Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-30-2012, 01:31 AM   #57
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Your ZL1 has a comprehensive warranty.

While we certainly don't want you upset with the car - and we apologize for the fact that there seems to be an issue with the insert, know that we cover things such as this with the warranty that comes with the ZL1.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #58
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Took the car to the dealership this morning. They didn't bat an eye. Just said "we're going to place this order now we just don't know how long it will take to get the part since this is a difficult part to get. It could be a week, a month, or six months"

I told them that was unacceptable. I came home and called Chevy customer service and informed them of my extreme displeasure and they said they would call the dealership to work with them on expediting the part.

I was given a case number and my reps direct contact info and to expect a call later today.

We also went over acceptable fixes. I told them my first and most important was a direct replacement. A second acceptable was a temporary painted one while they wait for the exposed. And the least acceptable was a painted replacement with a $600 refund.

We'll see what happens.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #59
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Oh and thanks to fbodfather and Brandon for replying to my PMs regarding the matter. I know you guys are busy.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:51 AM   #60
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
A second acceptable was a temporary painted one while they wait for the exposed.We'll see what happens.
I doubt they'll do this, but even if they offered I would leave it alone until the replacement is available. The more they touch your car, the more opportunity for something else to be messed up. Hopefully, the part will come in soon.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #61
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
I doubt they'll do this, but even if they offered I would leave it alone until the replacement is available. The more they touch your car, the more opportunity for something else to be messed up. Hopefully, the part will come in soon.
I know that they wouldn't do that one most likely. I just wanted to stress how much a direct replacement is on the importance scale and how least I wanted to swap a painted one in there even with a refund.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #62
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Oh and thanks to fbodfather and Brandon for replying to my PMs regarding the matter. I know you guys are busy.
Thank you very much for the shout out G-Oil Guy! If anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact me!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #63
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
The best time to inspect the insert would be when it is hot as there will be some expansion and if there are any fissures it will be more noticeable. When the insert is cold it would be more difficult to see any small fissures as they would be closed as the product would be contracted.
I hope the designers knew what they were doing when using dissimilar materials on the hood, being from the Fibre industry I have seen some poor placement of the products.

On another note, it would almost be impossible for the part to crack after it was cured, this happened as it was made, probably a poor release from the mold. If your part is good now you are golden.
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #64
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorZL1 View Post
The best time to inspect the insert would be when it is hot as there will be some expansion and if there are any fissures it will be more noticeable. When the insert is cold it would be more difficult to see any small fissures as they would be closed as the product would be contracted.
I hope the designers knew what they were doing when using dissimilar materials on the hood, being from the Fibre industry I have seen some poor placement of the products.

On another note, it would almost be impossible for the part to crack after it was cured, this happened as it was made, probably a poor release from the mold. If your part is good now you are golden.

Good to know man. Like I said, I found mine with the car cold (so to speak) sitting in a hot garage. I also went back and looked at pics right after delivery from the dealership and you can see the cracks/blemishes there and the car was driven for all of 5 minutes.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #65
THR ZL1 #1
Perma Grinning

Drives: 2012 Tom Henry Racing ZL1
So a post about a damaged part started on a SUNDAY . . . get THREE pages of complaints . .

The dealer is ordering you a new insert and this STILL isn't good enough?

Good grief . . . some people are NEVER happy

I cannot believe that you bothered Scott with such a issue ON A SUNDAY!

It's not like the dealer said they would not do anything . . . I just cannot understand the over the top expectations of today's car buyers . . sorry . .
THR ZL1 #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #66
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THR ZL1 #1 View Post
So a post about a damaged part started on a SUNDAY . . . get THREE pages of complaints . .

The dealer is ordering you a new insert and this STILL isn't good enough?

Good grief . . . some people are NEVER happy

I cannot believe that you bothered Scott with such a issue ON A SUNDAY!

It's not like the dealer said they would not do anything . . . I just cannot understand the over the top expectations of today's car buyers . . sorry . .
Um no.

First, I found this on a Sunday made a post about it and PM'd two people who have the means to make sure its corrected.

Second, the three pages are full of people checking their cars and reporting theirs are ok and in one other case that they have significant more damage. And in the first page there are people telling me that the pictures are not showing up.

Third, these are obvious manufacturer errors, from the part supplier, that should have been caught during QC on the car. If it wasn't checked for QC, why was the car held for a month after it was built until it was shipped.

Fourth, we dropped a significant amount of money on these cars and they should be as close to perfect as possible. I don't see people with base model vettes complaining of issues like this and they drop similar amounts of cash.

Fifth, If this is the start of an issue GM needs to know about it to either A. find a new part supplier or B. make sure that the deployed fleet and future ZL1s don't suffer from the same defect. GM asked me what an acceptable remedy was. NOT the dealer. My dealer has been great and has done their job. I was talking with GM to let them know about a potential issue. They asked me what I wanted as an ultimate remedy.

Sixth, if you read the thread you would have seen that I was happy with what the dealer did for me. They straight up ordered the part with no question nor hesitation. What I was upset about was that there was no time table given on when to expect a repair (Would a six month wait be acceptable to you?) nor could they tell me if the cracks would get worse with driving effectively grounding the car. Again, would that be acceptable to you?

Seventh, making a post and sending Scott a one PM on a Sunday does not constitute "bothering". If I had barraged him with PMs and incessant nagging that would be bothering.

Eighth, I posted a sincere thank you to both Scott and Brandon (Chevy Customer Service), to which Brandon replied.

Thank you. Good day.

Last edited by G-Oil Guy; 07-30-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added an 8th point.
G-Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #67
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
I can't understand having such issues and delays with the hood inserts back in 2012, then fast forward to 2013 models and I have to deal with having a huge 1.5" crack in mine from normal use of what I can only assume is from opening and closing the hood.... I think it is something that should be brought to everyone's attention that this is happening, cause it shouldn't be. If G-Oil hadn't already created this post this weekend I would have. If my dealer's service guy calls me back and states they will order a new insert then I will be perfectly happy, and hopefully I'll have better luck with a new one. The thing I'm worried about, and others are probably worry about is getting the run around from our dealers on this type of issue.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #68
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
I can't understand having such issues and delays with the hood inserts back in 2012, then fast forward to 2013 models and I have to deal with having a huge 1.5" crack in mine from normal use of what I can only assume is from opening and closing the hood.... I think it is something that should be brought to everyone's attention that this is happening, cause it shouldn't be. If G-Oil hadn't already created this post this weekend I would have. If my dealer's service guy calls me back and states they will order a new insert then I will be perfectly happy, and hopefully I'll have better luck with a new one. The thing I'm worried about, and others are probably worry about is getting the run around from our dealers on this type of issue.
Right there with ya JMAN. Did you take yours to the dealership yet? Just a heads up, they're gonna need pictures. My service manager took a bunch of photos. It appears because of the limited availability that GM requires proof of damage before ordering a new insert.

I got to chatting with Maureen while ordering my new floor mats and she said she tried to order someone an insert because they had the painted one and the GM people requested photos of the damaged one. She also looked at some stuff on her end (she didn't tell me what) and mentioned that in her opinion she thought they should be able to expedite one to me quickly. So we'll see what happens.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #69
JMAN311

Quote:
Right there with ya JMAN. Did you take yours to the dealership yet? Just a heads up, they're gonna need pictures. My service manager took a bunch of photos. It appears because of the limited availability that GM requires proof of damage before ordering a new insert.

I got to chatting with Maureen while ordering my new floor mats and she said she tried to order someone an insert because they had the painted one and the GM people requested photos of the damaged one. She also looked at some stuff on her end (she didn't tell me what) and mentioned that in her opinion she thought they should be able to expedite one to me quickly. So we'll see what happens.
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to go over there after work since I haven't got a call back yet. I'll let you know what they say.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
Old 07-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #70
JMAN311

Just got back from the dealership. Took like 30min, but after the body shop guy talked to enough of the right people they are going to order in a replacement ECF insert through warranty (no ETA for the part). They are also going to have their vinyl guy come and repair their tech's mishap with my dash when he was installing the footwell lighting kit. My poor car, I haven't even had it a week yet.

Name:  dash.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  119.3 KB
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM

Tags
damaged insert, defects, exposed carbon fiber, insert cracked