Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #29
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacamaro View Post
It was what he recommended to provided added safety for a more aggressive tune. If course the results were nothing like I thought they would be..

When u did my own research, plenty of performance guys seem to back up his statements. Meth in a N/A car won't improve hp but it will run the engine clearer, safer and provide a few more mpg.
Omg, you got so taken.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #30
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFI View Post
LOL, guy is a genius business man.

He not only sells you the tune, but the unit itself. Smart guy.

You basically just paid $400 for a glorified code scanner.
Everyone thinks of HP Tuners..which has two options. First, you can buy the software, interface cable, and buy credits...then you write the tune yourself. You own everything, and can tune as many cars as you want (as long as you keep buying credits). The other, more popular way is to go to a shop that has HP Tuners hardware/software already, and they charge you $4-600, load the custom tune on your car using their HPTuners hardware, and send you on your way.

Diablo works different. The tuner is basically your interface, cables, and credits. The tuner has canned tunes, but if you need a custom tune, you go to a shop that has Diablo CMR software (which cost a few thousand dollars). They use the software, write the tune, and load it on your tuner for you. This is how almost all the Dodge people do it. You do not see Diablo as much with GM because most of the established GM shops prefer HPTuners.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:45 PM   #31
Camper
Banned

Drives: 10' 2SS LS3 M6
tuner ****ed you..
Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #32
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
tuner didnt even use lube man i feel sore for you brotha!!
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #33
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
What's the elevation where you are OP?
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #34
alaskacamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS 45TH Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
What's the elevation where you are OP?
I can skip a rock into the ocean...

Oh, forgot to throw in that 90 octane is the highest pump gas I can get (I only use Chevron or Shell gas though).
alaskacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #35
alaskacamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandSpeed View Post
Everyone thinks of HP Tuners..which has two options. First, you can buy the software, interface cable, and buy credits...then you write the tune yourself. You own everything, and can tune as many cars as you want (as long as you keep buying credits). The other, more popular way is to go to a shop that has HP Tuners hardware/software already, and they charge you $4-600, load the custom tune on your car using their HPTuners hardware, and send you on your way.

Diablo works different. The tuner is basically your interface, cables, and credits. The tuner has canned tunes, but if you need a custom tune, you go to a shop that has Diablo CMR software (which cost a few thousand dollars). They use the software, write the tune, and load it on your tuner for you. This is how almost all the Dodge people do it. You do not see Diablo as much with GM because most of the established GM shops prefer HPTuners.
Yeah I checked Diablo's website and the handheld tuners are around $400.00. Clearly I am no expert but when he was explaining it to me, I had the assumption that he would use the programmed turner but also tweek the tune with the dyno and meth to the best result possible...

I have only had the car back for two days but it is quicker, handles corners 1k better and sounds just plain mean....the numbers on the paper were not what I thought they would be but the car is a whole new animal. However, if he is blowing smoke, I need some professional comments and figures to back it up when I talk to him on Tuesday. If he took me for a ride, I want to make sure nobody else gets in the same car...

Last edited by alaskacamaro; 07-01-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
chevybowtie

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Heard that they are not the best at tuning, but could be wrong. If you dont mind me asking who did your gear install. Local?
chevybowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #37
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Almost looks like the tuner loaded a canned tune from the Diablo for Shorties/exhaust/intake and then pocketed the $500. Also meth injection can be used to gain power on N/A cars as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...lications.html
Ajdin@A2BMotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #38
alaskacamaro

Just a quick update on this issue...

First off, I want to thank Ted and MarylandSpeed for the professional replies and input, I still have a very steep learning curve..

Ted called me personally and gave great advice. Thanks again.

Went to the tuner to get stock parts and asked about the tune, more specifically, the handheld tuner. Tuner apologized and didn't realize he charged me for a custom tune AND and programed tune so he refunded me $400.00.

Despite this issue, I am very very happy with the car and will post a complete write up with pics just as soon as the weather gets sunny again. Thank God for forums like this for people like myself..
Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #39
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:

First off, I want to thank Ted and MarylandSpeed for the professional replies and input, I still have a very steep learning curve..

Went to the tuner to get stock parts and asked about the tune, more specifically, the handheld tuner. Tuner apologized and didn't realize he charged me for a custom tune AND and programed tune so he refunded me $400.00.

Despite this issue, I am very very happy with the car and will post a complete write up with pics just as soon as the weather gets sunny again. Thank God for forums like this for people like myself..
That's great news he gave you your money back. I guess he's only half way shady now.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #40
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:

Hope you got a refund for the meth kit .

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #41
MaxKamai
Mad Ninja Skills

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:

Glad to hear it To my knowledge, no one in Alaska has CMR License.
Custom stainless 2" primary headers / Custom stainless 3" header back exhaust / Hurst short shifter / ZEX nitrous kit / Vararam intake / Spohn chrome moly trailing arms / Sin City Performance Tune / SCP custom ground cam / SCP ported & polished heads

New Car 2007 Corvette Z06 - Headers / Vararam / Magnaflow Catback / SCP Tune / Nitrous / BTR Stg IV Cam and Springs
MaxKamai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #42
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
take that 400 and get setup with ted. unless u know someone in ur area that is a well known tuner on ls engines. then get a dyno tune. but alway get on ls1tech.com or here and look for info on the tuner. lots of info on forums. but ted is very good with a email tune.

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote