Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
steveww
RUSH TWO

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS
Dead Battery

Hello everyone.
I have a 2014 2SS/RS Auto I have approx 40,000 miles on this car. It is not my daily Driver. Last year I decided to put a new battery in it because of battery age.
I went with a Duralast Platinum Battery H7-AGM Group Size 94R 850 CCA. I put this battery in July 2018. Saturday I went to Drive my car and it was completely dead. I tried to charge it and then jump it. got car started and let it run but once I turned car off it was still dead. I just drove it Wednesday with no issues. I took the battery to Autozone and got a free replacement. Once that battery was installed it worked fine.
My question is what could cause my battery to die like that. it shows that it is charging fine on the gauges. but now I am worried something might be causing the battery drain. Any thoughts or ideas I should be addressing.

Thanks in advance

Window tint, Clear bra, 1 7/8 Headers with Hi-flow cats, ADM Performance-CAI, Slotted/Drilled Rotors with Ceramic carbon fiber pads. Painted Calipers, Drag wheels, Outlaw Catback Quad tips, CFD Shifter with Leather boot upgrade, LSA Supercharger, AEM AFR Gauge
steveww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveww View Post
Hello everyone.
I have a 2014 2SS/RS Auto I have approx 40,000 miles on this car. It is not my daily Driver. Last year I decided to put a new battery in it because of battery age.
I went with a Duralast Platinum Battery H7-AGM Group Size 94R 850 CCA. I put this battery in July 2018. Saturday I went to Drive my car and it was completely dead. I tried to charge it and then jump it. got car started and let it run but once I turned car off it was still dead. I just drove it Wednesday with no issues. I took the battery to Autozone and got a free replacement. Once that battery was installed it worked fine.
My question is what could cause my battery to die like that. it shows that it is charging fine on the gauges. but now I am worried something might be causing the battery drain. Any thoughts or ideas I should be addressing.

Thanks in advance

did they test it at autozone? what did they say before they replaced it?
ZL1 10 spokes,Dart 388,ECS Supercharger 2200x, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, Dart 388 , B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Texas Speed Sheet Metal Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Triple Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, KW V3 Coilovers, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM 6l90e level 10 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Nick Williams Boosted 102mm TB, Dr Phil Tune,Borla Atak
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
steveww
RUSH TWO

I took it in and they did not test anything got a new one off the shelf and handed it to me.

Window tint, Clear bra, 1 7/8 Headers with Hi-flow cats, ADM Performance-CAI, Slotted/Drilled Rotors with Ceramic carbon fiber pads. Painted Calipers, Drag wheels, Outlaw Catback Quad tips, CFD Shifter with Leather boot upgrade, LSA Supercharger, AEM AFR Gauge
Old 08-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Either they don’t make batteries like they used to or they make batteries JUST like they used to and haven’t made any upgrades to keep up with the added electronic, battery demand. I have a 2015 2SS and it’s on its second battery. I have a company car that’s a 2014 and it’s on it’s third battery.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #5
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Without knowing what the issue with the battery AZ replaced, it’s hard to say if it just wasn’t a bad battery (short) or....who knows? You say the charging system appears to be working so, give it a week or so and check the battery again to see if it’s loosing voltage or not.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #6
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
You say it's not a daily driver.....how long does it sit?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
I dont have a lot of faith in my electrical system. The battery is hardly every fully charged. Mine was dead last year and I put a new battery in it and one month later it was dead. I had to use the key to get in after sitting 4 days. I charged it and then everything seemed ok until this week. If I went on a long trip it will full charge and the voltage will drop to 12.6. It would be fine for a few weeks then back to charging like crazy at 14.8V. This week it never came up to full charge after a hour run. I have to start pulling fuses and see what is sucking my bat down when the car is off. I have a feeling it might be Onstar. The lights on the mirror stopped working about a year ago. After the battery went full dead and I charged it the lights work now.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #8
Rob10CamaroSS

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Redline Phase 4
Funny part is my Battery just took a chit a few weeks ago and I also bought an Auto Zone Duralast Platinum. When I swapped it I found out the bad Battery was an Auto Zone Duralast Gold from 7/18. Unfortunately the previous owner bought it right before I bought the car so they wouldn't honor the wrrnty to me. Worse than that the bottom line is I also only got a yr out of the previous Batt and I have always had excellent luck with Duralast in the past. Now I'm wondering WTF too ...

So less than 25K miles and mines on the 3rd Batt
Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 PM   #9
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
duracrap battery's suck. you get what you pat for to a certain extent. the only real difference is the warranty from gold to platinum.i have had 3 in 3 different cars not last 2 years.some good reliable brands.
interstate
northstar
oddyssey
and if you car is going to be sitting for a few weeks i would get a battery tender
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:29 AM   #10
fhrex

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
my oem battery lasted 7 years. I replaced it with another AC delco battery, have had no issues.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:26 AM   #11
steveww
RUSH TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
You say it's not a daily driver.....how long does it sit?
I try to drive a couple of days a week weather permitting.
I don't drive it in winter and it has been fine previously.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:35 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
This points directly at the quality of the battery. It should be known that long periods of sitting and inadequate charging time will aid to kill a battery. A good battery should hold a charge, even a small one. I suspect that your replacement battery isn't the best. My '14 is still on its original battery and no problems whatsoever. My car sits in storage, so I have a battery tender connected to it. The battery tenders do a lot in extending the life of a battery. Cars that sit for prolonged periods will wear out their batteries if they do not have a trickle charger connected to it.

If your parking or storage situation permits it, I highly recommend that you get a battery tender or trickle charger and connect it to the car while it sits.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveww View Post
I try to drive a couple of days a week weather permitting.
I don't drive it in winter and it has been fine previously.
Mine is garaged all winter as well. Never used a tinder and the OEM lasted 9yrs. It was always a little weak on the first start in spring...but always came back strong. Only time I noticed any significant drain was when I added a sub and amp.
Only Duralast parts I buy are brake pads......everyrhing else is hit r miss.
I'd make them test this one....get a refund and try another brand. When in doubt, get a Delco.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Without having tested the problem battery before changing it out we are all speculating here. However, there appears to be a trend with problem Duralast batteries in this thread with the minimal posts and multiple issues already. I replaced my OEM battery last year when it started to crank slow with an OEM battery. So far so good thankfully and like you my car is not my DD. I put about 3,000 miles a year on my car now with it sitting during the winter months no tender or anything. I got 8.5 years out of the original when I decided to not risk getting left stranded.

IMO, stick with OEM. The price was actually a little cheaper than O'Reilly, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto for the top tier ACDelco battery.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote