Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #15
Jayjellyfish212

 
Jayjellyfish212's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Nice pass......get a 100 shot.
He could no doubt but he’s trying to squeeze best time slips without any forced inductions.

He is certainly killing it out there at what he is trying to do by staying all natural aspirated for sure. A little weight reduction and 17” drag pack on his car should help him crush his own PB for sure.
__________________
Car mods: never enough!
Jayjellyfish212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #16
Nb1081
 
Drives: 10 2ss/rs
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Shelby ny
Posts: 314
Small battery muffler delete gut the trunk and lose the seats should probably get you under 4000 and a cpl tenths
__________________
10 2ss ls3 sw long tubes,cai intake,phastek scoop,se3" exhaust,elite e2, bw stg2tb,sctx4 dynosteve tune,tick billet master,mgw retro shifter,racestars 17 front 18 rear purchased 7/2018 completly stock
Nb1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #17
Chris49066SS
 
Chris49066SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS L99
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: TN
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjellyfish212 View Post
He could no doubt but he’s trying to squeeze best time slips without any forced inductions.

He is certainly killing it out there at what he is trying to do by staying all natural aspirated for sure. A little weight reduction and 17” drag pack on his car should help him crush his own PB for sure.
As long as he doesn't crush another set of gears.. sorry Andrew, had to say it. Go get em, bro!
__________________
GPI SS4 Cam and some other stuff
11.320 @ 120.34mph
Build thread - www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555371
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #18
acammer
Back in the game
 
acammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Weedsport, NY
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
As long as he doesn't crush another set of gears.. sorry Andrew, had to say it. Go get em, bro!
No kidding. These Yukon's seem ok after the trip, but they are a little noisier now. I'm just gonna stop worrying about it and send it till it's an issue again. Then it might be time for a Hammerhead and call it a done forever.

I think seats out and 17" wheels with 26" tires would be over 200lbs off the car, under 4000lbs race weight, and it might see mid-low 11s. I think I can drive it there if the setup will do it. That's probably about as far as I'll take it on motor. I may just leave it alone, throw on an ESS Centrifugal, and do it the "easy" way.

If you guys are interested here is a rapid-fire of all the launches from that day. If you see something I'm leaving on the table, let me know!

__________________
2011 2SS SGM - CAI, PTB, Rod-Mod and ported intake, GPI SS3 cam, AR LTs 1.875", X-pipe, high flow cats, cutouts behind the axle. 25% UPD, 169*F stat, EE catch can, Ideal Garage clutch master, seperate reservoir, Tick-Shift billet throwout support, Yukon 4.10 gears, TruTrac Differential, LPW Differential Cover, BMR Pro diff bushings, Pegasus Solid rear sub-frame bushings. 497rwhp. 11.86@117
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #19
Chris49066SS
 
Chris49066SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS L99
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: TN
Posts: 680
Do you think a 17" is enough tire for the 4.56 or whatever is in the Hammerhead? And I wonder how the Hammerhead would like boost. But you and I have talked at length on those and you already have the answers. You're going in the right direction, do some weight reduction next though, smaller diameter wheels, bias-plys
__________________
GPI SS4 Cam and some other stuff
11.320 @ 120.34mph
Build thread - www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555371
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #20
acammer
Back in the game
 
acammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Weedsport, NY
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Do you think a 17" is enough tire for the 4.56 or whatever is in the Hammerhead? And I wonder how the Hammerhead would like boost. But you and I have talked at length on those and you already have the answers. You're going in the right direction, do some weight reduction next though, smaller diameter wheels, bias-plys
So - in a perfect world, I wouldn't have rebuilt 3 SS diffs, and just pumped that money into a Hammerhead with a 4.56 in the first place. Then I could run 28-29" tires and not look like a goof. You can get the Hammerhead in a bunch of different ratios - I'd have to think very carefully about my long term plans so I didn't end up having to have that re-gearing at some point.

From a strength perspective the Hammerhead (and the driveshaft and axles you buy with it) should be nice and tough and no-longer a breakage issue, even with big power. I wonder what I could get for a mint SS diff with 4.10s, trutrac, and LPW cover. Maybe $1400 - maybe not even that much. Not enough to matter this year!
__________________
2011 2SS SGM - CAI, PTB, Rod-Mod and ported intake, GPI SS3 cam, AR LTs 1.875", X-pipe, high flow cats, cutouts behind the axle. 25% UPD, 169*F stat, EE catch can, Ideal Garage clutch master, seperate reservoir, Tick-Shift billet throwout support, Yukon 4.10 gears, TruTrac Differential, LPW Differential Cover, BMR Pro diff bushings, Pegasus Solid rear sub-frame bushings. 497rwhp. 11.86@117
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #21
Chris49066SS
 
Chris49066SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS L99
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: TN
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
So - in a perfect world, I wouldn't have rebuilt 3 SS diffs, and just pumped that money into a Hammerhead with a 4.56 in the first place. Then I could run 28-29" tires and not look like a goof. You can get the Hammerhead in a bunch of different ratios - I'd have to think very carefully about my long term plans so I didn't end up having to have that re-gearing at some point.

From a strength perspective the Hammerhead (and the driveshaft and axles you buy with it) should be nice and tough and no-longer a breakage issue, even with big power. I wonder what I could get for a mint SS diff with 4.10s, trutrac, and LPW cover. Maybe $1400 - maybe not even that much. Not enough to matter this year!
Are you staying M6? Did the Hammerhead come with a locker? If I hadn't just bought the LOD intake and some headers and trunnions, I'd have given you 1400 for the 4.10, trutrac, and cover in a minute.
__________________
GPI SS4 Cam and some other stuff
11.320 @ 120.34mph
Build thread - www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555371
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:05 PM   #22
acammer
Back in the game
 
acammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Weedsport, NY
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Are you staying M6? Did the Hammerhead come with a locker? If I hadn't just bought the LOD intake and some headers and trunnions, I'd have given you 1400 for the 4.10, trutrac, and cover in a minute.
The S60 looks like a pretty good option too. $3900 for the unit itself (gears, posi) then probably another $2k+ for axles and a driveshaft. Just no cheap options for a good tough rear for these cars.

http://www.strangeengineering.net/wp...REbrochure.pdf

I'm gonna put Yukon's warranty to the test!
__________________
2011 2SS SGM - CAI, PTB, Rod-Mod and ported intake, GPI SS3 cam, AR LTs 1.875", X-pipe, high flow cats, cutouts behind the axle. 25% UPD, 169*F stat, EE catch can, Ideal Garage clutch master, seperate reservoir, Tick-Shift billet throwout support, Yukon 4.10 gears, TruTrac Differential, LPW Differential Cover, BMR Pro diff bushings, Pegasus Solid rear sub-frame bushings. 497rwhp. 11.86@117
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:12 PM   #23
Chris49066SS
 
Chris49066SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS L99
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: TN
Posts: 680
Well you're definitely dialing in that launch. My idea is to go TH400 and 1 piece driveshaft and wait for something to break out back. Could be interesting!
__________________
GPI SS4 Cam and some other stuff
11.320 @ 120.34mph
Build thread - www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555371
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:00 AM   #24
Nb1081
 
Drives: 10 2ss/rs
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Shelby ny
Posts: 314
Mosher solid 9" probably strongest rear setup you can get unless you wanna keep the IRS and its right on par with everyone on pricing or backhalf lol some 5.13s on a 33 prob get you around 4.56
__________________
10 2ss ls3 sw long tubes,cai intake,phastek scoop,se3" exhaust,elite e2, bw stg2tb,sctx4 dynosteve tune,tick billet master,mgw retro shifter,racestars 17 front 18 rear purchased 7/2018 completly stock
Nb1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #25
acammer
Back in the game
 
acammer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Weedsport, NY
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nb1081 View Post
Mosher solid 9" probably strongest rear setup you can get unless you wanna keep the IRS and its right on par with everyone on pricing or backhalf lol some 5.13s on a 33 prob get you around 4.56
Yea - it's just a all around car, it's pretty unlikely I'd ever swap to a solid rear axle. The IRS itself works pretty good, it's the drive-line parts that work with it that are less than desirable.
__________________
2011 2SS SGM - CAI, PTB, Rod-Mod and ported intake, GPI SS3 cam, AR LTs 1.875", X-pipe, high flow cats, cutouts behind the axle. 25% UPD, 169*F stat, EE catch can, Ideal Garage clutch master, seperate reservoir, Tick-Shift billet throwout support, Yukon 4.10 gears, TruTrac Differential, LPW Differential Cover, BMR Pro diff bushings, Pegasus Solid rear sub-frame bushings. 497rwhp. 11.86@117
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #26
Joe M 2012 2SS

 
Joe M 2012 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Shelby NC
Posts: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Yea - it's just a all around car, it's pretty unlikely I'd ever swap to a solid rear axle. The IRS itself works pretty good, it's the drive-line parts that work with it that are less than desirable.
Agreed. The DSS 1000hp axles I put in are holding up great, the stock axles are usually the first thing to go for most of us.

I figure my driveshaft will be next, but I'm running it till it goes.
__________________


Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles..... Tuned via SCTX4 by Dynosteve at RDP.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #27
Chris49066SS
 
Chris49066SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS L99
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: TN
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Agreed. The DSS 1000hp axles I put in are holding up great, the stock axles are usually the first thing to go for most of us.

I figure my driveshaft will be next, but I'm running it till it goes.
Think of them like big fuses
__________________
GPI SS4 Cam and some other stuff
11.320 @ 120.34mph
Build thread - www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=555371
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #28
zz430camaro

 
zz430camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1LE
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,126
Lightweight drag wheels and smaller diameter tires and you are mid 11's easy. I knew that car was way faster than low 12's.


4160 with you in it?
__________________
2015 1LE, TSP 225/236 113+3, VMAX Throttle Body, CAI with race scoop, GPI Ported Intake, Land Speed Stage 2 Heads, 1-7/8 headers, NPP exhaust, 25% Fluidampr, LT1-S Monster Clutch, 485 RWHP & 444 TQ
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.