Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #1
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Bi monthly fuse pull

It seems like every 2 weeks or so I have to do a fuse pull and don’t know why. I only fill up with Mobil or Sunoco 93 octane and fill up around 2-3x a month. But it’s seems like after 2 weeks my car loses power until I do a fuse pull, no matter how hard I mash the gas it doesn’t scream and pull unless the fuse pull was done. And it seems like it only lasts 2 weeks or so. There is a huge difference in power and it’s really annoying.

Car is tuned by dyno Steve atm and mods in my sig
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #2
CamRellim

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
What fuse are you referring to?
CamRellim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
It seems like every 2 weeks or so I have to do a fuse pull and don’t know why. I only fill up with Mobil or Sunoco 93 octane and fill up around 2-3x a month. But it’s seems like after 2 weeks my car loses power until I do a fuse pull, no matter how hard I mash the gas it doesn’t scream and pull unless the fuse pull was done. And it seems like it only lasts 2 weeks or so. There is a huge difference in power and it’s really annoying.

You raise a interesting question. I have never felt the need to pull them again. Did it once and never forgot to use premium. But now you have me wondering if I’d gain some steam if I did it again. Or as often as you do.

I’m thinking that -possibly- you might be just thinking it’s different. But I’ll let you know!
Old 03-23-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
DeLong

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
What fuse is pulled and why? Make the computer start to re-learn some parameters?
DeLong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:33 AM   #5
mikeinmobile

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLong View Post
What fuse is pulled and why? Make the computer start to re-learn some parameters?
Pull fuse 5 and 20 to reset the fuel mapping. I might be calling that the wrong thing. If you run a SS on less than 93 octane the computer changes the tune so the fuse pull sets it back to optimum performance for 93 octane.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:08 AM   #6
d kings z28

Drives: 2014 white z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmobile View Post
Pull fuse 5 and 20 to reset the fuel mapping. I might be calling that the wrong thing. If you run a SS on less than 93 octane the computer changes the tune so the fuse pull sets it back to optimum performance for 93 octane.
An Location? Please. pull fuse start car turn off replace??
d kings z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:32 AM   #7
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by d kings z28 View Post
You have 92 octane in Washington state. Pull the fuses. Let car sit for six hours, or even over night. Replace fuses. Start and drive.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:34 AM   #8
Bigdumogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by d kings z28 View Post
Fuse pull is the 5 and 20 fuse under the hood. I usually leave it out overnight since it takes a few hours to relearn. Our cars can drop to a lower octane table if it sensed a pre detonation and won’t revert back unless you pull those 2 fuses or disconnect the battery.

I can tell it’s a huge difference for me - without it when I go full open throttle it feels like I’m stepping on it 3/4 only. Afterwards it’s a whole new animal in sound and pull.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Old 03-24-2021, 06:35 AM   #9
Bigdumogre

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292348

Here us the original thread that goes in depth with pictures
Old 03-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #10
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post

3 things spring to mind;
1. Something like loose exhaust causing false knock tricking the ecu to think it's lower fuel
2. Bad knock sensor or wiring again leading to false knock.
3. The tune has the timing off, causing knock.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #11
Bigdumogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
3 things spring to mind;
1. Something like loose exhaust causing false knock tricking the ecu to think it's lower fuel
2. Bad knock sensor or wiring again leading to false knock.
3. The tune has the timing off, causing knock.
Thanks
I have a appointment coming up with complete street performance for cam,heads,converter and other things and will talk to them about it.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:24 AM   #12
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
You shouldn't need to pull the fuses all the time like that if the tune is right, unless you got some bad gas, which will set it back down into the low fuel tables. In my years of driving my Camaro untuned, cammed and tuned I have found that the type of fuel I used made a big difference in how my car ran, believe it or not. I have ran them all, 93 oct only because I wanted to see which ran better in my Camaro. To date the only ones I will run now are Shell 93 and BP 93, all the rest seem to make my car "sluggish", and I don't like that. Now I have friends who run other stuff and don't have any issues, but they are not cammed but are tuned with LT's and CAI's. Sunoco and Chevron were the worst by far, seemed like their 93 was 87. This is just my experience.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #13
Bigdumogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
You shouldn't need to pull the fuses all the time like that if the tune is right, unless you got some bad gas, which will set it back down into the low fuel tables. In my years of driving my Camaro untuned, cammed and tuned I have found that the type of fuel I used made a big difference in how my car ran, believe it or not. I have ran them all, 93 oct only because I wanted to see which ran better in my Camaro. To date the only ones I will run now are Shell 93 and BP 93, all the rest seem to make my car "sluggish", and I don't like that. Now I have friends who run other stuff and don't have any issues, but they are not cammed but are tuned with LT's and CAI's. Sunoco and Chevron were the worst by far, seemed like their 93 was 87. This is just my experience.
Hmmm maybe I should a different station. Mobil and Sunoco both have 93 by me and are on my driving route so that’s why I get them. I have always used 93 and nothing else.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:37 AM   #14
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Keep in mind there's a chance that it's still winter blend fuels. But I agree with others, your tune might be a little too aggressive for the car and knocking you down into the low octane table because of knock. Be it real knock, or false knock.

If complete street is getting the car and they put it on the dyno, they can adjust and fix and you should be good after that.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote