Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #435
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Actually, I fully expect for GM to offer LT1 in Camaro, LT2 in Corvette for at least the first year, especially if they are foundationally the same. The differences would all be absorbed in the engine plant(s) and can be as simple as slightly different camshaft or slightly different heads.

Engine RPO codes are tricky. Today trucks have 2 RPOs for 5.3L and 2 RPOs for 6.2L and GM has no issues with mixing and matching those. The difference is that some have AFM and some have DFM. The differences between LT1 and LT2 are likely to be even less. Also GM has several plants building the Small Block V engines. Tonawanda, St. Catharines, Spring Hill, Silao, and even Bowling Green for the customer involved builds.

It would be simple to have LT1 built in some locations and LT2 in others to avoid confusion and build complexity in the plant. Even though it might be simple to simply place the LT2 in Camaro at the same time as in Corvette, it is probably more profitable to do it at least a year, and probably even a generation later. At this point it’s more about revenue than it is about cost.
You are correct, it's easy to have two separate engines.

However, the LT1 volume, and time on the tools required manufacture the engine, would drop in half. So instead of 1 engine at 40,000 units, I get 1 engine and at 20,000 and another at 20,000. Based on modularity, they could easily build the two on the same line. With current manufacturing processes, it's easy to build that way. I'm merely suggesting at some point, you don't want two high performance V8 engines.

I don't disagree, they likely won't launch them at the same time, and may simply wait until a Gen7 to introduce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
The LT2 could be as big of a change as the LS3 was to the LT1 I have not seen anything official that states one way or the other. So only time will tell and right now it’s all a guessing game.

I think most here will agree the LT2 will find its way into the Camaro but I’m still thinking it will be in the next GEN. Also GM had no problem making the LS3 and LT1 until Camaro moved from the GEN5 until the GEN6 came out.. right now only GM
Yes and they even maintained LS3 production for the SS Sedan through 2017. Would love to have seen that move to the LT1.

LT1 to LT2, as you point out since we know nothing about it, could be a mouse or a house. If it's the same block architecture, more like a mouse. If it's an all new block, etc., then a big house.

As always, time will tell.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #436
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You are correct, it's easy to have two separate engines.

However, the LT1 volume, and time on the tools required manufacture the engine, would drop in half. So instead of 1 engine at 40,000 units, I get 1 engine and at 20,000 and another at 20,000. Based on modularity, they could easily build the two on the same line. With current manufacturing processes, it's easy to build that way. I'm merely suggesting at some point, you don't want two high performance V8 engines.

I don't disagree, they likely won't launch them at the same time, and may simply wait until a Gen7 to introduce it.

Yes and they even maintained LS3 production for the SS Sedan through 2017. Would love to have seen that move to the LT1.

LT1 to LT2, as you point out since we know nothing about it, could be a mouse or a house. If it's the same block architecture, more like a mouse. If it's an all new block, etc., then a big house.

As always, time will tell.
GM just spent a chunk of money to increase V8 production at Spring Hill. The official line is addition of DFM capable engines, but I think some of that is for LT2. I would also expect they will add LT2 to BG. LT1 is already built at Tonawanda and that tooling is already bought and paid for and coexists with tooling for LT4 and for the truck V8s built there. There’s another plant that also already builds LT1, I just don’t remember which one that is. The addition of 1LT LT1 might also be way of replacing some of the Corvette LT1 volume that moves to LT2. That’s a stretch, though, since that would imply 20 - 30,000 additional LT1, but I would not be surprised if some additional LT1 volume was a factor in the timing of LT1 model introduction.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 AM   #437
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #438
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I’m also doubtful that LT2, if announced in July is the basis for all engines the C8 will see. It just seems we will also see a line of OHC engines that take the C8 to a whole new level. So I don’t think the question is whether the Camaro sees whatever the C8 base engine is, it likely will, it’s just a matter of when. The question is does the Camaro ever see a DOHC V8? Or the rumored 1,000 HP C8 drivetrain?
Old 05-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #439
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I’d guess GM will likey just overlap old/new production for LT1/LT2 like they have consistently done in the past when introducing a new engine in Corvette

- 1992 (L98/LT1) (Camaro/Corvette)
- 1997 (LT1/LS1) (Camaro/Corvette)
- 2008-09 (LS2/LS3) (TBSS/Corvette)
- 2014-15 (LS3/LT1) (Camaro/Corvette)
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #440
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
My guesses from what I've seen. Yes, DOHC on the way for Camaro. 1,000HP setup stock is doubtful, unless they do a special edition late towards the end of the 7th gen.

