Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Ceramic Pro

Wondering what peoples opinion on a paint correction and ceramic pro coating for my Camaro with 33k on it.

I keep the car mint but it still has hairline swirls. Nearly impossible to avoid.

Ive been quoted the following in Northern California:

$1000 two year guarantee
$1400 five year
$1700 lifetime

Is it worth it? Are these costs what others have heard or seen?
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
mfarhan_amin

Drives: Camaro 2SS 2013
Ceramic Pro is rubbish. I own a detailing shop. I do paint correction and ceramic coatings.
if you have a garage then DIY. it will save you at least 1500$.
buy Hendlex Ceramic or if available then Nasiol ZR53. best coating ever. easy to apply. we do it here in Saudi Arabia for 500$ with complete paint correction. the shop is Detailing Garage Jeddah, Do search on instagram.

VMAX PORTED THROTTLE BODY, ROTO-FAB CAI, FLOWMASTER OUTLAW AXLE-BACK WITH J-PIPES. VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER. 1LE 3.91 GEARS. KOOKS 1 7/8 LTs, CAT DELETE, GPI SS2 VVT CAM, ATI 10%
UDP, MELLING HIGH VOLUME HIGH PERFORMANCE OIL PUMP
mfarhan_amin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
The benefits of a coating are very good.

However, there is no sense to spend money to have your car polished and coated if your only going to put the swirls right back in.

I'd suggest getting yourself a DA polisher. If your only doing this car. A Griot's Garage 6" polisher with 5" backing plate, and a good light to find swirls.

Correct and polish only one part of your car, the hood or trunk lid, and check these areas after using this wash technique after a few months. If done as shown, you won't have any swirls.

Then do the whole car and apply a coating yourself. Optimum Gloss coat is very easy as it "self levels".

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:04 PM   #4
sspade

Thanks for the input. Still trying to figure out the best plan. Like I said, I keep the car perfect and don't need anyone to clean it or do that for me but a good paint correction (no experience) and possibly a really good "permanent" coating seem like the right way to go and try again with least swirls possible methods.

I'm just getting back into a house where I have my power washer and all my personal goodies at my finger tips in my three car garage after loft living for a while.

I am still considering Ceramic Pro although it is pretty expensive. Would like to hear from more people and hopefully someone that has Ceramic Pro. I'm certain there are guys on here who have tried it.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
Old 08-18-2017, 04:12 AM   #5
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
I Ceramic Coated Michelle's Camaro earlier this summer with Adam's Ceramic Paint Coating and the trim with his Ceramic Trim Coating myself:

I'd machine polished the car prior to the application of the coatings. If I was to do this to a paying customers car it would add $250 to the standard detail job. I've coated three cars now and am very impressed with the results!
The link will take you to the costs of the various coatings and kits:
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/coatings.html
If you pay someone else to do it, it's almost all for their labor.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
bayarea408

Drives: T
I used car pro Cquartz UK and Reload it came out REALLY good. If you have knowledge and experience with a orbital buffer you can do this at home yourself and save a ton of cash. Looks like glass, feels like glass, water repellent, and every once in a while i use reload to freshen it up.

my steps were

Carwash with water
Carwash with iron X -removes metals and brake dust on daily drivers.
Rinse again with water
Clay bar the entire car

50/50 isoprophyl alcohol and water mixed into a spray bottle do a pass on the entire car.

Essence polish by car pro it promotes cquartz adhesion using their high gloss pad, my paint is not bad.

Cquartz applied, i let it sit and cure in a dry garage for 2 or 3 days, came back and used reload finishing spray. Car looks better then the day i bought it. It has a extremely glossy wet look that i enjoy. Total damage was about 140 bucks for everything including a cheap 20 dollar black and decker polisher.

If you go this route depending on which exact product you use, THOROUGHLY research its application and removal process, as heavily applied and overly cured product will RUIN the paint clear layers and come out horrible.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
sspade

Thanks for the details. I'm a little nervous to do any paint correction or coating on my own as I have no experience. A little surprised that more people haven't commented on Ceramic Pro.

The method you used sounds great though. Any chance your looking to make a couple bucks?
Old 08-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
bayarea408

Drives: T
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Thanks for the details. I'm a little nervous to do any paint correction or coating on my own as I have no experience. A little surprised that more people haven't commented on Ceramic Pro.

The method you used sounds great though. Any chance your looking to make a couple bucks?

ceramic pro seems to be used by certified installers only. So in other words they do not sell to the public directly as ceramic pro 9h needs to be used and applied by a pro, not as friendly and lasts twice as long 5 years+. I attempted to buy some online only to find a bunch of Chinese knock offs, way too risky.

If you are afraid of paint corrections and messing the car up with polishers and pads i recommend car pro product reload. Similar characteristics to cquartz by itself and much much friendlier to use. It is like a higher end sealant spray wax with anti water attributes and typically lasts 6 months. I use it as a topper for the cquartz i laid on. Glossiest car i have ever owned.
bayarea408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
gofast908z

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

As a coating itself, CP is ok. However, the biggest part of the cost is the paint correction and prep work. I just finished a cleanup detail on a 911 that was coated with CP a year ago. It did clean easy, and it did bead nicely. However the car was loaded with swirls. The lower half you could tell was not even fully corrected initially. There were traces of compound/polish residue that wasn't even wiped off and numerous high spots on the coating. That guy paid the CP shop 1500. I can tell you right now, for 1500 at my shop there's no way in hell you leave here with issues like that!

I'd also take a VERY close look at the fine print of the warranty.

Like I said, I think the CP product is "ok". My issue rests with the training, or lack of it, for their installers, and grandiose claims about durabilty, rock chip resistance, etc.

Feel free to PM me if you want some more thoughts on it. I don't want to go on a rant. But this has been consistent with what I've seen on most CP cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea408 View Post
ceramic pro seems to be used by certified installers only. So in other words they do not sell to the public directly as ceramic pro 9h needs to be used and applied by a pro, not as friendly and lasts twice as long 5 years+. I attempted to buy some online only to find a bunch of Chinese knock offs, way too risky.

If you are afraid of paint corrections and messing the car up with polishers and pads i recommend car pro product reload. Similar characteristics to cquartz by itself and much much friendlier to use. It is like a higher end sealant spray wax with anti water attributes and typically lasts 6 months. I use it as a topper for the cquartz i laid on. Glossiest car i have ever owned.
The "certification" for CP is lets just say VERY EASY to get. They don't actually vet their installers. I install one of the most exclusive coatings out there, and let me tell you, the company makes sure you know what you're doing, how to correct to the *highest* degree, have insurance, and have a track record going back a long time of excellent customer service.

CP does not.
gofast908z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #10
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
I have an upcoming appointment to have my Camaro paint corrected and Ceramic Pro applied. I've seen the shop's work (Titan Motorworks in Rochester, NY) and they do outstanding applications. The key is the paint correction PRIOR to any coating. They will also be applying a fabric repellent to my convertible top. I had them do my wheels and brake calipers two years ago with Ceramic Pro, and the stuff still works. Easy clean up and great shine. Can't wait to see the whole car complete.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #11
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Do yourself a favour and buy a bottle of Adams Ceramic Boost. You will be surprised how good the car looks. Its good for windows and trim as well. I keep my car mint...after doing the Ceramic Boost there was a definite improvement in shine. I know its not a coating. ..but it sure looks damn good in person.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attac...1&d=1554992608
Attached Images

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:59 AM   #12
denboy1

Drives: 2014 2ss Convertible
Very light scratching on my 8k mile car but I just prepped for the season with a wash, Adam's clay bar, polish with Adam's white pad and their polish on a HF polisher then Adam's H20 guard and gloss followed by their Ceramic Boost. Really shiny.
denboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:03 PM   #13
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Here's my baby getting her Ceramic Pro finishing strokes. She's hot!

Name:  IMG_1979.jpg
Views: 1467
Size:  180.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0503.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  167.0 KB
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:08 AM   #14
Nb1081

Drives: 10 2ss/rs
How much did they charge you