Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
WICKEDSS
Dan

Drives: THE BEAST
Is Tuning for anyone?

Whats up guys....Got a question a buddy of mine is going to purchase some program so he can tune the vehicle he works on....He has a friend that has LS1 Edit and says they are the same..... So my question is how difficult is it to tune i know everone starts at the bottom This guy is ASE Certified and is a close friend of mine, I do trust him to install the cam and springs...I just done want the tuning to be diffrent and it go KABOOM
WICKEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
I hope so (that tuning is for anyone)...I have a Trinity that I have yet to use! Friday I hope...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
they are not the same. Tuning these cars is different then tuning any other lsx car. With these cars, you solely rely on the MAF... as opposed to other lsx cars which is part speed density/part maf, or stictly speed density. There are also no VE tables for these cars.

The fact he is ASE certified shouldn't mean anything.

Honestly, it sounds like he doesn't know what he's about to get into. therefore I wouldn't trust him... just politely say no.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
WICKEDSS
Dan

I just want to make sure its somthing that anyone can do if they have the information in hand..... He is installing the cam and spring next weekend and hasnt tuned a LS3 yet But HIS friend uses LS1 EDIT and says most of it is the same..... So this question is for somone that does tuning .... I dont know the first thing about it so thats why im asking
Old 05-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
jbsrace1

Drives: 2010 2ss
There are allot of differences from a LS1 to the LS3. Just because a friend of a friend has some software don't mean they know what they are doing. Also ASE don't mean anything except he can read a book and pick the correct multiple choice answers. I was a ASE Master Tech at the age of 18 and back then I thought I knew it all. LOL 30 years latter I realized just how ignorant I was back then. I would find someone who has some more tuning experience before letting a friend borrow some software from a friend to tune your car.
jbsrace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKEDSS View Post
I just want to make sure its somthing that anyone can do if they have the information in hand..... He is installing the cam and spring next weekend and hasnt tuned a LS3 yet But HIS friend uses LS1 EDIT and says most of it is the same..... So this question is for somone that does tuning .... I dont know the first thing about it so thats why im asking
words of wisdom: go get a freakin dyno tune.

seriously.... if you like your motor in one piece and not smoking like a diesel.

Stock Longblock

Old 05-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #7
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsrace1 View Post
There are allot of differences from a LS1 to the LS3. Just because a friend of a friend has some software don't mean they know what they are doing. Also ASE don't mean anything except he can read a book and pick the correct multiple choice answers. I was a ASE Master Tech at the age of 18 and back then I thought I knew it all. LOL 30 years latter I realized just how ignorant I was back then. I would find someone who has some more tuning experience before letting a friend borrow some software from a friend to tune your car.

I've been there too. I agree...don't let this guy "tune" your car. You'd be better off with a "canned" tune than this option. The ONLY way to tune for full optimization of your vehicle's powertrain (which it sounds like you are wanting as you're doing internals too...) is to strap it to the dyno and adjust for YOUR car's specific tolerances. This allows you to get things "where they belong" for your car.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
DSteck
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
they are not the same. Tuning these cars is different then tuning any other lsx car. With these cars, you solely rely on the MAF... as opposed to other lsx cars which is part speed density/part maf, or stictly speed density. There are also no VE tables for these cars.

The fact he is ASE certified shouldn't mean anything.

Honestly, it sounds like he doesn't know what he's about to get into. therefore I wouldn't trust him... just politely say no.
Actually, these do use speed density... it's just not a traditional table anymore. It's a set of 30 equations, with the form:

A*MAP^2 + B*MAP + C*MAP*RPM + D*RPM + E*RPM^2 + F

There are 30 zones, each with their own set of coefficients, for a total of 180 coefficients that map a 3D surface... which is your VE "table" if you want to call it that.

How do you tune it?... Well... you either use EFI Live's Virtual Ve, apply an enhanced OS from HP Tuners, or use EQ VE to derive the coefficients from a table.
DSteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

yeah replace what i said with what he said..... I'm just an amatuer. lol

Stock Longblock

Old 05-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
WICKEDSS
Dan

Ok so nothing is the same....So what GUY one is saying to GUY two about tuning is incorrect....Im guessing tuning on a 4TH gen is way more simple than on a 5TH..... Thanks for the feed back guys i can rest easy not knowing that is a whole new ball game when i tell him why im not going to let him......
Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
WICKEDSS
Dan

Ok guys lets back up i was wrong he uses EFI LIVE not LS1 EDIT
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
ratlover

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS 6 speed
Can anyone learn to tune? Id say probably if your willing to put the time in. I can't speak for hptuners(I'm assuming its the same since they have a big fan base) but the EFI live folks are VERY helpful. Both support from the company itself and from users on their forum(and other forums) is great. Its a large community that really wants to help each other and make self tunning work. There is a TON of stuff to read online and lots of books on theory and even some seminars and such(more $) if you want to take the time to learn. That's the big thing, wanting to learn. And being patient and taking your time and taking small steps.

If your friend has the ability and willingness to learn is something that I can't answer though

Check out EFI lives website. They will let you download the program to play with. Then cruise over to hptuners board and efi lives board. Maybe get a basic book on tuning(banish iirc is an author of a deccent book), you might feel that you want to learn it

Its not some mystical black art.....it just takes some time and patients
ratlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 PM   #13
ratlover

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange SS 6 speed
What's up with all this crazy talk of algorithms and such? Don't scare the guy! Just use efilive and the VE table builds itself

*just joking with Dsteck, things are definatly NOT that simple and I'm not saying hptunners is bad. Just some friendly razzing
ratlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
ever heard the old saying "DON'T STEP OVER A DOLLAR TO PICK UP A DIME".
get it done by a pro,on a dyno.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote