Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-23-2021, 02:40 AM   #1
Gm-Holden

Drives: 99 camaro ss
5th or 6th gen 1LE?

In the market for a 1LE problem is can't decide on which gen to purchased. I like the 5th gen 1LE better but idk about spending that kind of money on a 8yr old vehicle. 6th gen is nice as well but tight as hell inside. Any 5th gen 1LE owners drove a 6th gen 1LE if so what made you decide to keep your 5th gen instead? Thanks
Gm-Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 04:29 AM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Imho, 8 years old only slightly comes into play, if the car has been taken care of.
Old 12-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
I drove a 6th Gen back in 2018. It’s a really nice car. I hated the interior when it was introduced with the vents and things. But once I drove it, it was actually really nice. Although I can’t really answer your question because I drove it for fun, and didn’t intend on trading it. I knew if I wanted a 6th, it was going to be a ZL1. They didn’t have one there at the time. I think it really comes down to looks and technology. Do you want the classic look or the updated modern look? Do you want the newest and greatest technology like cooled seats, rev match, apple play and things? Or are you good with the just a radio? And what are you planning on doing with it? I was just wanting to track mine, which is why when I found the Z28, I chose that
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #4
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
What are your intentions with the vehicle? Daily driver? Track only? Hobby car? In the styling dept I give the edge to the 5th Gen but if you're going to do track/auto X the 6th is lighter and has more power in stock configuration. I'd say drive both and maybe let price and availability help with your decision.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
I own a 5th gen 1LE and my other half owns a 6th gen 1LE.

Power- my 5th gen has always beaten things it shouldn't and now is full bolt on, no internal modifications. So power i say goes to my 5th gen hands down, even against her A10.

Brakes- 6th gen all day. Inital bite is way better. Pedal feel is way better.

Interior - total toss up. I dont have recaro seats. The 6th gen recaros are tight but its a good tight. They hold you. 5th gen seats are total road trip seats. 6th gen recaros hurt my back. Driving position I prefer the 5th gen. I feel lower in the car which I've always liked. Both cars are tall people friendly. Id say 5th gen is going to be a better seating position for track use. Im 6'1 and clear with a helmet. Id be surprised if I could do that in the 6th gen. 6th gen has apple car play and some nice infotainment things that the 5th gen doesn't.

Ride- the 6th gen mag ride is TIGHT and FIRM. That car is put together. 5th gen is tight as well but again thats where I can't exactly make a solid comparison. Her car is 100% stock. My car has 69k on it with some aftermarket bits. I have pfadt solid subframe bushings, pfadt trailing arms and toe links and a JPSS 32mm rear sway bar. I like a solid firm ride in a sports car. 5th gen is definitely a softer more comfortable ride.

What I like leaps and bounds over the 5th gen are steering feel and steering weight and the brake feel.

What I like over the 6th gen is the steering wheel itself and the seats. Love the recaro seats but they hurt my back. Passenger seat hurts my lower back and the driver seat hurts my upper back. No way I could take the 6th gen on a road trip for that reason.

Track car- 6th gen
Weekend Warrior-toss up
DD-5th gen

Last edited by CamaroDreams76; 12-23-2021 at 11:51 AM.
CamaroDreams76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:21 PM   #6
Gm-Holden

Drives: 99 camaro ss
Mainly looking for a clean red 1le low mileage to cruise on weekends/date night and simple bolts like cam etc. I know the 5th gen is slightly heavier but the LS3 is also cheaper in modding compared to the LT1.
Gm-Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #7
ASimmons04

Drives: 2015 AGM 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm-Holden View Post
In the market for a 1LE problem is can't decide on which gen to purchased. I like the 5th gen 1LE better but idk about spending that kind of money on a 8yr old vehicle. 6th gen is nice as well but tight as hell inside. Any 5th gen 1LE owners drove a 6th gen 1LE if so what made you decide to keep your 5th gen instead? Thanks
I’ve always loved the look of the 5th gen more. Definitely has more of a muscular look to it. Plus the interior is simple and very roomy. I’m 6’3” so I need space.
I completely agree with you on how tight it feels inside a 6th gen. I’ve tried over and over to sit in one and like it but, I just can’t. Maybe if I drove a 6th gen I’d warm up to it.
As for pricing, EVERYTHING is up right now. I’d wait it out because from what I’ve seen, the prices for used vehicles are unrealistic and won’t hold as soon as new car production and sales pick up. I refuse to overpay for a vehicle.
For comfort, definitely go with a 5th gen. For a quicker track day stock for stock go with the 6th gen.
My plan is to purchase another 5th gen 1LE in a few years. I regret selling mine. Ordered it brand new from Becky.
Old 12-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #8
96SS390

Drives: 2006 BOM GTO
If you buy a 5th gen do not buy it unless it has Recaros. I personally looked at both in 2020 when I bought mine. I wanted a NG 6th gen 1le as I think they are just gorgeous. That being said at the time they were selling $34k+. I bought my 15 AGM 1le with Recaros and FBO/Cam for $20k with 18k miles. There were plenty of other cammed 5th gen 1le for sale at that time under $25k as well.

Imo no comparison between a cammed 5th 1le and a stock 6th 1le especially for the $10k spread in price difference.
96SS390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #9
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Track car = 6th gen
Street car = 5th Gen

Not that a 6th can’t be a good street car, but the 6th gen is significantly better for the track than the 5th Gen due to chassis improvements and weight. I like my 5th Gen for cruising around and being loud, but it’s heft is a liability on the track, especially if one’s driving style is to brake late. This is even after going to track fluid and pads.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:33 AM   #10
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
Had a 14 1LE, and it was great. Drove a 20 1LE ,and other than the tighter interior the 20 is better in every way . Looking to order a 22 or 23 when things get back to normal, if they ever do . As far as the looks of the 5th vs the 6th gen ,it subjective .Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 02-07-2022, 01:23 PM   #11
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
In terms of presentation I have to give the nod to the 5th gen. Inherited good looks, broad shoulders, and if you add Recaros and the guage package, then you have a knock-down winner. You will need to seek low mileage examples to mitigate the age and wear and tear issues.

However, for best performance it will obviously go to the 6th gen. The looks on it aren't bad either, and their wheels are killer!

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 07:08 PM   #12
CamaroGuy61

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss 1LE
5th Gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimmons04 View Post
I’ve always loved the look of the 5th gen more. Definitely has more of a muscular look to it. Plus the interior is simple and very roomy. I’m 6’3” so I need space.
I completely agree with you on how tight it feels inside a 6th gen. I’ve tried over and over to sit in one and like it but, I just can’t. Maybe if I drove a 6th gen I’d warm up to it.
As for pricing, EVERYTHING is up right now. I’d wait it out because from what I’ve seen, the prices for used vehicles are unrealistic and won’t hold as soon as new car production and sales pick up. I refuse to overpay for a vehicle.
For comfort, definitely go with a 5th gen. For a quicker track day stock for stock go with the 6th gen.
My plan is to purchase another 5th gen 1LE in a few years. I regret selling mine. Ordered it brand new from Becky.
I just purchased a 5th Gen 1LE on Friday. Absolutely love it
CamaroGuy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:30 AM   #13
sway99bird

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro SS
I owned a 13' 1LE and loved it and missed it after I sold it in 2016. I took a break from the car scene a while and I'm actually going to pick up another 13' Victory Red 1LE just like my last one but this one is a 2SS when the first one was a 1SS. But for me I love the 5th gen mainly the 13's they are my favorite I really don't care for the regular SS's I only love the 1LE's and ZL1's. But it depends what you want and if it's older just make sure it was taken care of and good shape and you will be fine.
sway99bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:41 AM   #14
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm-Holden View Post

"I like the 5th gen 1LE better"

I think there is nothing to solve
You answered yourself

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote