Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
TofuDragon

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen17 View Post
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Basically, this will allow my phone (I have Note 4) to be displayed on the MyLink screen? I would love to be able to use the screen to display Google Maps from my phone and run navigation.
Yes, as long as you can output HDMI from your phone. Back when I had a Galaxy S4 this was possible with a special cable, so I'd imagine a Note 4 would be able to as well. Or you can do what I'm doing in the video and hook up a Google Chromecast to it and use your phone as a WiFi access point. I was able to run Google Maps/Nav fine.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #16
Arksine

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray View Post
Does it also have switched touchscreen controls? If I had touchscreen and HDMI I would be set for carpc, as is I pulled my mylink and put in an 8" HDMI touchscreen, but would like a more stock look.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
I'll bet the touchscreen controls are exposed through the UART interface used for their N-Link NAV unit. The reason why I assume so is that the "touch-in" cable seems to be used in GPS units that have their own touchscreens. The N-Link uses it as well, but my guess is its to allow direct configuration of the HD-Link.

Whatever the case, hacking it to work with a CarPC would probably be a chore.

I think I'm gonna get this thing regardless. Aside from HDMI in, this thing appears to give me two things I've been waiting for..a front camera AND positional guidance for the backup camera.

I'll probably start out the way Tofu has, just mirroring my phone on a chromecast, and may later tinker with the NAV interface to see if I can hack it for use with something like a Raspberry or Odroid.
Arksine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #17
rray

Drives: 2013 GAZ 2SS/RS
I have another device I can try in place of a touchscreen interface, Its called a Leap Motion controller. Its just like on the movie minority report, or ms kinect but small as a box of tic tacs.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #18
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Nice Job OP like the way you think.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #19
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
How me many wires do you have to tap?

Imagine adding this unit in combination with the mimicsx2 module to add touch screen functionalty.

We'd basically have our phones as a head unit.

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #20
Arksine

Well, I installed this over the weekend. It works, but I can't get into the configuration. Its likely because I have OEM Navigation and the buttons are different. I'm fortunate that the back button works.

I downloaded the newest manual and translated some portions of it. Sure enough, there is a new footnote that says to enter config with the Source button if you have OEM Nav. Still doesn't work, so I assume I need newer firmware. So I'll be contacting Henry Kim tomorrow night (Monday morning for him) and find out if the firmware is user upgradable, or if not if there is some other way I can coax the system into configuration mode.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #21
headgamez

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksine View Post
Well, I installed this over the weekend. It works, but I can't get into the configuration. Its likely because I have OEM Navigation and the buttons are different. I'm fortunate that the back button works.

I downloaded the newest manual and translated some portions of it. Sure enough, there is a new footnote that says to enter config with the Source button if you have OEM Nav. Still doesn't work, so I assume I need newer firmware. So I'll be contacting Henry Kim tomorrow night (Monday morning for him) and find out if the firmware is user upgradable, or if not if there is some other way I can coax the system into configuration mode.
I spoke with Henry at length about this. We decided that it would be best to update and modify the firmware so that the "source" button on the NAV unit would perform the same function as the "config" button on the Non-NAV units. I will hopefully receive it with the new firmware, and provide some feedback to Henry. Will post updates as soon as I can....

Hutch
headgamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #22
Arksine

Quote:
Originally Posted by headgamez View Post
J

I spoke with Henry at length about this. We decided that it would be best to update and modify the firmware so that the "source" button on the NAV unit would perform the same function as the "config" button on the Non-NAV units. I will hopefully receive it with the new firmware, and provide some feedback to Henry. Will post updates as soon as I can....

Hutch
I just heard back from him, apparently he is on a business trip in Moscow. He did tell me about the new firmware, and said that it was as of yet untested. He mentioned something about a firmware update tool, is he sending you one with the unit? We are going to discuss it further when he gets back on June 1st, but hopefully that part wasn't lost in translation. I'll buy the tool if that is all I need to update, but if it requires me shipping the device back to Korea then I'll have to find another option.

Hah, too bad I was just "assuming" that the remapped buttons on the Nav faceplate wouldn't screw me. But oh well, even as it is I can still use the device and I love it.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #23
headgamez

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksine View Post
I just heard back from him, apparently he is on a business trip in Moscow. He did tell me about the new firmware, and said that it was as of yet untested. He mentioned something about a firmware update tool, is he sending you one with the unit? We are going to discuss it further when he gets back on June 1st, but hopefully that part wasn't lost in translation. I'll buy the tool if that is all I need to update, but if it requires me shipping the device back to Korea then I'll have to find another option.

Hah, too bad I was just "assuming" that the remapped buttons on the Nav faceplate wouldn't screw me. But oh well, even as it is I can still use the device and I love it.
Seems like it is a really nice unit. Hopefully it will work with the updated firmware
headgamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:08 AM   #24
Graphicsgod

Drives: 2015 Manual Hot Red 2LS Camaro
I love this!! Not crazy about buying from a foreign distributor (maybe Gen5DIY could get some of these).. Love to see how it's installed (not just diagrams, actual pictures), and what people are doing with it!!

Like, what about having the USB and HDMI hook up to the glove box so you can hook and unhook whatever you want.. Or even getting long cords and setting something up in the trunk! Also like to see the navigation options this company offers..

And lastly, how did you, TofuDragon, get the Chromecast working without a router, internet access?? Or did you use your phone as a hot spot?

Either way, this has me thinking, since these GM radios no longer have the CD drive and there never was a DVD option!! Also makes adding cameras easy! Looks like a win win..
Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #25
TofuDragon

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphicsgod View Post
I love this!! Not crazy about buying from a foreign distributor (maybe Gen5DIY could get some of these).. Love to see how it's installed (not just diagrams, actual pictures), and what people are doing with it!!

Like, what about having the USB and HDMI hook up to the glove box so you can hook and unhook whatever you want.. Or even getting long cords and setting something up in the trunk! Also like to see the navigation options this company offers..

And lastly, how did you, TofuDragon, get the Chromecast working without a router, internet access?? Or did you use your phone as a hot spot?

Either way, this has me thinking, since these GM radios no longer have the CD drive and there never was a DVD option!! Also makes adding cameras easy! Looks like a win win..
I can understand the hesitation with buying from Korea, since it's a long way to ship back if something isn't working right. But if I had to do it again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The company rep I communicated with was really helpful and customer friendly, and they accept PayPal which means you can always file a PayPal complaint to get your money back if something goes belly-up.

You can run the USB power and HDMI connection wherever you want, with the long enough cable. I bought an HDMI extension and have it (and the Chromecast) behind the kickpanel left of the passenger footwell. Very easy and fast to access and also stays hidden, without taking up space in the glovebox or have things slide around.

Navigation is only for Korea, I'm told. Meaning the maps are only of Korea and prompts are all in Korean...

Yes, my phone is acting as a hotspot. 30GB family share-plan with roll-over data, so plenty of data to spare. Maybe not advisable for people with limited data.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #26
VeeGeeTea
LEXi is Sassy and Classy

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS Boston Acoustic
You have a push start.
I'm interested in that component.
Do you know where one would get a hold of that?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #27
Arksine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TofuDragon View Post
I can understand the hesitation with buying from Korea, since it's a long way to ship back if something isn't working right. But if I had to do it again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The company rep I communicated with was really helpful and customer friendly, and they accept PayPal which means you can always file a PayPal complaint to get your money back if something goes belly-up.

You can run the USB power and HDMI connection wherever you want, with the long enough cable. I bought an HDMI extension and have it (and the Chromecast) behind the kickpanel left of the passenger footwell. Very easy and fast to access and also stays hidden, without taking up space in the glovebox or have things slide around.

Navigation is only for Korea, I'm told. Meaning the maps are only of Korea and prompts are all in Korean...

Yes, my phone is acting as a hotspot. 30GB family share-plan with roll-over data, so plenty of data to spare. Maybe not advisable for people with limited data.
I'm curious as to where you mounted the unit itself. I had it in the glovebox, but it appeared to interfere with my TPMS in that location. I moved it to the floor and so far they seem to be working as they should.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #28
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
How did you guys order? On the website it doesn't say Paypal? Its hard to read even with Google Translate.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote