Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #71
DwRed1LTV6

Drives: '11 VR 2LT HHr
Looking Nice... !

Wish i had a garage like that

My Camaro and the HHR..sit in a garage that

was built in 1952 by my father.

In Pic isnt my HHR or my Camaro but thats how close it

was for the TrailBlazer SS and Blazer Xtreme.

junk on the side of the blazer is gone now.

DwRed1LTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #72
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Garage doors are being intstalled today. I may not make it home in time tonight for pics though, but soon.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #73
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
They knew we planned to use the attic area as storage & they installed the partial attic flooring & the attic access ladder so I would hope they figured that in. Mike commented that they were using some sort of special bracing that is supposed to be for hurricane force winds (new codes?). As for weight, we are no spring chickens so I doubt we will be hauling any heavy stuff up there but even so I know weight can add up. The builders seem to be doing a really good job so I assume they do know what they are doing. If anyone that is a builder sees anything to the contrary or can tell me what to check, that would be good. They come pretty highly recomended, both the parent company (Outback Builders) and this particular contractor/franchisee(sp?). Mike checked them out on-line pretty thouroughly along with the other contractors we got bids from. This guy impressed Mike from the get-go. He looked at our cars & said "How about I get you 10' wide garage doors so getting in & out will be easier for you". No one else even mentioned that as a possibility. He has done several things like that to try to accomodate our needs rather than putting some cookie-cutter garage up. The crews have all been real hard workers who seem to do good work. I'm no builder either but my dad was & Mike's dad too. We have both have heard enough things from them to have a pretty good feeling about these guys. I hope I'm right. Good thought to consider though for sure. Anyone feel free to chime in.
Ruby,
I have been a residential builder for almost 20 years. It looks like the ceiling joist on your trusses are 2x6 and they will hold some weight.......not real sure exactly how much since I do not know the spans and materials used but it will be greta for attic storage.

IF you are planning on finishing the inside with drywall ( Which I HIGHLY recommend) then the rating will go down a bit because of the drywall weight
factor.

WIDER garage door are always better but more expensive , standard are 9 wide 7 tall but tend to get kinda tight so the added width was a GREAT choice...you will not regret it and probably will wish you had went wider....I know I do and I have 10' wide doors with one 16' door in the middle....but are garages ever really big enough....NO...we just run out of money or land....LOL

It looks great and they appear to have done a good job.

Usually word of mouth is a great business card. If they are licensed, have a good rep....which appears they do then you should be fine.

JMHO.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #74
RubyCamaro
Jan

Thanks Dr Jkel. Right now we are thinking of peg board upper & bead board lower walls with chair railing in-between. Can't decide on insulation. It is fun doing all the research & deciding on things though. Looks like I will get off early so pics soon to follow!.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #75
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
I would definitely insulate the walls if your budget allows. I have an attached garage and 2 of the 3 main walls are insulated because they are against my house. I wish I had insulated that exterior wall when it was in studs.

Now it will be tougher with drywall up but even though I have one uninsulated wall my garage rarely goes below 32 degrees unless the outside temps get into the single digits. I would bet it get a lot colder if I did not have those 2 insulated walls.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #76
RubyCamaro
Jan

And now there are garage doors:
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #77
Tribute

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL770 #17 (Hugger Orange)
Looks great, pretty much ready to be home to two sweet rides!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #78
Black Lightning

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Very nice!!

Red hood spears; Corsa cat-back exhaust; Roto-fab intake; Engine bay black/red theme; Black outs including both bowties, tail lights, tail light bezels, and side lamps; gill stripes; 35% window tints; Side SS badges; Hurst-equipped badge.
Black Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #79
RubyCamaro
Jan

We went out today & picked up a few things from my parents house & bought a few more for the garage. Here are pics. Is anyone here old enough to be able to identify what the wooden cabinet is and willing to admit it? I have to admit I am old enough to know.
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #80
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
I do, I do!! And it's in great shape too! Oh, it's an ice cooler. I say that because there should be a door with a tray inside to put the block of ice on. It looks like it has a bottle opener on it as well.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #81
RubyCamaro
Jan

You got it! Here is a pic with the doors open. Today was installation day for the TV and pics of that.
Attached Images

Old 04-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #82
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
That looks nice. If I put a TV in my garage my wife would be very upset. She says I spent too much time out there now.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #83
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Ruby,

Looks great..I would seriously consider insulating you garage for a couple of different reason.

As with any garage you will put thing in it that are sensative to climate, including your car.

If you have any detailing supplies they are sensative to temperature etc.....

The peg board is a great idea but if it is like in my area it is extremely high. I recommended drywalling at least the ceiling and whatever wallcovering you want to put.

This serves a couple of purposes...The drywall ceiling painted white give a great amount of light without having to put a bunch of lights in the garage...cause you never have enough light in a garage. Secondly it will help control the dust factor....it such a shame to detail you ride, put it in the garage and come back and it be covered in dust.

The builders should know a good drywall guy and it is usually the cheapest cover to do on walls.

For example I paid 900.00 to have the walls and celing done in my garage...my walls are 12' tall and mine is 30 x 42, of course I have used the drywallers alot but it usually runs about .30 a sg ft or around $14.00 a board hung an finished for 4 x 12 sheets of drywall some do it by the job on smaller jobs...Remember cheaper isn't better.....
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #84
RubyCamaro
Jan

Actually, Mike says we can do the pegboard/beadboard cheaper. I am in favor of insulation, but we are doing the inside ourselves a little at a time. We could put up some of the pegboard temporarily then back out the screws when ready to insulate & put it back up. Not so much with drywall. Besides, neither of us can do drywall.

Well nothing much happened this week because we had to wait on the state electrical inspector. He finally came & approved it so the concrete can now be poured for the driveway. Mike was bored so he drug his old (I mean really old) stereo equiptment out of the shed & hooked it up. Everything works except the turntable so if we want to spin our albums we will have to buy a new one. He also bought a sound bar & subwoofer for the TV. He also bought some shelves and his motorcycle has moved in. Here are pics.
Attached Images