Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
Hexe2012

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray LS2 V6 Auto trans
Reverse Clunk TSB: PIP4554F

Hello all, just got my girl back from the dealership. Since I bought her there has been a clunk from the rear end whenever I put her into reverse. It started out very subtle then got progressively louder/harder--to the point you could feel the "clunk" through the frame/steering wheel. I know a couple other folks have mentioned the issue on the forum, but try as I might I never could find a TSB on the issue. Turns out however there is a TSB on the reverse clunk deal.

The TSB printout I have from the dealer applies to the 2012 V6 w/auto tranny Camaros, but I would not doubt there are prior bulletins for earlier models with a similar issue.

The actual bulletin header is as follows:

#PIP4554F: Clunk Noise After Shifting From Reverse To Drive Or Drive To Reverse And Then Accelerating--(Jan 11, 2012)

Propeller shaft flange/output shft flange nut replacement (with adhesive) is the prescribed repair method. Took just over 3 hours to complete and seems to have done the trick.

Hope this helps anyone who has the problem and may be having issues with their dealer getting it resolved. There is a TSB out there so don't let them tell you otherwise. I was "fortunate" enough that my problem was bad/loud enough that the service manager heard it right off and took care of it with no fuss. Heck, when he jumped in to test drive it I heard it from where I stood OUTSIDE the car when he tried to back out of the parking spot.

Of course if this is old news to ya'll, just disregard and accept my apologies!

Hexe2012
Hexe2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
BNB
Rollin' The Lunchbox

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey
Finally a TSB!!! I pointed this out to my dealer after buying the car and said GM hasn't sent them anything...thank you sir! So now while it's in for the torque converter they can fix this!

Sent from the front seat of the Amberlamps!
BNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
bnorman

Drives: 2015 1SS
Same Issue

Only had for 2 weeks maybe now, noticed it backing out of my driveway. I have another issue with a paint defect on the hood so I will be heading to the dealership to get fixed.

Also, noticed so far the three of us have AGM. Hmm, coincidence
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
Hexe2012

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray LS2 V6 Auto trans
Maybe the shocking beauty of the Ashen Gray Metallic paint distracts the drive train installers at the factory from doing their jobs properly!
Hexe2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexe2012 View Post
Hello all, just got my girl back from the dealership. Since I bought her there has been a clunk from the rear end whenever I put her into reverse. It started out very subtle then got progressively louder/harder--to the point you could feel the "clunk" through the frame/steering wheel. I know a couple other folks have mentioned the issue on the forum, but try as I might I never could find a TSB on the issue. Turns out however there is a TSB on the reverse clunk deal.

The TSB printout I have from the dealer applies to the 2012 V6 w/auto tranny Camaros, but I would not doubt there are prior bulletins for earlier models with a similar issue.

The actual bulletin header is as follows:

#PIP4554F: Clunk Noise After Shifting From Reverse To Drive Or Drive To Reverse And Then Accelerating--(Jan 11, 2012)

Propeller shaft flange/output shft flange nut replacement (with adhesive) is the prescribed repair method. Took just over 3 hours to complete and seems to have done the trick.

Hope this helps anyone who has the problem and may be having issues with their dealer getting it resolved. There is a TSB out there so don't let them tell you otherwise. I was "fortunate" enough that my problem was bad/loud enough that the service manager heard it right off and took care of it with no fuss. Heck, when he jumped in to test drive it I heard it from where I stood OUTSIDE the car when he tried to back out of the parking spot.

Of course if this is old news to ya'll, just disregard and accept my apologies!

Hexe2012
Thanks for sharing Hexe2012!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 09-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
BNB
Rollin' The Lunchbox

Drives: 2012 Camaro Ashen Grey
Fellas I like how y'all are thinking..isn't AGM the best color?!

Sent from the front seat of the Amberlamps!
BNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
tdconner

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT RS in Red Hot
This mentioned TSB fixed this issue on my 2013 LS Auto.

My 2014 LT RS has the same issue, making service appointment for this on 04/20/15 at the same dealer that performed the fix on my 13. Surprising that this TSB was still an issue on a 14 (not fixed yet from factory)
tdconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
Had mine done today for the same thing. This was my second trip. The service guy tried to tell me it's normal.
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #9
ShadowYYZ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT Deep Magenta
Same boat
ShadowYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 06:19 PM   #10
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
I have a 2015 2LS with 2,000 miles on it and believe I am having the same issue. Believe it or not, mine is also AGM in color!

When I shift into reverse, I hear/feel a small click before moving. I think this may be happening when shifting into drive as well (need to investigate further). Definitely doesn't feel normal for a brand new car...

I will eventually bring it in to the dealer but want to make sure Im handling it appropriately. Don't really need or want a random tech playing around in my car to "repeat the issue."

I just want them to put it on the lift and make the repair according to the bulletin. Not try and dis prove what I am telling them as false. Not sure why I have this mentality before even talking to them about it. Just particular with my cars I guess.
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote