Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
BWilsonSr

Drives: 2015 Z/28 (build #619; black)
Anyone know if the PAC radio kit works on the Z/28?

I'm thinking of upgrading the stereo in the Z, but not sure if the PAC conversion kit for double din stereos will work since the Z doesn't have everything the regular camaro's have stereos wise.

The plan is to add a double din stereo with android auto and apple carplay with the PAC kit. Later on down the road I may add better speakers, but that isn't my primary concern. I just mainly want to add a stereo that supports android and iphone so I can put navigation and everything through there.

This is the kit I'm talking about: This is an example: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...VIshoCCdHw_wcB

For the life of me I also can't find if the thing will support a 7" screen...
BWilsonSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #00048
Seen it on an AGM z/28 for sale not too long ago
'15 Z/28 #00048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
'17 Ridgeline RTL-T | AWD | White | Ebony | 20" MDX Advance wheels
'16 CR-V EX-L Navi | AWD | White | Ebony

https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Chevy2tehBone

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Here is what I did:

"I did the Alpine iLX-207 with USB plug in and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. It's an amazing head unit and we liked it enough to put it in our truck.

We used this dash and wiring kit to make it work: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z4yvYN...xoCiH4QAvD_BwE

My analog controls showed wear when I bought the car, so this eliminated those and I like the better range of options with the above kit. I also wanted to integrate a back up camera because it's so difficult to gauge distance out of the rear of the car. "

Honestly, the speakers are way more than sufficient. I rarely have my volume with Android Auto and Pandora going up past 5 when driving. 9 becomes uncomfortable, and max is like 30. And I love the digital controls as opposed to the OEM analog. Barely any pressure is needed and having automatic defrost that changes it to full heat blast and back to normal with a push of a button is excellent.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
BWilsonSr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2tehBone View Post
Here is what I did:

"I did the Alpine iLX-207 with USB plug in and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay. It's an amazing head unit and we liked it enough to put it in our truck.

We used this dash and wiring kit to make it work: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Z4yvYN...xoCiH4QAvD_BwE

My analog controls showed wear when I bought the car, so this eliminated those and I like the better range of options with the above kit. I also wanted to integrate a back up camera because it's so difficult to gauge distance out of the rear of the car. "

Honestly, the speakers are way more than sufficient. I rarely have my volume with Android Auto and Pandora going up past 5 when driving. 9 becomes uncomfortable, and max is like 30.

I also plan on doing the rear backup camera. I was looking at wireless ones, but it seems like it would make more sense to just get everything through the radio, lest I occupy my storage tray with a dedicated small screen just for the backup camera. Its actually one of the main reasons I started looking at doing the upgrade.
The other reason is that the dealership working on my Z offered me a brand new 2019 C7 vette for a damn good price, almost too good to pass up (I honestly seriously seriously considered it), and it reminded me that with how much I love my Z, I do kind of miss android auto/apple carplay (depending on which phone im using at the time, although, apple sucks! lol) and having a more useful radio.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Chevy2tehBone

I was sick and tired of following my phone for map-needs during trips, and obviously all the other things. The above stuff I linked has served me well for over 1.5 years now. I just had a generic back up camera put in with it. Wires run along the inside of the trunk, through the bottom area of the back seat and under the sill plates to the radio. Easy-peazy. Plus, I was planning for the wing in the long run and knew that it would be even more difficult to back up properly than it is now.... and I always back into spaces with this car.

Doing the mix above is worth it. The head unit is a little pricey, but it's worth every dime. The EQ on it is so varied that it makes the crappy 3 channel OEM one look like a toy. I am 100% satisfied and recommend it to everyone. We put the usb port under it in the little storage tray so that it is hidden. If you give me about 2 hours, I'll take some pics for you.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
Chevy2tehBone

Sorry it took a day. Got sidetracked with family stuff.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
cdry82

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
PAC Conversion Kit

To answer your question, yes. It workes great. I have had it in my car(Factory AC/Speakers) for about 2 years now. I also replaced the four speakers as well as part of the job.

The instruction aren't great, but take your time and you will get through them.

I also added a front an read camera as part of the upgrade set. Pretty nice for pulling into parking spots.

Best of luck!
cdry82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #8
FLOW TIE

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #898
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdry82 View Post
To answer your question, yes. It workes great. I have had it in my car(Factory AC/Speakers) for about 2 years now. I also replaced the four speakers as well as part of the job.

The instruction aren't great, but take your time and you will get through them.

I also added a front an read camera as part of the upgrade set. Pretty nice for pulling into parking spots.

Best of luck!
Did you go w plug and play speakers or have to do a bunch of splicing?
FLOW TIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #9
BWilsonSr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2tehBone View Post
Sorry it took a day. Got sidetracked with family stuff.
that looks slick. I thought about that one as well, but didn't know if I'd like the screens. I think it looks great in your pics though.