Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #1
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
Header clearance

I searched, but did not come up with anything great. What headers hang down the least? My car is lowered, but I am planning on long tubes. Do all of the brands hang down the same, or are there some that have tuck up better than others?

Thanks in advance
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:32 AM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Can't say 100% that all headers hang the same length down even though I can't imagine that one brand would hang lower than another because then the rest of the exhaust would hang lower, but I'll be helping QmaroSS hang Stainless Works headers on a car lowered same height as yours next week. Either he or I will keep you posted on how they do.

Be prepared for the guy who will say "Speed Engineering is the best header ever made in the history of headers! Buy them now because they're cheap as hell! Who cares if they hang high or low because they're cheap!"
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The Pfadt Tri-Y headers are the only long tube headers that fit the ZL1 without needing to trim the belly pan so this would be my choice.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Top Off

I know my Kooks on theG8 hung a little lower than ARH from what I had read. It had to do with the primaries. I know not a fair comparison as two different vehicles. It was not much, like .25 or less if I remember correctly. Very curious to see the comparison between the Kooks and SW once your done.

I know what you mean about the Speed header folks. For the price, seem pretty darn good value but I have read about fitment issues. I also like being able to pick up the phone and talk to the header manufacturer if I have questions/issues.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:04 AM   #5
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Why change what you have? Looks? If you think you will gain "major" hp gains switching think again...with your setup I would think investing into a cam and tune would delivery greater gains.....shorties with your HF cats flow great....you wanna drag race or road race the go for the headers....

So are you US military station in Germany or local? Either way have fun on the autobahn!!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Blazer098

Drives: 2015 Summit White SS
You'll be fine with only lowering springs. My car is lowered almost 2 inches and my headers are fine. Speed bumps require just a slight angle, but that's needed anyways for my splitter.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
VvtBEAST

Drives: 2011 camaro 2SS/RS
1.25 drop here running stainless power. No issues yet. Seem to have pretty good clearance.
VvtBEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Can't say 100% that all headers hang the same length down even though I can't imagine that one brand would hang lower than another because then the rest of the exhaust would hang lower, but I'll be helping QmaroSS hang Stainless Works headers on a car lowered same height as yours next week. Either he or I will keep you posted on how they do.

Be prepared for the guy who will say "Speed Engineering is the best header ever made in the history of headers! Buy them now because they're cheap as hell! Who cares if they hang high or low because they're cheap!"
If this is a shot at me, I have never claimed that they are the best headers made. However, with that said, fitment and quality wise, I can't find any reason to pay double or triple the price vs the other brands. I don't ever remember them hanging down very much either. I didn't check from the side in great detail though. I believe another member has them installed with a good side view pic to show how they hang. My car wasn't lowered and the only time I recall them ever catching on anything was over this one particular speed bump that actually is more like an off road obstacle vs speed bump. Even crawling over it, I still managed to scrape a bit, but that was the only rare occasion I absolutely had to cross it. Primaries never hit, it was the wanna be "cats" the tie the headers into the exhaust.

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #9
pyroguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
If this is a shot at me, I have never claimed that they are the best headers made.
Nope, not a shot at you specifically. There have been a few people that always say that Speed Engineering is the best thing ever. I was just exaggerating a little to make a point much like the can't understand paying "double or triple" stuff. To each his own. Just commenting how on every header thread lately there's always someone who says "don't buy 'X' brand header when Speed Engineering is the best header ever".
Old 10-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Why change what you have? Looks? If you think you will gain "major" hp gains switching think again...with your setup I would think investing into a cam and tune would delivery greater gains.....shorties with your HF cats flow great....you wanna drag race or road race the go for the headers....

So are you US military station in Germany or local? Either way have fun on the autobahn!!!!
Running a cam with shorties? Not the best idea.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #11
pyroguy

Hey Top Off, I helped QmaroSS install his SW headers yesterday and while under the car I looked to see how they hung down. The headers themselves were at the same level as the subframe. The cats may have been just a little lower hanging simply because of the size of the cats vs the piping, but the headers themselves did not hang down lower than anything else.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #12
Top Off

Thanks for all the updates everyone.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #13
QmaroSS
No regrets the red one!

Drives: 2012 Victory Red 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Hey Top Off, I helped QmaroSS install his SW headers yesterday and while under the car I looked to see how they hung down. The headers themselves were at the same level as the subframe. The cats may have been just a little lower hanging simply because of the size of the cats vs the piping, but the headers themselves did not hang down lower than anything else.
Top Off, I second what pyroguy stated. I just looked again since we installed them yesterday and the cats hang a little lower than the headers because of their size but the headers are right at the level of the subframe.
StainlessWorks LT (JetHot Coating) + HFC + Performance Connect, 3" SW Retro Cat-back, Roto-Fab CF CAI, Bo White PO TB, R1Concepts Drilled-Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads, AirLift Performance 3H suspension, MPD1 Rear Spoiler, Heritage Grill w/ Red SS Sparks Emblem, SLP Front Splitter, NightOwl V2 Halo Kit, Roto-Fab Red Engine cover w/ CF Plenum & Fuse Box Cover

QmaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:19 PM   #14
Top Off

That is great news, so just need to be a little more cautious over bumps and such.