Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #29
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTopless View Post
I got it now looking at the design. I take it the spring is there to take the load off the isolator because the isolator is not thick enough and could fracture under load. This seems to be the case since the solid isolators look to be almost twice as thick as the stock ones.
So at 25K does one suggest I open it up and change out or just wait until it goes south and have replaced under warranty.
I replaced mine with only 3k on my car.

Gave me a reason to do a 2.5 pulley & tune
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #30
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTopless View Post
I got it now looking at the design. I take it the spring is there to take the load off the isolator because the isolator is not thick enough and could fracture under load. This seems to be the case since the solid isolators look to be almost twice as thick as the stock ones.
So at 25K does one suggest I open it up and change out or just wait until it goes south and have replaced under warranty.
The spring isolator manages the slack going to the rotors as you apply power.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #31
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
It's an Eaton design not a gm one and is prevalent in the Eaton supercharger line across gm, mercedes, dodge etc. Mostly identified as a "preload spring" its supposed to buffer against rpm changes both on and off throttle and protect the rotors / rotor gear lash.

Although seemingly to protect the rotor pack in almost every line / application its a weak point and there is a solid replacement option(except Merc SLK You are Fd).

The new version of the solid coupler (tan nodule looking) is a more plyable material which seems to wear better than the first flat solids which are a brittle light weight almost bakelite plastic.

In my 14 had the solid white one (which can make noise as the holes enlarge and changed it out when the snout was off for the tan Lingenfelter / metco Tan one ( who knows who really manufactures it.).
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote