Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 10-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #15
Corner carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Bear with me for those pics, its pouring rain here and i don't have a garage

I plan on throwing a jack under the car and taking the wheel off to get some clear pics for you.
Corner carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #16
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Hope its ok, here are pics of the upgrade we did.
Attached Images

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #17
Corner carver

thanks fellas!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 AM   #18
Corner carver

Here's some close ups of the front 'HD' brake setup on my 2.0 RS
It was hard to measure on the car, but I believe the rotors are 12.5" or just ever so slightly larger.

Edit: they're 12.6"
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #19
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Thank you corner carver! Those are the same casting as the ATS Brembo calipers I already have, as well as the ones I bought that are on the way.

This confirms my theory that 2.0 brembos are slightly different from the Ss ones. You can see from gen5fiys pic that they are slightly different although they bolt on still... I wonder if the SS uses a larger rotor? The 2.0 brembo rotor is 321mm iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #20
Cgc15

Drives: 2017 1lt 2.0t white
I'll try and check the rotor size on my sisters SS.
Cgc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 PM   #21
Blu-Zee

Drives: 16 1LT Camaro 2.0T
Now will these larger calipers and rotors clear on a base car with the 18 inch wheels?

While on the Chevy website I found that you could only get the upgraded brakes with the RS package as well. This led me to believe they would not work with the 18 inch wheel being the RS comes with the 20 inch wheels.

Does anybody have any info on this?
Old 10-24-2016, 09:45 PM   #22
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Zee View Post
Now will these larger calipers and rotors clear on a base car with the 18 inch wheels?

While on the Chevy website I found that you could only get the upgraded brakes with the RS package as well. This led me to believe they would not work with the 18 inch wheel being the RS comes with the 20 inch wheels.

I find that you can add the "Performance Brake Upgrade Kit" in either 4 piston or 6 piston Brembo if you go the the Exterior options page when you are "building the car" on the chevy website.

You can add either without it trying to make you get the RS package, or just at the 20" wheels...

I believe that if you try to buy the "Heavy Duty Cooling and Brake PACKAGE" on the package option page, that's what makes you... I think the wheel size may have something to do with the extra coolers? I know it's a far fetched theory, but when I look up brake rotors I see options for both Brembo opt WITH HD cooling package, and Brembo opt WITHOUT HD cooling package... This makes me thing the HD cooling stuff, may be in the way of the brakes/wheels somehow???

I can say that I was able to put my 17" skinny wheels for drag racing on over the stock non brembo brakes... But once I get these new calipers in and I get one bolted on, I will try the 17" wheel again and see how much room there is.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #23
Corner carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Zee View Post

I believe these brake calipers will clear an 18" wheel... The ATS has 18" wheels and a very SIMILAR 4 piston Brembo setup from the factory...(guy here at work has a ATS 2.0 and i was checking out that exact thing)

I don't believe the HD coolers would effect the rotor/caliper setup on these cars (they do not protrude into the wheel well what so ever... You can see the extra coolers above in the fenders of the pics I posted... Don't know why there's different brakes for an HD or non HD setup; I was under the impression (at least when ordering) that to get one you had to get the other (coolers and brakes are a package, can't order separately)...

Good shot of the plastic sway bar end links too
Old 10-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #24
Blu-Zee

Drives: 16 1LT Camaro 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corner carver View Post
I believe these brake calipers will clear an 18" wheel... The ATS has 18" wheels and a very SIMILAR 4 piston Brembo setup from the factory...(guy here at work has a ATS 2.0 and i was checking out that exact thing)

Good shot of the plastic sway bar end links too
That would make sense being the ATS has 18" wheels. Thanks for the info. I compared the brakes to a friends ecoboost Mustang. They look awfully small on the Camaro compared to the Mustang. Probably will be in for a future upgrade.

Those plastic sway bar end link will be upgraded soon. I was cursed with those on my C5.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #25
2SSRS@Gen5diy

My car will be here late Saturday i will put the 18" rimes on to test if you like.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #26
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
Thank you corner carver! Those are the same casting as the ATS Brembo calipers I already have, as well as the ones I bought that are on the way.

This confirms my theory that 2.0 brembos are slightly different from the Ss ones. You can see from gen5fiys pic that they are slightly different although they bolt on still... I wonder if the SS uses a larger rotor? The 2.0 brembo rotor is 321mm iirc.

If you go here you will see that the owner said the rotors are 345mm for the SS car.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:21 PM   #27
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
My car will be here late Saturday i will put the 18" rimes on to test if you like.
That would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
If you go here you will see that the owner said the rotors are 345mm for the SS car.
That makes sense as the SS caliper casting looks different. Funny thing is that the stock 5th gen v6 rotors were 321mm, that's what I used on my Chevelle with the ats calipers...

I don't know what the stock sized 2.0 with the jl9 brake rpo rotors are. I'm guessing smaller than 321mm

Old 10-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #28
sureshshanmugam79

Drives: Summit White 1LT RS I4 M6
Hello,

Is Brembo 4 piston Calipers considered Heavy Duty or only 6 Pistons are heavy duty?
Mine 2.0 6S came has a Brembo 4 piston and this was an upgraded option, but saw another one with a larger rotor and caliper which was a six piston Brembo.

I am under the assumption that Brembo 4 piston are standard and six pistons are additional options. Is that correct? or is there a smaller OE caliper other than the Brembo 4 Pistons?

Thanks,
Suresh
sureshshanmugam79 is offline   Reply With Quote