Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Manicmechanic

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels 2SS
How I was able to reset my TPMS Sensors

This post is to cover how I reset my TPMS sensors that were not matching what my tire gauge(s) were indicating. I have been fighting this issue (as most of you have too) for a while and read suggestions of disconnect the battery and resetting the computer that most of you have said didn’t work for you. As this keep rolling around in my mind I thought of a different way to reset the sensors.
What you will need to perform this reset is:
A tire gauge you trust.
A Schrader valve removal tool.
Compressed air source.
Jack, though not necessary, it’s a good idea.
If you cannot perform this yourself, do not PAY someone to do this. It worked for me but may not work for you.
When I start up my car and check the info screen this is usually what I see,

A hodgepodge of readings on the tire pressures, but when I go check with my trusted gauge the tires are right where I like them (37 Psi, 2013 HW Edition 2 SS RS 21” wheel) to be set.
I started at the right rear wheel with the car off and using the Schrader valve removal tool to loosen the valve until it will come out of the Valve Stem, using caution as it has pressure behind it and will fly across the shop if you’re not keeping your hand around it.

Once all the air has left the tire, turn the ignition back on to get the readout to show O Psi.
I started the pics after starting this reset and they aren’t in any order.

Now with the cars readout showing 0 for the tire your working on, turn off the ignition and install the Schrader valve back into the valve stem and carefully tighten it into place, take care not to over tighten it. If you have a jack, raise the car up off the flattened tire and inflate the tire to the pressure you want. It’s easier to inflate the tire with no weight on it Vs. trying to raise the weight of the car IMHO. Once the tire is filled to the amount you want turn the ignition back on and check the readout, it should now match the pressure of your gauge.

One thing I did discover doing this is that when the tire shop changed out my tires the mixed up the front rims as when I let the air out of the LF tire, the RF tire show the 0 Psi reading so I had to swap the 2 front wheels to correct this.
Repeat the process till all 4 tires are done and you should be rewarded with this

After a couple of weeks my readings are still holding up!
Thanks
2006 Torred Daytona #1988
2002 Trans Am WS6 A4
1980 Z/28 388/2004 R
1971 Firebird project

Last edited by Manicmechanic; 02-10-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Manicmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote