Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
R3VoLuTioN

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Synergy
Best value coilover for street and strip

I've been researching coilovers as a replacement for my Pfadt lowering springs. I want something that can be dialed in for drag use but is also friendly on the street.

So far i've found the following offerings:

Ridetech - The TQ series seems to be a good middle price point option.

BC Racing - Have heard these aren't the easiest to adjust. Questioning quality at the price.

Pfadt - A bit on the pricey side

Pedders - I have heard of quality/cartridge leak issues with these

Any that I am missing and should consider? anyone have any experience to share? Probably targeting to stay under $3k.
R3VoLuTioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I've had BC Racing Type BR for 7 years. Let my results below speak for themselves.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
R3VoLuTioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
I've had BC Racing Type BR for 7 years. Let my results below speak for themselves.
Good to know. How's the access to the adjusters?
Old 04-02-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3VoLuTioN View Post
Good to know. How's the access to the adjusters?

I can adjust the damping on all 4 corners in a matter of seconds, get the extenders for the rears. Single adjustable. Ride height requires a couple included tools and requires lifting the car and removing the wheels/ties.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
byrds8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
BC Racing is what is also on my car also. I want to say the original owner told me he put them on shortly after purchasing the car. Adjusting the height is only a pain if debris get in the threads. Other than that, my girl has slightly over 80K miles on her with no issues on the coil overs. I haven't played with the other adjustments really. I just went with what someone said on here and let it be.
2013 Camaro SS/RS, Stainless Power long tube headers with HF's, Air Raid CAI, Solo Mach XL cat back, BC Racing coil overs, Elite Engineering catch can, Ferrada Forge 8 Wheels, Windows tinted at 20%, Tuned by Dyno Steve.
byrds8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #6
R3VoLuTioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrds8 View Post
BC Racing is what is also on my car also. I want to say the original owner told me he put them on shortly after purchasing the car. Adjusting the height is only a pain if debris get in the threads. Other than that, my girl has slightly over 80K miles on her with no issues on the coil overs. I haven't played with the other adjustments really. I just went with what someone said on here and let it be.

Thanks for the response and info! Didn't expect to hear so much confidence in BC.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Thanks for the response and info! Didn't expect to hear so much confidence in BC.
A friend has used bc on his car. At least 90000 miles he has put on them.They are worn out, as you would expect. Normal bounce at times on certain roads. He just stiffens settings some to compensate, like you would do on any coilover. He likes the ride, or doesn’t complain about it other then rear end bounce. You should do a search, there is a lot of feedback from people on here.
And he is very fast in autocross though his car is well setup.

I use Ridetechs. Mainly as I was tired of the poor ride and control with Pedders supercars, to stiff or to bouncy and soft, same issues as bc. Ridetechs have better spring rates for this car as to ride and control balance. It seems bc and Pedders front springs are to stiff for ride, but good for road courses. Also Ridetechs have a true coilover setup in rear, the bc uses the gm spring shape and mount.The shocks do a much better job of control of bumps and big dips then peddlers, which five years ago were supposed to be the best you could get. Ride quality is good. Autocross they work great!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #8
R3VoLuTioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
A friend has used bc on his car. At least 90000 miles he has put on them.They are worn out, as you would expect. Normal bounce at times on certain roads. He just stiffens settings some to compensate, like you would do on any coilover. He likes the ride, or doesn’t complain about it other then rear end bounce. You should do a search, there is a lot of feedback from people on here.
And he is very fast in autocross though his car is well setup.

I use Ridetechs. Mainly as I was tired of the poor ride and control with Pedders supercars, to stiff or to bouncy and soft, same issues as bc. Ridetechs have better spring rates for this car as to ride and control balance. It seems bc and Pedders front springs are to stiff for ride, but good for road courses. Also Ridetechs have a true coilover setup in rear, the bc uses the gm spring shape and mount.The shocks do a much better job of control of bumps and big dips then peddlers, which five years ago were supposed to be the best you could get. Ride quality is good. Autocross they work great!

Are yours the Ridetech TQ series? I like the idea that they are assembled locally in the USA and made by Fox racing, a very reputable name. Where did you buy them? Did you feel a weight difference? I think they may be aluminum versus BC steel. thanks!
Old 04-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
Keoni068

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
I’ve been very happy with my BC Racing Coilovers! Very nice ride and a nice low stance.
Attached Images

Last edited by Keoni068; 04-13-2020 at 11:29 PM.
Keoni068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #10
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Are yours the Ridetech TQ series? I like the idea that they are assembled locally in the USA and made by Fox racing, a very reputable name. Where did you buy them? Did you feel a weight difference? I think they may be aluminum versus BC steel. thanks!
Yes, the tq’s. Fox is one if the best you can get. And a one million mile warranty.
I bought them from Jordan at JDP. He does all my work setting up my car for autocross and street . Thing is he will set you up with the spring rate needed for your use as Ridetech has a lot of rates they can set you up with. And the springs are made by hyperco, one of the best.I did 10% stiffer springs for autocross but also a good street ride.

As to weight, yes around 30 lbs total loss. Use aluminum in construction
Old 04-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #11
R3VoLuTioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keoni068 View Post
I’ve been very happy with my BC Racing Coilovers! Very nice ride and a nice low stance.
That's a great stance. Looks even better in the front than my drop springs!
Old 04-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #12
R3VoLuTioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Yes, the tq’s. Fox is one if the best you can get. And a one million mile warranty.
I bought them from Jordan at JDP. He does all my work setting up my car for autocross and street . Thing is he will set you up with the spring rate needed for your use as Ridetech has a lot of rates they can set you up with. And the springs are made by hyperco, one of the best.I did 10% stiffer springs for autocross but also a good street ride.

As to weight, yes around 30 lbs total loss. Use aluminum in construction
Excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to share. I may inquire with JDP. Looking for a more drag focused setup with regards to spring rate and maybe they can help.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:43 PM   #13
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Excellent information. Thanks for taking the time to share. I may inquire with JDP. Looking for a more drag focused setup with regards to spring rate and maybe they can help.
They can help. Ridetech May have a drag setup but not sure. If spring rates jdp says to use are outside the shock valving, Ridetech will valvetrain accordingly.

Or just soften front shocks to max and stiffen rear to max for weight transfer.