Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
threetime
*PIMP*

Drives: 2018 2SS
BEWARE OF GEICO INSURANCE

Come to find out, Geico has been over charging me for years and even admitted it. Had me in another state that of course was higher rates. Been trying to cancel and they just keep charging me stating they keep not receiving a hand written cancellation of policy. Biggest scumbags I have ever seen.
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
I had occasion to sue them last year. 2 of the lawyers at the firm I engaged stated that Geico gets sued more than any other auto insurer. They have dethroned State Farm in that area, and that is no mean feat.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Another example for paying attention to your business. These places screw you any chance they get. Also beware of mortgage lenders who escrow. Had 2 that handled mine get sued for over escrow. People get complacent and allow others to handle their money....I dont think so.
Good luck.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
I had them for awhile and everything was fine as long as my driving record was clean, but after 1 minor citation, they raised the rates dramatically. I switched to allstate and so far I have been in good hands.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
Heliogordy

Drives: 2010 2LT Aqua Blue/Silver Ice Rally
After years of continually raising my rates every few months, I switched from 30+ years of State Farm to Liberty Mutual...handled it online and over phone. After a year, had occasion to check policy in depth...they were charging an outlandish rate and had switched me over to LIABILITY COVERAGE ONLY. DROPPED THEM LIKE A HOT ROCK!

Have Erie insurance...great rate and coverage.

Last edited by Heliogordy; 03-25-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Heliogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #6
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
OP, what state are you in? NC has one of the most complex set of rules in the nation. You may have two addresses associated with your policy, garaging address and mailing address. Where are they saying? Your policy also has a contract that is state specific, where is that saying the policy is?

I work in the industry and can’t help with your specific policy, but can try to help point you in the right direction.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #7
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Find a good regional insurance provider. These national insurance companies are scam artists. Remember, Geico was the company that bought radar guns, and donated them to police departments to write speeding tickets! This was quite some time ago, but Car & Driver eviscerated Geico over it, and rightfully so. For another example, my brother had Liberty Mutual. He paid less than me his first year, but by year number 5 or 6 my policy was HALF of his and I have significantly more coverage. If the company can afford to blanket the airwaves and internet with ads, that is money that comes from your premiums (and away from your claim settlements)!
Old 03-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #8
threetime
*PIMP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trm2 View Post
OP, what state are you in? NC has one of the most complex set of rules in the nation. You may have two addresses associated with your policy, garaging address and mailing address. Where are they saying? Your policy also has a contract that is state specific, where is that saying the policy is?

I work in the industry and can’t help with your specific policy, but can try to help point you in the right direction.
I came from Alaska back to NC. Called and changed addresses, emails, and phone number. Called with over billing problem then learned all the crap that was going on. Finally shut off coverage and they still charged me a month, they were nice enough to refund $67 out of the $163 they charged my account and called it early termination fee.

Thanks to everyone else who replied.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
threetime
*PIMP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_6.2 View Post
I had occasion to sue them last year. 2 of the lawyers at the firm I engaged stated that Geico gets sued more than any other auto insurer. They have dethroned State Farm in that area, and that is no mean feat.

Did you win the case? If you don't mind me asking, what had happened??

Thanks
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
Blue_6.2
Banned

Drives: 2019 1SS Convertible
Still in litigation. A 3rd party was driving a vehicle that was owned and insured by the GEICO customer. I was legally parked in front of a business and they drove into me. It pretty much destroyed the ass end of a year old Colorado.
Blue_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
trm2

Drives: Model S, Vette, Volt & Equinox
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetime View Post
I came from Alaska back to NC. Called and changed addresses, emails, and phone number. Called with over billing problem then learned all the crap that was going on. Finally shut off coverage and they still charged me a month, they were nice enough to refund $67 out of the $163 they charged my account and called it early termination fee.

Thanks to everyone else who replied.
I’m guessing you have another company now.

Do you have copies of emails, anything from when you contacted them? If you do, I would start with filing a complaint with the Alaska Department of Insurance.

https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/web/...omplaints.aspx

If they failed to cancel your insurance in Alaska (which it sounds like) you should have recourse to get premium back. Moving to N.C. and getting a new policy has nothing to do with that transaction as insurance is regulated at the state level.
trm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 PM   #12
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_6.2 View Post
Still in litigation. A 3rd party was driving a vehicle that was owned and insured by the GEICO customer. I was legally parked in front of a business and they drove into me. It pretty much destroyed the ass end of a year old Colorado.
I know a couple other people that had to sue Geico for the same thing. They are quick about repairing a customers vehicle but they do everything they can to delay repairing the other persons.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:44 AM   #13
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Well I switched to geico from America Family six months ago after reading a thread on here comparing them to Progressive. I'm saving 100 dollars month after having AF for 25 years.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote