Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Breink_7

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Stock LSA 800hp what will it take???

First post on here so I’ll give a quick run down,
2014 ZL1 M6
Car bone stock made 501rwhp base line then 540rwhp w/ tune
Current mods:
- Fore Inn. dual pump return fuel system w/flex fuel (always run 100% E85)
- I.D. 1050’s
- 2.45 upper
- rotofab intake

Car made 685RWHP on current setup above. This winter I plan on doing the following mods:
- Afco HX w/ 5 gallon ice box
- lower pulley (don’t know what size yet maybe 9.10?)

Now for my question... I know most of you will shoot me down and say no way but I figured I’d see what you all think. I think it would be fun to see how big of numbers I can get out of it without getting into the motor (Stock cam, heads, blower) I figure if I put a lower pulley w/ the ice box I should be able to get up over 700rwhp pretty easly now this is where I’m not sure where to go with it. Should I get a 102 TB and match port the snout? Or do I go all out and port the blower and everything but would it be worth it with out the cam and headers? Trying to see how close to 800rwhp I can get without having to get into the motor. What are your thoughts and what direction and mods would you go with to reach this goal?

I appreciate the input and opinions you guys have very curious to see what you guys think.
Breink_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
Coop[580

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Ashen Grey
Well I have a similar setup to u but a 18%. Plus headers and full exhaust. And I’m only at 670rwhp. I can’t see u getting to 800 without quit abut more. But I suppose if u tell ur tuner that’s what u want he can show u a graph w 800. There are different dynos out there. I’d like to know what kind ur car was put on for those numbers
635/632-93 octane
725/738-E85
Coop[580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
685hp seemed high to me too but considering your numbers it might be possible without the SAE vs STD dyno tricks.
I think his 23% over your 18% would nearly equal out your headers.
He has a manual trans which would give him what, 15hp over our automatics?
That would put him right at 685 then.

Op pully it up and put on a
AEM V2 Water / Methanol Injection Kit

https://youtu.be/y-1giF7jQfg?t=453 e85 vs methanol injection (or both)

I want to see what it would do so we might follow your lead.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:47 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
There's no way you're getting to 800 RWHP without full Heads/Cam/Ported Blower/Meth/E85 or both. Even then, not everybody gets there. You'll need a max effort setup. Look up Race Proven Motorsports' video on their ~822 RWHP ZL1.

You'll need:
2.45 + 18% (This is a very aggressive pulley combo. Will create lots of heat.)
5" RPM Intake, TB preferably
Ported Blower and Snout
Heads/Cam
Preferably Meth or E.
Fore Fuel System

Have fun.

Went and found the video for ya...

Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
Breink_7

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Yes I know 800hp is not going to happen, I just want to see how far into the 700’s I can get I’m thinking I might be able to get close to 750 but hell I could be maxed out where I’m at currently idk.

Silversleeper I thought about the meth with E85 I’m just not sure if I trust the meth kits enough yet I’ve seen some bad stuff happen with that stuff and makes me nervous that’s why I’m leaning more towards the ice box and HX.

I do think there is power to be gained tho just with getting rid of some of the heat for sure so we’ll see, I’ll throw a lower on it cool it off and maybe do a 102 and see what happens it’s not gonna hurt plus it’ll be a step in the right direction for once I do cam it I suppose lol
Breink_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:13 PM   #6
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breink_7 View Post
Yes I know 800hp is not going to happen, I just want to see how far into the 700’s I can get I’m thinking I might be able to get close to 750 but hell I could be maxed out where I’m at currently idk.

Silversleeper I thought about the meth with E85 I’m just not sure if I trust the meth kits enough yet I’ve seen some bad stuff happen with that stuff and makes me nervous that’s why I’m leaning more towards the ice box and HX.

I do think there is power to be gained tho just with getting rid of some of the heat for sure so we’ll see, I’ll throw a lower on it cool it off and maybe do a 102 and see what happens it’s not gonna hurt plus it’ll be a step in the right direction for once I do cam it I suppose lol

I going to jump in and say that you need to work on letting some of that boost pressure out. Without headers and or a cam, adding more boost is pointless because the blower is just no longer efficient and just generating a TON of heat. I am guessing you are around 15 PSI or so now and based on my experience there is little more to be had with the LSA blower and be efficient. 800 RWHP starts to approach the reliability limits of the internal components. Not to say it wont live, but how long will it live. You will need heads and cam to get there, maybe a ported blower, but it can be done.

Mods don't just add fixed HP per component. They have to work together and give you a more efficient engine.

I have never been a fan of dyno numbers other than the before and after gains on the same dyno corrected to SAE in close to the same conditions. I personally look toward 1/4 trap speed to see what kind of power I am making.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:15 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
I going to jump in and say that you need to work on letting some of that boost pressure out. Without headers and or a cam, adding more boost is pointless because the blower is just no longer efficient and just generating a TON of heat. I am guessing you are around 15 PSI or so now and based on my experience there is little more to be had with the LSA blower and be efficient. 800 RWHP starts to approach the reliability limits of the internal components. Not to say it wont live, but how long will it live. You will need heads and cam to get there, maybe a ported blower, but it can be done.

Mods don't just add fixed HP per component. They have to work together and give you a more efficient engine.

I have never been a fan of dyno numbers other than the before and after gains on the same dyno corrected to SAE in close to the same conditions. I personally look toward 1/4 trap speed to see what kind of power I am making.
Bingo.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
BlackMambaZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
I agree with crazydave and Can'tHave on this. They know there stuff.

Crazydave is right about the headers. Throwing the pulley in without headers will be counter productive. There is no where for the added pressure to go and makes it incredibly inefficient and hot... therefore dangerous for the SC. You are going to get to a point where the heat you are generating is countering the HP you are going for. I will add, I REALLY REALLY regret not ceramic coating my headers. If you get them go that route.

Personally, I am sitting at 764rwhp. To get there I had to do a cam and pushrods etc. I did a lot of cooling to the car last winter and drove it all summer with the mods that I did... never had a heat scare and IAT and IAT2's were always within 15* of each other. I have a black car and it gets well into the 100's in ID. Only thing that I have is some tuning issues since there isn't a good tuner within 300 miles of Boise. I am not going any higher than where I am at because I am not wanting to get deeper into the internals. No meth, no ice tank but HX with fans, coolant res, crank case breather, cam and e85. I trust the set up and multiple people in the forums have had success with this set up.
764RWHP on e85 683RWHP on 91. M6 Black on Black on Black. 1300ID's, DSX Aux Pump and Flex Fuel Sensor, Lingenfelter 2.5 upper 9.5 lower, 100MM idler, AFCO HX w/ FANS. 1 7/8"ARH exhaust to axle incl LTH, MF's, Fuel Lab FF, Lingenfelter ported snout and TB, Lingenfelter CAI, RotoFab coolant tank, NGK 2 steps colder spark plugs, Moroso catch can, BTR Stage III cam, crank case breather. Tuned by Power Labs in Idaho Falls, ID.
BlackMambaZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Ajax2112

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMambaZL1 View Post
I agree with crazydave and Can'tHave on this. They know there stuff.

Crazydave is right about the headers. Throwing the pulley in without headers will be counter productive. There is no where for the added pressure to go and makes it incredibly inefficient and hot... therefore dangerous for the SC. You are going to get to a point where the heat you are generating is countering the HP you are going for. I will add, I REALLY REALLY regret not ceramic coating my headers. If you get them go that route.

Personally, I am sitting at 764rwhp. To get there I had to do a cam and pushrods etc. I did a lot of cooling to the car last winter and drove it all summer with the mods that I did... never had a heat scare and IAT and IAT2's were always within 15* of each other. I have a black car and it gets well into the 100's in ID. Only thing that I have is some tuning issues since there isn't a good tuner within 300 miles of Boise. I am not going any higher than where I am at because I am not wanting to get deeper into the internals. No meth, no ice tank but HX with fans, coolant res, crank case breather, cam and e85. I trust the set up and multiple people in the forums have had success with this set up.
What heads are you running? These are some pretty stout numbers. What dyno was it tuned on?
Ajax2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
I've been watching this thread for a minute. The LSA bottom will live at 750 rwhp for a while on blower only (no nitrous). Anything above that at higher than recommended boost levels is asking for trouble. Your tuner is the key in this territory and how long you are WOT (1/4, 1/2, mile events).

Mine started to have blow by issues at 783 rwhp on just a 2.55 upper pulley and full bolt-ons, E-85/Meth. Car still ran strong but compression was low on 1 cylinder (blow by). Worn factory rings coatings was culprit. This is a known but not mentioned too often issue in the LSA/LS9. Currently on forged bottom with factory crank pushing 850 rwhp with basically the same combo. Just more boost, 5" intake and 102 TB.

Hope this helps.
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
I've been watching this thread for a minute. The LSA bottom will live at 750 rwhp for a while on blower only (no nitrous). Anything above that at higher than recommended boost levels is asking for trouble. Your tuner is the key in this territory and how long you are WOT (1/4, 1/2, mile events).

Mine started to have blow by issues at 783 rwhp on just a 2.55 upper pulley and full bolt-ons, E-85/Meth, and Heads/Cam. Car still ran strong but compression was low on 1 cylinder (blow by). Worn factory rings coatings was culprit. This is a known but not mentioned too often issue in the LSA/LS9. Currently on forged bottom with factory crank pushing 850 rwhp with basically the same combo. Just more boost, 5" intake and 102 TB.

Hope this helps.
Fixed it. Bet that thing is nasty!
Old 11-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
Stefano

Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breink_7 View Post
First post on here so I’ll give a quick run down,
2014 ZL1 M6
Car bone stock made 501rwhp base line then 540rwhp w/ tune
Current mods:
- Fore Inn. dual pump return fuel system w/flex fuel (always run 100% E85)
- I.D. 1050’s
- 2.45 upper
- rotofab intake

Car made 685RWHP on current setup above. This winter I plan on doing the following mods:
- Afco HX w/ 5 gallon ice box
- lower pulley (don’t know what size yet maybe 9.10?)

Now for my question... I know most of you will shoot me down and say no way but I figured I’d see what you all think. I think it would be fun to see how big of numbers I can get out of it without getting into the motor (Stock cam, heads, blower) I figure if I put a lower pulley w/ the ice box I should be able to get up over 700rwhp pretty easly now this is where I’m not sure where to go with it. Should I get a 102 TB and match port the snout? Or do I go all out and port the blower and everything but would it be worth it with out the cam and headers? Trying to see how close to 800rwhp I can get without having to get into the motor. What are your thoughts and what direction and mods would you go with to reach this goal?

I appreciate the input and opinions you guys have very curious to see what you guys think.

It takes a bit more to get there in an everyday usable pkg.

Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:35 AM   #13
GODZL1A

Drives: 2015 ZL1
2015 ZL1 E85

Forza dyno tune
New Era CAI 4 inch
New Era reservoir
Vedder performance lid manifold
FI interchiller
TPIS 102 mm throttle body
Jokerz ported supercharger