I see no reason for a DOHC eng. for the Camaro. It will be bigger and top heavy with less torque.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #441
DaveH

Drives: 2019 2SS
Smile Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLem619 View Post
GM just did the minimum to satisfy all you sensitive types, who were up in arms over how horrible the 19's looked.

They literally painted a 3 foot section and moved an emblem 3 inches. That's all it took and now the haters are posting all over the place "yippee, Thank you GM, Looks so much better, etc...". LOL

All the whining and "major" changes, and the 2019 is still the most aggressive looking SS made.

At least now, we can get some actual worthy threads going, hopefully. Got kinda old when all the threads were the same BS.

How many people have told you you car looks ugly, vs. how many have said it looks great? I liked the earlier looks, and the 2020 SS is ok, too, but I like the 2019 better and will happily keep it until I go for a ZL1 or future Z28.

1st Camaro: '69 350 cu. in. manual, bought used
2nd Camaro: '78 Z-28 auto, T-top, special ordered
current Camaro: '19 2SS Riverside Blue

"The waiting is the hardest part" -Tom Petty

Last edited by DaveH; 05-12-2019 at 05:23 PM. Reason: correct spacing.
DaveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #442
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
I see no reason for a DOHC eng. for the Camaro. It will be bigger and top heavy with less torque.
Blackwing V8 is apparently smaller than the LT4.....

Like it or not, DOHC is the future. Maybe not totally until the 8th gen as LT2 will probably be OHV still, but chances are the next ZL1 will share the C8 Z06(?) engine which is rumored to be DOHC. I don’t see GM being too divergent in their performance V8 family. Heck I could see them switching entirely to DOHC eventually in order to keep costs down by having the trucks provide the volume for the architecture.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:11 AM   #443
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Has an LT2 even been confirmed?

Off of the same block architecture, adding an engine that mounts the same, transmissions are the same, finished engine weighs the same and is simply internal changes for FE or performance is not as big a deal as an all new engine. A ton of calibration, yes. But structurally validating the body is less of an issue.

If the LT2 is the Corvette "base" engine, I don't see it being any different than today where both cars get the LT1. Now the up level offerings is a different story.

Also, does GM want to make an LT1 for the Camaro and an LT2 for the Corvette? That just makes the LT1 and LT2 both more expensive. And as GM is about profit, we can hope they pick the more cost effective solution.
Wasn’t the LT2 listed in the leaked ordering guide? I know those preliminary guides aren’t very accurate but at least it’s some proof an LT2 is coming.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:20 AM   #444
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Blackwing V8 is apparently smaller than the LT4.....

Like it or not, DOHC is the future. Maybe not totally until the 8th gen as LT2 will probably be OHV still, but chances are the next ZL1 will share the C8 Z06(?) engine which is rumored to be DOHC. I don’t see GM being too divergent in their performance V8 family. Heck I could see them switching entirely to DOHC eventually in order to keep costs down by having the trucks provide the volume for the architecture.
The Blackwing was built entirely around minimizing the engine size for the 4.2 liter displacement. It has a small bore and long stroke. Even then, I think it weighs about as much as the LT4.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #445
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Blackwing was built entirely around minimizing the engine size for the 4.2 liter displacement. It has a small bore and long stroke. Even then, I think it weighs about as much as the LT4.
The weight being similar isn’t too surprising. 1 cam + a supercharger + cooling vs 4 cams + 2 cam timing chains + 2 turbos + cooling.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #446
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
If Corvette base engine becomes DOHC expect that to become the Camaro engine as well. that is just the way it goes.

I expect the LT2 to be a improved version of the LT1 so I would expect the OHV to stick around for a while
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #447
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
I'm sure you release that other than the LT1 / LT4, Camaro engines are already DOHC. And so are all Mustang engines. They clearly don't lack for performance. I trust GM to know how to engineer and produce DOHC engines that can make the Camaro sing.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #448
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Like it or not, DOHC is the future.
That's what they said when the C4 ZR-1's LT5 came out....30 years ago
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote