Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
There are a few options... you have to do some reading on the Zaino site to figure it all out.

At the very least, you need Z-2 and Z-6...... do at least 3 layers alternating between them.... ~$30-40 for both products.

... maybe add Z5 as the first step for a dark color car (like GCM) to help cover swirlies.

I went to the extreme..... I bought 2 kits, Z-kit2 and Z-TRIP...~$200
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:15 PM   #16
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
I ordered the Zaino too... and used it on a brand new gray Mustang... (my wifes).

It is what they say it is. It takes a long time, but it is worth it.

Do the claybar! I think you only use it once for the life of the car... as long as you keep it protected.

I did this... Dawn wash, claybar w/ the Dawn wash, dry, Z-aio, wipe, Z5, wipe, Z6, Z2, wipe, Z8, Z-CS, Z8.... and WOW!!

I would use 1 of the Z-18 bars on the Monte and the other on the Camaro. Save both of them, but use the one for the Monte on any other car so you can save the Camaro bar for the Camaro... just in case you ever have to have a panel repainted or rebuffed.
actually you only need to use the dawn soap before the claybar,after that use the Zaino car wash.

The dawn is used to remove any waxes or polishes that are already on the car.Plus if your using the Zaino car wash as the claybar lubricant.you almot dont need to use the carwash after the claybar,but i do anyway

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #17
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Geez, all the Z-# products just seem to all do the same thing.

I hope it comes with a really detailed instruction manual...

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
Bell040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
actually you only need to use the dawn soap before the claybar,after that use the Zaino car wash.
it said that the claybar had to be used with a lubricant... do you think the Zaino carwash would be better?

.... I noticed this too, but I already had the dawn mixed up in a bucket and figured that the dawn would lubricate just as well as the Z-7.

I didn't even dry before claying, I just treated the claying as a second wash step... but, I have never clayed before this past 2 weeks (when my Zaino came in), so I might be doing it wrong.

Last edited by Bell040; 03-09-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #19
Bell040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
Geez, all the Z-# products just seem to all do the same thing.

I hope it comes with a really detailed instruction manual...
actually, there is a pretty good instruction sheet...

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...de=APPLICATION

but its very open ended... I guess it is this way to let you know that you dont have to do "all" of the steps to come out looking awesome.

I am OCD, so I did all of them.

I started a spread sheet, adding each product as the instruction sheet called to use them so I would know what to order.

You can get all of the steps done with "Z-Kit1" and "Z-TRIP", except for the Z-PC. You only save about $5 by getting them in a kit, but they do add some applicator pads when you get the kit.

Z-PC is for a buffing machine to remove water marks and swirlies before adding the polish.... since the Camaro is going to be brand new, you shouldn't need this.....hopefully.

Last edited by Bell040; 03-04-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #20
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
I've never done this before, but it sounds nice and I think I'd like to do it when my 2SS/RS arrives. I have a few questions...

How often should you apply it? Someone mentioned only once?

Roughly how long will the whole procedure take? It looks like there are a lot of steps!

I will have the vinyl stripes on my car... should I still follow the instructions as normal? Or is there anything special I should do here?

I see a lot of different things mentioned (Z-stuff)... how do I know what I will need to buy? For a brand new car of course... I'd probably do this the same day or next day, depending on what time I pick the car up.

Thanks guys
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #21
Bell040

There were vinyl stripes on the side of the 2009 mustang that I did, and I just applied the stuff right over them with no problem and no residue on the edges.

It is a TON of steps. For me it was 2 days worth of steps because I am a perfectionist. But it was so worth it!! …. If you don’t apply this stuff right off the bat, you will have to machine-buff the water spots and spider webbing out of the clear coat.….

trust me…… I found out the hard way on a 2004 mustang (this was my “test-out-the-Zaino” car)…… I will have to remove all of the Zaino layers, “machine-buff” it until the water spots and spider-webs come out, and reapply all of the Zaino layers…. (actually I might just sell it as-is, ….. because only me and a handful of car polishing guru’s will even be able to tell the difference)…… but for the Camaro, I will do it in a matter of days after I get it…. There is no way it goes more than a week before I have Zaino on it to protect it.

The first few steps are only done once!!! ……. That is, as long as you keep the outer layer fresh with a spray called Z-8 (once or twice a month... it takes about 15 minutes to do this). Once or twice a year, you might need to add another coat of Z-2 polish to protect the layers underneath.

I am no expert at this, as I have only had my kits for 2 weeks, but I did a lot of reading about it.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #22
Bell040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post

I see a lot of different things mentioned (Z-stuff)... how do I know what I will need to buy? For a brand new car of course... .....

see the link a couple posts above (post #19)... the instructions involve a large handful of products.

If you are on a budget, you can downsize to only Z-2 and Z-6 and alternate them at least 3 times... If you do this, it will take Z-2 much longer to dry without the ZFX accelerator.... but you can save some cash.... (you will be out about ~$30)

If cash is not a problem and you want to go all out , get "Z-KIT1" and "Z-TRIP" from Zaino.com (~$160).... you will be alternating between products for each layer.

Or, you can do something in between.

btw, what color is you Camaro? (Z-5 is better than Z-2 for dark colored cars)
Old 03-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #23
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
So would the ZKIT-1 include everything needed for a new car? or would you recomend something else?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM   #24
Nexus6
More human than human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
it said that the clayber had to be used with a lubricant... do you think the Zaino carwash would be better?

.... I noticed this too, but I already had the dawn mixed up in a bucket and figured that the dawn would lubricate just as well as the Z-7.

I didn't even dry before claying, I just treated the claying as a second wash step... but, I have never clayed before this past 2 weeks (when my Zaino came in), so I might be doing it wrong.

they tell you that you can use the Zaino carwash as the claybar lubricant.The ONLY thing you should be doing with that Dawn is the VERY FIRST wash.after that put it back in the kitchen and never use it on the car again.My opinion is you should dry the car before the claybar treatment.sometimes people miss things during the wash and cannot tell until they are drying it.The last thing you want to do is hit a dirty spot with the claybar.Its like dropping it on the ground ,its no good anymore.A dirty spot will fill up with dirt and other contaniments and it will be like a piece of sandpaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
I've never done this before, but it sounds nice and I think I'd like to do it when my 2SS/RS arrives. I have a few questions...

How often should you apply it? Someone mentioned only once?

Roughly how long will the whole procedure take? It looks like there are a lot of steps!

I will have the vinyl stripes on my car... should I still follow the instructions as normal? Or is there anything special I should do here?

I see a lot of different things mentioned (Z-stuff)... how do I know what I will need to buy? For a brand new car of course... I'd probably do this the same day or next day, depending on what time I pick the car up.

Thanks guys
The very first time you do this ,Expect to spend the entire day,clear your schedule before hand.after you claybar and do the rest of it,you only need to wash it like a normal car with the Zaino wash.and if you want, you can add a coat of polish,or you can just rub it down with some gloss enhancer

If anyone plans on doing more than one coat at a time,you need to get the flash cure ZFX additive.Otherwise you are doing only 1 coat.In order to put a second or third coat on ,the first coat needs to cure.Depending on the product, cure time may take a few hours or a few days. ZFX is a Zaino Show Car Polish cross-linking and acceleration additive. It offers near-instant cure time.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #25
Nexus6
More human than human

this should cover most of it

THREE SIMPLE STEPS to obtain a true Zaino show car finish
Step 1—STRIP THE OLD WAX
Wash the car, going top to bottom, with Dawn UltraŽ liquid detergent.
Thoroughly rinse the car with a pressurized hose and spray nozzle. Make sure all detergent soap is gone. Leave Dawn in the kitchen since you'll never use it again on your car.
Dry completely using only clean, soft, absorbent towels.

Step 2—REMOVE CONTAMINANTS AND PREPARE THE SURFACE
Feel all paint surfaces. They should be glassy smooth. Contaminated rough areas are quickly minimized using Zaino Z-18 Claybar™ and a soap and water lubricant. Re-wash and dry the treated areas.
Look for hazy paint, swirl marks or fine scratches. Imperfections are reduced using Zaino's Z-PC Fusion™ paint cleaner and swirl remover.
Add a light coat of Z-AIO™ to all paint as the foundation and bonding agent. Remove with clean, soft towels.

Step 3—APPLY AND REMOVE ZAINO POLISH*
CHOOSE THE RIGHT ZAINO POLISH FOR YOUR VEHICLE'S PAINT
Z-2 PRO™ Show Car Polish is for paint with a clear coat finish—virtually all modern cars.
Z-3™ Show Car Polish is for paint without a clear coat—vintage cars, special aftermarket paint, etc.
Z-5 PRO™ Show Car Polish is just like Z-2, but helps hide swirls and micro scratches in dark color paint.
Spray a little Z-6 Gloss Enhancer™ on your Zaino Polish Applicator. Apply Zaino polish to the paint. Use up/down motions on vertical surfaces, and front/rear (front to back of car) motions on horizontal.
Allow the polish to dry and chemically bond on the entire car for at least fifteen minutes. To test for dry, wipe an area with a finger. Dry polish is slightly powdery and comes off with one stroke, revealing clear dry paint underneath. Low temperature or high humidity can increase drying time up to two to three hours. Remove the dried polish using high quality towels.
When all polish is removed, spray a light coat of Z-6 Gloss Enhancer. Immediately buff dry.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

mind.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #26
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
probably been answered already but for the clay bar you can use the zaino car wash as a lubricant, in fact, Mr. Zaino himself says to use it! thanks for the advise and those pictures are absolutely killer, I plan on posting pics of the Camaro after it's Zaino'ed and I'll be adding pictures of the montecarlo after I do it this weekend... As far as the clay bars go, Thanks so much for the advise on using one for the Monte and one for the Camaro....

I will defiantly do that. also, it's probably been answered already, but the Zaino kit number one for 89.00 or so on their site has EVERYTHING you need for a new car.. and right now you can save 10.00 on their Bucket if you order it with the kit,

I recommend getting the bucket because it's really good and has a sift mechanism on the bottom that doesn't allow settled dirt to get back up into the water you're using to wash you car with.

Again, great pictures I look forward to posting pics of the Monte after it's done this weekend!
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #27
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfriday2 View Post
probably been answered already but for the clay bar you can use the zaino car wash as a lubricant, in fact, Mr. Zaino himself says to use it! thanks for the advise and those pictures are absolutely killer, I plan on posting pics of the Camaro after it's Zaino'ed and I'll be adding pictures of the montecarlo after I do it this weekend... As far as the clay bars go, Thanks so much for the advise on using one for the Monte and one for the Camaro....

I will defiantly do that. also, it's probably been answered already, but the Zaino kit number one for 89.00 or so on their site has EVERYTHING you need for a new car.. and right now you can save 10.00 on their Bucket if you order it with the kit,

I recommend getting the bucket because it's really good and has a sift mechanism on the bottom that doesn't allow settled dirt to get back up into the water you're using to wash you car with.

Again, great pictures I look forward to posting pics of the Monte after it's done this weekend!
The first time you clay bar a car, you should use dawn as the lubricant. It helps remove any wax that just washing missed.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #28
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Thumbs up

awesome that stuff really works well. Can I buy Zaino at walmart, autozone?

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote