefully better? Can you notice the difference in weight when driving on track between the two different rotors? What brake pads did you decide to run front and rear for track days? Do you also run a second, less rotor wearing, set of pads during street use?
AustexaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #12
Biergut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustexaSS View Post
Biergut!
Any feedback you can share on the Girodisc track performance thus far? Braking the same / equal to the CCM rotors or hopefully better? Can you notice the difference in weight when driving on track between the two different rotors? What brake pads did you decide to run front and rear for track days? Do you also run a second, less rotor wearing, set of pads during street use?
AustexaSS,

Ha! Coincidence in timing -- I just got to install the rotors yesterday as we've been on somewhat of a lock down for events in the NE. I'll be (Finally!) getting back to the track in a couple of weeks and will let you know.

I decided on the Pagid RS19 (yellows) front and rear in hopes that the endurance pad will give me a few extra days life... I don't mind the little extra pressure one needs to apply. I very successfully used the RS19s on my GT3 and never had a complaint. The biggest concern will be whether I'll need to fab a brake cool kit for the hub. I'll try to see how things are without one for the first set of the Girodiscs.

One think that I'm happy about now... my next set of rotors will cost me $1200 all around!!

I'll let you know.