Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
floraneg

Drives: 2010 1SS RS
I agree with Junkman. I had a major problem with the break dust on the SS as with my Corvette. It's a GM thing. Anyway, I slapped a coat of wax on them alond with a spraydown of Zaino CS and it seems as if it repels 80% of the dust. No more dark dirty rims. Hit them with the hose and the dust runs right off with the water.

I will be replacing the pads with ceramic pads once they are needed. I had good luck with the Vettes.

Good luck
floraneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Are you referring to the Z-Rated pads Junkman? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3351&ppt=C0068

Do they have the wear sensors on them? One 1 pad on all 4 corners of the Hawk Ceramic pads have them ;(
No, the pads I am actually talking about are made by Wagner.

I'm talking zero brake dust. As Floraneg insinuated, GM stock pads suck big time. They squeak a leave a ton of dust. These pads won't do either, and if you keep your wheels waxed, the dirt will come off with water alone.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-27-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #17
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Cool, thanks! They are cheaper than my Hawk Ceramic pads!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
Gloss-it
King of Gloss!

Drives: Mod Corvette Z06
Gloss-it's Signature Wheel Gel Cleaner is not only safe for any type of rim, but has the cleaning power that is unsurpassed in the car care industry. Signature Wheel Gel is a unique ph neutral wheel cleaner that was tested on the finest quality OEM and after market wheels available. Proven not to stain, etch or damage polished lips, clear coated and/or custom painted rims.
Signature Wheel Gel is safe from damaging body painted surfaces and body trim. While the thick consistency of this product allows it to cling to surfaces and effectively loosen brake dust and grime., it also rinses freely to leave tires and rims streak free.
Signature Wheel Gel Cleaner can be diluted 1:1 to 1:2 and 1:4. One bottle can make as much as 3 bottles making it a great value for the money!

This cleaner will not stain or etch polish wheel, will actually brighten. Also very effective for getting the barrel and brake caliper spotless. AS you will see below.

Dodge Viper Truck / No clearcoat

Before:

After:
Gloss-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #19
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Personally I would use something more durable and longer lasting than a carnauba on wheels, like a good sealant.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
Gloss-it
King of Gloss!

Drives: Mod Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHURRY View Post
Personally I would use something more durable and longer lasting than a carnauba on wheels, like a good sealant.

I agree! Sealant is much better and more resistant against brake dust which is corrosive.
Gloss-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #21
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
I can understand why you feel that way, however, a sealant is much more work to apply. A good carnuba won't require you to wait for it to dry and speed up the process significantly. With a sealant, you need to come back and do a second wipe down somewhere in the area of 12 hours later. By that time, you have driven the car and you take the chance of possibly grinding dirt into the wheels. Remember, we're talking clear coat here. Clear coat on wheels can get just as swirly as the clear coat on paint. For those of you who have watched my waterless wash videos, you know that this is a major no-no. The less you touch the clear coat, the less opportunity there is for you to swirl up the clear coat. That's Junkman's paint maintenance rule #1!

That's why a carnuba is a much wiser choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloss-it View Post
I agree! Sealant is much better and more resistant against brake dust which is corrosive.
Actually, a sealant will last longer as far as the length of the protect but in the terms of durability, they are very close to equal. This may very from brand to brand, but is true in general.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #22
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
I can understand why you feel that way, however, a sealant is much more work to apply. A good carnuba won't require you to wait for it to dry and speed up the process significantly. With a sealant, you need to come back and do a second wipe down somewhere in the area of 12 hours later. By that time, you have driven the car and you take the chance of possibly grinding dirt into the wheels. Remember, we're talking clear coat here. Clear coat on wheels can get just as swirly as the clear coat on paint. For those of you who have watched my waterless wash videos, you know that this is a major no-no. The less you touch the clear coat, the less opportunity there is for you to swirl up the clear coat. That's Junkman's paint maintenance rule #1!

That's why a carnuba is a much wiser choice.

Actually, a sealant will last longer as far as the length of the protect but in the terms of durability, they are very close to equal. This may very from brand to brand, but is true in general.
OK, you say the less you touch your paint, the less chance of marring etc.
and I agree..This is another reason why the sealant is the wiser choice imo
because you will only haft to do it once ever 4-5 months...With a nuba,you
should do it every month..

And yeh, they are some sealants out there that are very hard to work with.
On the same token, there's alot that are just as easy as a nuba
The last sealant I used (Z-2,Z-5 with ZFX was very easy to apply and take-off.The only hard thing about zaino is its hard to see.:(
BTW,Why do you haft to go back 12 hrs later to wipe again with a sealant??
Old 01-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #23
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
OK, you say the less you touch your paint, the less chance of marring etc.
and I agree..This is another reason why the sealant is the wiser choice imo
because you will only haft to do it once ever 4-5 months...With a nuba,you
should do it every month..
Wrong. There are carnubas on the market that can last just as long as some sealants. Some carnubas are good for 4-5 months.

Quote:
And yeh, they are some sealants out there that are very hard to work with.
On the same token, there's alot that are just as easy as a nuba
The last sealant I used (Z-2,Z-5 with ZFX was very easy to apply and take-off.The only hard thing about zaino is its hard to see.:(
BTW,Why do you haft to go back 12 hrs later to wipe again with a sealant??
Zaino, although a superb product that I used extensively must be built up before a significant level of protection is obtained. This is what Sal Zaino states in his instructions on product use. There's nothing wrong with that, you just end up doing more work.

As for a subsequent wipe downs of a sealant, sealants have to cure. You need to apply them in very thin coats (just as you do Zaino's products). Once the product has cured (usually 12-18 hours later), you need to come back and do a second wipe down to ensure that you have removed all of the excess product, ESPECIALLY if you plan on layering the protection. Failing to do so will cloud up the shine.

Again, simplicity is what makes the carnuba a better choice.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-29-2010 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #24
IOM-SS

Drives: 2010 SS RS 2G1FT1EWXA9163596
Smile in left field?

[QUOTE=Junkman2008;1428098]Wrong. There are carnubas on the market that can last just as long as some sealants. Some carnubas are good for 4-5 months.

Zaino, although a superb product that I use to use must be built up before a significant level of protection is obtained. This is what Sal Zaino states in his instructions on product use. There's nothing wrong with that, you just end up doing more work.

As for a subsequent wipe downs of a sealant, sealants have to cure. You need to apply them in very thin coats (just as you do Zaino's products). Once the product has cured (usually 12-18 hours later), you need to come back and do a second wipe down to ensure that you have removed all of the excess product, ESPECIALLY if you plan on layering the protection. Failing to do so will cloud up the shine.

Again, simplicity is what makes the carnuba a better choice. [/QUOTE

use McGuire’s gold glass then, call it spider web remover comes in a burgundy bottle, takes all the fine lines out after using regular microfiber cloth. also use microfiber cloth with spider web remover any advice would be wellcome it has beern done once since i brought her home.
Air Force "it is not the fall that kills them it is the sudden stop" NKP Thailand 66-67
IOM-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #25
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno-Orange-Metallic View Post
[use McGuire’s gold glass then, call it spider web remover comes in a burgundy bottle, takes all the fine lines out after using regular microfiber cloth. also use microfiber cloth with spider web remover any advice would be wellcome it has beern done once since i brought her home.
Air Force "it is not the fall that kills them it is the sudden stop" NKP Thailand 66-67
Okay, I think that you are asking if the product you are using is okay. Frankly, I don't use OTC products. Meguiar's makes a much better professional line of products that I would rather use. Also, the microfiber towels that you get from Costco, Auto Zone and the like are NOT what you want to using on your paint or wheels. Those things are like soft sandpaper and will eventually scratch up your paint and wheels.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #26
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Maybe i need me some of those Wagner brake pads....

Are these the ones:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1175196039___
Old 01-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #27
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Maybe i need me some of those Wagner brake pads....

Are these the ones:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._1175196039___
Exactly, only I got mine from O'Reilly's and they came with a lifetime warranty. That means, I don't have to buy another set, just take in the old ones with my receipt and they give me a new set. Mine were $10 cheaper too.

You will be amazed at the fact that they leave ZERO dust. It is hard to believe that they are that good. I have no issues stopping and with the way I drive, stopping fast is sometimes mandatory!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #28
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Exactly, only I got mine from O'Reilly's and they came with a lifetime warranty. That means, I don't have to buy another set, just take in the old ones with my receipt and they give me a new set. Mine were $10 cheaper too.

You will be amazed at the fact that they leave ZERO dust. It is hard to believe that they are that good. I have no issues stopping and with the way I drive, stopping fast is sometimes mandatory!
Thanks! I don't know if there are any O'Reilly's out here in CA, but i'll have to go shopping around!