Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Are issues for new kids any different than old kids?
probably, old kids usually have legs... and legs are incompatible with rear seating in a pony car
Old 10-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #16
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I have installed a graco click connect 35 infant car seat base and had the car seat in when my club had the yearly BBQ. My wife didn't want to drive just her and the baby. I put it behind the passenger seat bc I needed to keep my seat back in order to drive comfortably. It was bad. The baby was crying non stop, I couldn't reach her, I had to stop the car, get out, move the seat forward, get in the back and put the pacifier back in. And she spits it back out. I listened to a good 45-50 mins of non stop screaming and the wife being mad at me bc I told her she couldn't sit back there with her.

Do yourself a favor, buy a beater car.... With 4 doors. I leased a cruze and while its small or having a car seat in it, it's perfect for everyday back and forth driving.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #17
Blown 386

Drives: 2010 victory red 2SS/RS
I own a 2010 hard top car and I myself have a young kiddo, hes almost 2 years old. I can say that the infant carrier part is going to suck. you end up sliding your passenger side seat pretty far forward to get it in and level for the infant seat. My wife is 5.6 and fit fine in the passenger front. It will be cramped for anyone taller.

Now i will say this it gets easier, once your kid can face forward you will find that its supper easy to get out and about with a kid in a camaro. you can actually side the seat back much farther at that point. its just the first part with a new born that will be a pain.

Easy tip take the seat belt off the seat and slide the passenger seat completely to the front and tilt it. makes getting the carrier in and out easier. do not remove your base if you dont have to and make sure you place a towel under the base before you install it.
Blown 386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #18
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
We've put over 5000 miles on ours this summer with my wife in the front and daughter behind her, getting in and out requires a bit of contortion, but once she's in she's as comfortable as she would be farther back. She's 5'4"

When we bought the car, we didn't think it would be possible either, and figured we'd have to wait until the kiddo transitioned to a forward facing seat to do family rides... but we tried it on a short cruise around town and it worked, slowly started doing longer and longer trips, and still no issues. If the car wasn't made to have carseats in it, it would not have LATCH anchors.

isn't it a law that all cars with a back seat has to have the latch system? Im not sure I just thought it was. I know you can install car seats without a latch system and without a base as well.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
We've put over 5000 miles on ours this summer with my wife in the front and daughter behind her, getting in and out requires a bit of contortion, but once she's in she's as comfortable as she would be farther back. She's 5'4"

When we bought the car, we didn't think it would be possible either, and figured we'd have to wait until the kiddo transitioned to a forward facing seat to do family rides... but we tried it on a short cruise around town and it worked, slowly started doing longer and longer trips, and still no issues. If the car wasn't made to have carseats in it, it would not have LATCH anchors.
Post a pic of her comfortably sitting with a rear facing car seat. I'll say this: she may be sitting comfy but it's not safe at all. One, she's too close to the dash for air bag to deploy without injuring her or 2, she'll eat the dash if something happens. Just because it has latches doesn't mean it was made for it. Forward facing? Yes. Rear facing? No unless no one occupies the pass seat.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #20
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Anytime we rode with the baby, my wife was always in the back singing, playing, watching the baby. She rarely sat up front even in the suv. The front will likely not get used much.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #21
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
isn't it a law that all cars with a back seat has to have the latch system? Im not sure I just thought it was. I know you can install car seats without a latch system and without a base as well.
If it has a rear seat thats capable and designed for car seats, yes, that was my point.

and yes LATCH seats can be installed with a seatbelt, with or without the base, but the removable base and LATCH make things a lot easier, especially in tight confines like a Camaro. We bought a second base, leave one in the Camaro all the time and the other gets swapped back and forth from the SUV or crew cab truck depending on what we're driving.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #22
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Post a pic of her comfortably sitting with a rear facing car seat. I'll say this: she may be sitting comfy but it's not safe at all. One, she's too close to the dash for air bag to deploy without injuring her or 2, she'll eat the dash if something happens. Just because it has latches doesn't mean it was made for it. Forward facing? Yes. Rear facing? No unless no one occupies the pass seat.

If you're not going to believe us based on statements, what good is a picture? You're just going to say she's not comfortable... I'll take her word for it over some guy on the internet who's never met her.

As for the airbag, she's farther from it than she is in the drivers seat of most vehicles. The seat track would not have a notch that far forward if it wasn't an intended seating position... its not like we modified anything to push it farther forward.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #23
Wizard1183

You're wife is 1/1000 who sits comfortably if not more. lmao

Old 10-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #24
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
You're wife is 1/1000 who sits comfortably if not more. lmao
how many have you surveyed? Personally, I'm only concerned about the comfort of one wife.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #25
Wizard1183

I surveyed my gf who is 4'11" and she could NOT fit comfortably. Perhaps it was the car seat, but I don't know of ANY rear-face that are small enough to have passengers sit comfortably. We used a Graco. So I find it hard to believe your wife who's 5'4" sits comfy. But whatever. Glad she does. Peace

Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 PM   #26
vyfxbrunowfr

Drives: audi
You're wife better seriously be a midget if she's riding in the passenger seat.
vyfxbrunowfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #27
Chevy_cowboy

Could be your gf is 1/1000 that's hard to please? Or 70% of her height is below the waist... I don't know, never met her. My wife is pretty easy going, and loves the Camaro ragtop experience as much (or more) than I do... so she's ok with a bit of inconvenience to do family joy rides.

The Graco's we tested were too wide to fit between the bolsters on the back seat, not sure how that would effect front seat passenger though. Chicco keyfit and Uppababy Mesa both fit great because they're narrow.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #28
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
my camaro was a "me" car until my son was in a forward facing (about 2 years old). i drive with the pass seat up a ways so he is not kicking it.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote